Home theater speaker selection

S

semschaf

Audiophyte
Please help! I am in the process of choosing equipment for a home theater/entertainment area. It will be used for 80 percent movies, 20 percent music. I am not an audiophile but would like the system to sound good. The room is 17x45x13. The couch is about 14 feet from the tv which is mounted over a fireplace. My budget is $6000-$10000. I was considering def tech mythos 10 for lcr, gem xl x4 for surrounds, 2 Hsu VTF-15h subwoofers, and denon 4311 receiver. I have grown skeptical of the on walls but I am limited with center channel options due to the tv mounting. Please give any ideas as to what you would suggest. I am open to on walls and floor standing, although my wife would prefer on walls. Thanks

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Obviously: my recommendation remains the same as on AVS :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was considering def tech mythos 10 for lcr, gem xl x4 for surrounds, 2 Hsu VTF-15h subwoofers, and denon 4311 receiver. I have grown skeptical of the on walls but I am limited with center channel options due to the tv mounting.
The Hsu VTF-15h x 2 & Denon 4311 are fine.

Can you mount the center speaker above or below the TV?

I bought the TAD 2201 for $1691/pr delivered (MSRP $3K).

TAD at Music Direct

They're very accurate w/ excellent off-axis up to 60 degrees. They also sound as loud as my B&W 802D2, which is 90dB/2.83V/m.

TAD makes 4 speakers: an $80K tower, $30K tower, $30K monitor, and $3K monitor (TAD 2201).

3 pairs of TAD 2201 would be $5K delivered. It would be a 6.2 system.

Electronics Expo sold the Denon 4311 for $1225 delivered (deal on the phone). See if they have some more in stock. Also talk to Vanns & Onecall and see if they will match that $1225 price.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
tv which is mounted over a fireplace... I am limited with center channel options due to the tv mounting.
The first thing is, even if you are not big on audio, light from the fireplace will interfere with the video by way of glare. This may be a non issue if the fireplace is not being used. Further, if you mount the TV elsewhere, you will not be limited in center channel placement.

I am open to on walls and floor standing, although my wife would prefer on walls.
Yeah! If the door is slightly open, we're going to kick it wide open. We're definitely not doing on walls. Done and done.

It will be used for 80 percent movies, 20 percent music... The room is 17x45x13. The couch is about 14 feet... My budget is $6000-$10000. I was considering def tech mythos 10 for lcr, gem xl x4 for surrounds, 2 Hsu VTF-15h subwoofers, and denon 4311 receiver. I have grown skeptical of the on walls but I am limited with center channel options due to the tv mounting.
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower = $2000
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Horizon = $1000 (If this is a tough sell, just go without a center channel altogether.)
4x Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 = $1800
2x Power Sound Audio XV30b = $2540
Denon 4311 = $1100
Emotiva XPA-2 = $680

Best $10,000 I ever spent :D.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The Hsu VTF-15h x 2 & Denon 4311 are fine.

Can you mount the center speaker above or below the TV?

I bought the TAD 2201 for $1691/pr delivered (MSRP $3K).

TAD at Music Direct

They're very accurate w/ excellent off-axis up to 60 degrees. They also sound as loud as my B&W 802D2, which is 90dB/2.83V/m.

TAD makes 4 speakers: an $80K tower, $30K tower, $30K monitor, and $3K monitor (TAD 2201).

3 pairs of TAD 2201 would be $5K delivered. It would be a 6.2 system.

Electronics Expo sold the Denon 4311 for $1225 delivered (deal on the phone). See if they have some more in stock. Also talk to Vanns & Onecall and see if they will match that $1225 price.
It appears the only TAD speaker on the TAD site being offered is the rather nice TAD Reference One

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis