Home theater speaker advice please...

J

jikjak

Audiophyte
hi there,

a friend of mine referred me to this site so i registered today. i joined to learn more about a/v equipment and basically to get some help in putting together a home theater system. i recently got married and the condo that my wife and i purchased is going to be completed very soon (this month) and im in charge of purchasing the electronics while she deals with the furniture. im hoping that you guys can help me choose a nice 5.1 speaker setup.

ive posted a floor plan of the condo below and i plan to have the television mounted to the left of the word LIVING on the floorplan. based on the numbers (28ft x 20ft), it seems that the whole open area (living room, dining room, kitchen and entry way) around the home theater system measures approximately 560 square feet. the condo has 9 foot ceilings so i guess the volume of the area would be around 5,040 cubic feet. please correct me if im wrong.

ive ordered a 65" ZT series panasonic plasma tv and will most likely have it wall mounted, and ive already purchased a pioneer SC-1328-K receiver (apparently its the same as an elite sc-72) and im looking for a good 5.1 speaker setup to go along with it. i would say that 80% of the time this setup will be used for movies and video games and the remaining 20% will be for listening to music. im hoping to budget the speakers and sub to $2000 but it would be great to get something closer to $1000. i dont mind some higher priced suggestions to consider as well.

so far, ive tried out a pair of klipsch synergy F10 tower speakers with a synergy C10 center channel and a synergy 12" down-firing subwoofer and i didnt really like the sound. it was nice and loud but the bass was quite loose and i prefer tighter bass. i also noticed that the treble sounds were not very sharp and clear.

i also tried out a pair of JBL loft 50 tower speakers with a loft 20 center channel and the same klipsch sub mentioned above. these look nice and sleek and the treble sounds were quite sharp and clear. the bass was decent and had some punch to them but at times they seemed to be hollow as if something is missing. they dont seem to be loud enough overall since i have to crank the volume quite high to get some decent sound out of them. overall they arent bad and im tempted to keep them and find a different sub since they were a pretty good boxing day deal, ($600 for the 5 speaker set, surrounds are a pair of loft 30 bookshelfs).

i definitely do not like the klipsch 12" down firing sub (sub-12).

overall, id rather buy once and cry once and be happy with a setup that will last a very long time.

anyways sorry for the long post, i hope i didnt bore you with all these details. im looking forward to any suggestions you guys have.

thanks so much in advance!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis