Home theater setup help!

W

Wuaysi

Audiophyte
Hi all

I’ve been doing a lot of research about what system to put in my living room, but I am completely lost with all the options out there.

The room is quite large, 6m by 6m with a 6m ceiling (void). You can see photos on the following links (excuse the mess, I’m still finishing construction).

In preparation for this I ran fairly thick gauge speaker cable from the place marked TV to the rear wall (photo with the two circles shown).

Aesthetically I’m limited to a soundbar or bookshelf speakers, sub and rear speakers.

Having read a lot about Sonos, would the soundbar actually suit this type of room? Or am I better of going with a more non soundbar setup?

Or am I completely wasting my time here. I would be fairly devastated if I spent all this money on a system and it sounded no better than the tv speakers, give the high ceilings and room layout. I have gone into stores and listened, my problem with that is that they have the perfect environment for listening, so anything will sound good in there!

any feedback would be much appreciated! I can take more photos if needed

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I will be shocked if you get others advising you to get just a soundbar and call it a day. Most of us, me included, would find a set of LR bookshelf speakers, good center channel and two good subs for your size room to be a minimum. You will then need at least one pair of surrounds perhaps where your prewired connections reside to give you a 5.2 system. This should be a fun learning-filled journey for you.

To me, the enjoyment of watching movies is at least 50% made up of sound with bass making up most of the emotion of the experience.

Don’t try to go too cheap if you can afford more. Bad sound (speakers) becomes fatiguing in just a short time. I’d say try to spend at least 1K/pair minimum on the bookshelves, another 1K on the center and 1K each on the subs. Rear surrounds can be less. These are minimums but that is just a recommendation. Most of us started smaller and grew. But, if you spend more initially it may save you money and time in the long run from buying interim improvements.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
TLS is probably going to chime in and say this room is beyond redemption, and it would be hard to disagree. At the end of the day, you’re going to have to be prepared for some less-than-ideal compromises, especially with speaker placement.

High ceilings haven’t been a problem in any room I’ve had them. The big glass wall is a big concern though, as will the floor be if it’s going to be something horrible (acoustically) like ceramic tile. However, window treatments and a wood floor with large rug could reasonably address those issues.

The main issue I see is a lack of symmetry. The TV doesn’t appear to be centered on the nook, which will prevent the left and right speakers to be placed equidistant on either side, either with both speakers in the nook area, or with one on the other side of the fireplace. The rear speakers appear to be too far to the side from where the main viewing seating will probably be. Speakers in the nook will be too close together to realize any coherent left/right separation, unless the main seating is 10 ft. or so from the TV, and I doubt that seating arrangement will go over well. Also, I don’t see any ideal location for a subwoofer.

Speaking of subwoofers, it’s going to take some serious woofage to fill this space with deep bass. And again, don’t know where you’re going to put them so that they don’t dominate the room.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all

I’ve been doing a lot of research about what system to put in my living room, but I am completely lost with all the options out there.

The room is quite large, 6m by 6m with a 6m ceiling (void). You can see photos on the following links (excuse the mess, I’m still finishing construction).

In preparation for this I ran fairly thick gauge speaker cable from the place marked TV to the rear wall (photo with the two circles shown).

Aesthetically I’m limited to a soundbar or bookshelf speakers, sub and rear speakers.

Having read a lot about Sonos, would the soundbar actually suit this type of room? Or am I better of going with a more non soundbar setup?

Or am I completely wasting my time here. I would be fairly devastated if I spent all this money on a system and it sounded no better than the tv speakers, give the high ceilings and room layout. I have gone into stores and listened, my problem with that is that they have the perfect environment for listening, so anything will sound good in there!

You have asked a bit late in the day for help.

First off this room is a perfect cube. Acoustically that is the worst possible. The reflection paths all meet in the middle and will boom.

The next issue is that you need a lot more internal wiring than a speaker cable.

You need AC, HDMI, Ethernet and multiple speaker cables.

You never run any in wall wires that are not in conduit. This is so you can change them if they fail and more importantly change them as technology evolves. This avoids having to open walls and ceilings.

The next issue is that you can not combine a sound bar with other speakers except subs. If you want a sound bar then your option in ONLY soundbar and sub.

So if you want speakers, then we are talking speakers and sub and NO soundbar.

You seem to have a shelf by the speaker circles. That was a bad move.

For that room it looks ripe for a good in wall installation. and get rid of that shelf.

Here is a link to my new home build of four years ago. I put in three systems. The theater is complex, but I want you to pay particular attention to the Great room in wall build.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi all

I knew the gang here would be all over your request, but don't get discouraged. All here will try to assist with what you have. If your budget won't allow you to add decent quality equipment all at once, then add it in stages as your cash flow will allow. Don't go cheap just to get a 5.1 system in place, which you would regret later. I'd start with the front speakers first and then add the first Sub, then the rears, and finally a second Sub.

While the room is still "under construction" do your pre-wire for all the cables as mentioned by @TLS Guy above, in conduit if possible. You don't have to rip out your existing cable runs, but remember there is some risk in leaving them as is. The downside to good in-walls is it can 't be shifted around as your room layout changes from time to time (Think WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor in all this too) but @TLS Guy can advise which speakers if this direction appeals to you. Typical Subs (not in-wall) would be my choice.

Let us know what your budget is and what, if any, equipment you have, or plan to purchase.

And above all, have a good time pulling this together.

Merry Christmas.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, I've done some homework on Sonos, and while I love their streaming product, it's an absolute piece of crap for home theater use. Their speaker bar, especially the Sonos ARC, is just not worth buying if you can avoid it. You end up spending more money for less quality on something like their products. But if left with no other choice, then it would work. You would need their 'AMP' product to drive the rear speakers and you can use any rear speakers of your choosing if you do this.

But, a basic bookshelf system will sound better and cost less. A complete package from accessories4less.com starts at $400 and will outperform the Sonos ARC product for that money. Obviously, better speakers are going to deliver better results. I won't tell you what speakers to get in the room. That's very much a personal choice and a tough room will fight you, but at reasonable listening levels, you should still manage decent imaging and a acceptable surround sound experience.

But, I would go out of my way to avoid the all in one speaker bar.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, that is a tough space to plan for. I agree with Wayne that symmetry is an issue in this space. There is room for a bookshelf speaker left of the TV, but if it is going to be a big screen it appears that the TV will be right beside the fireplace bump out and the only location for a right speaker is to the right of the fireplace in the corner. At least the TV is not above the fireplace, so good planning there.

If you want the rear speakers just below the glass railing then you will be limited to a 5.1 setup (no height or ceiling speakers). A center speaker below the TV will help anchor the dialogue to the TY but the L+R balance will be off, so it's a matter of whether you can live with that.

TLS Guy mentioned in-walls, and if you don't mind an in-wall speaker above the fireplace, then you could space them evenly from either side of the TV for better balance. An in-wall speaker with a fine mesh grill painted the wall colour can blend in fairly well. Whatever location you choose for the right front speaker, try and line up the right rear with the right front (don't place the right rear in the corner if you place an in-wall above the fireplace). You want to try and have the rear speakers the same distance right and left from your seating area (just like the front speakers).

If you find you have to make too many compromises for speaker placement, then a soundbar for casual viewing may suffice but choose a good quality one to fill such a large space.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis