Home Theater Setup (What would you upgrade?)

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
Since I've purchased a 2.1 system for my office, I've been rebitten by the audio bug. I'm now looking at my home theater and wondering if I should upgrade anything. Here's my system...

7.2 channel system

Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2200W
BluRay: Denon DVD 2500BTCI
Television: Panasonic TC-P50UI
Sub: Outlaw Audio LFM-1
Sub: Velodyne Servo FSR-12
Main Speakers: Klipsch RB-25
Center Channel: Klipsch RC3
Surround: Klipsch RS25
Surround back: Kilpsch RSX-4
Apple TV
Sonos Connect
Amazon FireTV

Should I make any changes? Would you?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you have the room, I might upgrade the center speaker to an bookshelf speaker rather than a horizontal MTM like the RC3. The subs are pretty good, but you can always have better subs, some 15"s from Hsu or Rythmik would be a substantial upgrade. If it were me, I would replace the side surround speakers with a monopole design, ie bookshelf speakers. You can also get a receiver that can decode object oriented sound tracks like Atmos and DTS:X. I would also get a AVR that has pre-outs so you can use a separate amp in your system, that will help your AVR last longer and give your speakers more headroom. I suppose from that list, I would attack the center channel first and get another style of speaker for the center.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You can add these as Height speakers(Helicopter/Planes, Just Whoa:eek:) and Back Surrounds: http://www.fluance.com/bipolar-speakers/sxbp-high-definition-bipolar-surround-sound-speakers
I don't think you need to change anything honestly, but the RC25 is nice and could be gotten cheaply on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RC25-Black-Center-Speaker-Mint-/162195074176?hash=item25c3946c80:g:xq8AAOSwknJXxzrg
That's where I got mine. :) Make sure you ask the seller to take pics of the drivers to see the shape they are in.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd upgrade LCR to Ascend CMT340's. Next you have two subs. One good (but not great) LFM-1 and one just ok - FSR-12. I'd consider selling both and get a pair of serious bass punchers, like HSU VTF3 MK4 or PSA 15V.

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
I'd go out and do some speaker demoing first. Listen to a bunch, even some that are a good bit out of your budget range. Then come back and share. People might have suggestions for similar quality speakers that do fit your budget.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
Would switching to the Pioneer SP-FS52 Towers, SP-C22 center , and SP-BS22-LR rears be a downgrade?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
More lateral than upgrade. If your satisfied with your sound, upgrade your display.
Would switching to the Pioneer SP-FS52 Towers, SP-C22 center , and SP-BS22-LR rears be a downgrade?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
More lateral than upgrade. If your satisfied with your sound, upgrade your display.
That would be my suggestion as well, 50" just doesn't hack the video. His audio is very good and outperforms his video. :)

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I've been holding onto my plasma and waiting for something better. The OLED will be my next television but it's too expensive right now

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well $1500 would update your display. $500 on the speaker swap might be satisfying but it's not an upgrade. You're a few years removed from a mid level plasma, so the upgrade seems easy. If you had a low hours pioneer elite , I'd say what's your budget for subs.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
Any model televisions that you'd recommend?

Well $1500 would update your display. $500 on the speaker swap might be satisfying but it's not an upgrade. You're a few years removed from a mid level plasma, so the upgrade seems easy. If you had a low hours pioneer elite , I'd say what's your budget for subs.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
How about a Vizio 4K television? Fantastic image quality and unbeatable prices. Same goes for HiSense, but Vizio is more established in the US.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis