Home Theater Speakers Suggestions for Onkyo TX-NR626

C

Coamex

Audiophyte
Hi all!

I am brand new to this site and would like to tap into the audio knowledge of all you experts out there. I got a Media Room in my home which measures 15'6" x 13' and it is prewired for home theater speakers (5 setup) and a projector. The room only has one door, completely closed. I was originally considering a Home Theater in a box kind of system or a Bose system; however, after reading many of the posts here, I determined that there must be a better way to go.

I started researching some receivers and the Onkyo TX-NR626 got my attention because of its Wi-Fi/Bluetooth feature plus its 7.2 configuration. The decision to go for it was made final after I was walking around my local electronics store and noticed that they had a BRAND NEW Onkyo TX-NR626 on CLEARANCE (!?) for $249!!! Of course, I immediately bought it. Now I need a good set of speakers to go with it and I would really like something that sounds nice. I cannot go too crazy on price, so I am looking at a sub $1,000 system that has the 5 speakers and the subwoofer. I do NOT have a clue about what is good and what would work in my room. I have read that Polk and Infiniti might be good options. PLEASE help me with some suggestions as to what speakers I should get. Thank you!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
That is a steal of a deal on the 626 considering A4L is selling it for $380 plus shipping.

IMO, that room is not big enough for 7.1, stay with a better arranged 5.1 or 5.2 setup.

For speakers look at the EmpTek E55Ti Towers, E56Ci center and E5Bi bookshelf for side speakers. If you hold off for Thanksgiving sales, the lot can be had for much less than advertised. For a subwoofer, get the SVS PB-1000.

C

Coamex

Audiophyte
That is a steal of a deal on the 626 considering A4L is selling it for $380 plus shipping.

IMO, that room is not big enough for 7.1, stay with a better arranged 5.1 or 5.2 setup.

For speakers look at the EmpTek E55Ti Towers, E56Ci center and E5Bi bookshelf for side speakers. If you hold off for Thanksgiving sales, the lot can be had for much less than advertised. For a subwoofer, get the SVS PB-1000.
Thank you for your help and suggestions. Those are very nice looking speakers. I will keep an eye for the Black Friday sale! :)

M

mvp2765

Audiophyte
That is a steal for the Onkyo TX-NR626. I also plan to get this Receiver on black friday, but I'm still trying to figure out what speakers to pair up with. Those speakers listed above do seem a little above my budget.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
That is a steal for the Onkyo TX-NR626. I also plan to get this Receiver on black friday, but I'm still trying to figure out what speakers to pair up with. Those speakers listed above do seem a little above my budget.
What's your budget?

M

mvp2765

Audiophyte
500$-800$ for the speakers & Sub. I'm basically looking for the best budget Home theater system for around $1,000 total. I really like the wireless technology features of the TX-NR626 which is why I'm looking at that receiver and not just an out of the box HT system. I'm not looking for anything amazing, just something to get by on while I'm living in a Studio downtown Chicago.

Sorry to steal your thread OP.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
500$-800$ for the speakers & Sub. I'm basically looking for the best budget Home theater system for around $1,000 total. I really like the wireless technology features of the TX-NR626 which is why I'm looking at that receiver and not just an out of the box HT system. I'm not looking for anything amazing, just something to get by on while I'm living in a Studio downtown Chicago.
With a decent sub, you can get by without towers. the Cambridge S30 can play down to 60 hz
I would get 3 pairs, and use 1 each as a center - if you can not place 1 each as a center >>>
then 2 pair and the S50 center - Pioneer is nice - however, I prefer Cambridge
Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!

And look at the JBL 150P sub at Newegg - $149 with rebate - and it measures nice
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882665157

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Sorry to steal your thread OP.
Chicago eh? The Fry's in Downer's Grove has the Infinity Primus P363 towers currently on sale for $107 each. I suggest you grab a pair. Hell, if your setup allows for it, grab some for the center speaker and surround speakers too. That way you could could run all speakers full range with no sub and still get reasonably good bass.

M

mvp2765

Audiophyte
that pioneer 5.1 system is looking really attractive right now. and I don't see those infinity 363 towers at 107$ each. are they that price in the store only? I will also check out that cambridge s30 system too! thanks for the advice guys!

C

Coamex

Audiophyte
Hey guys. Thank you again for your help. I want to get some expert feedback on my about-to-happen purchase: I bought the following set (have not paid for it, yet, so can go back) for the following prices:

- BIC Acoustech PL-200 12" 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer: $279
- BIC Acoustech PL-66 Surround Speakers (Pair): $199
- BIC Acoustech PL-76 Tower Speakers (Pair): $279
- BIC Acoustech PL-28 Center Channel Speaker: $169

All with FREE shipping and Full Manufacturer Warranty that is around 8 years! These will go with my Onkyo TX-NR626 that I got for $249.99. Are these a good set of speakers and receiver combo for my media room? Are these good quality speakers?? Thank you very much for your help!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard that BIC sub and it is well worth the price. No comment on the rest of the lot since I've never heard them.

M

mvp2765

Audiophyte
So I've listened to those pioneer FS52 towers and the infinity P363 towers. The pioneers sounded better because they had more bass, but I've heard that you need a lot of hours to break in the Infinity's. The guy at Fry's electronics was trying to get me to buy klipsch bookshelf speakers instead, along with a 12 or 10 inch klipsch sub.

The infinity towers were 107$ a piece, but were sold out. Since they told me over the phone they had them in stock, they gave me a rain check for 2 of them at that price. So I have the option to still get them with in 30 days. Still not sure tho.

I did listen to the JBL 150P sub, and it didn't seem that great.. But again, I'm not sure how these stores set up their speakers & receivers and the spaces they confine them too. I feel that you can easily make one speaker/sub sound better than another by tuning.

I do plan to buy the NR626 Receiver on black Friday. And Unless I get a whole speaker package, I may be just looking at getting 2 front speakers and a sub as a start. Then later down the road move those front speakers to the rear and get better front speakers and a center speaker.

Btw, I'm more into loud music over sitting down and watching movies which is why I don't think it would be an issue just getting front speakers and a sub at the beginning.

Thanks for the guidance and let me know what else you guys think.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, go for quality over quantity. EmpTek E55Ti towers ($600/pair @ sale price), when compared to the Pioneer FS52 or Infinity 363, will be a considerable jump in sounds quality, albeit, at the price of a full 5.1 package from the other two.

If not, the Pioneer or Infinity are my only recommendations for a budget 5.1 setup.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Btw, I'm more into loud music over sitting down and watching movies which is why I don't think it would be an issue just getting front speakers and a sub at the beginning.

Thanks for the guidance and let me know what else you guys think.
For mostly music 2.1 is a good option - The EMP towers look nice.

For a tight budget, also look at HTD Level Two towers.
HTD Level TWO Tower Speakers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis