E

ElvinChong

Audiophyte
Hi,

I'm new to the home theater room setup, appreciated you could let me know whether below components is the good combination?

EPSON 5030UBe
Episode® 700 Series In-Wall Speaker with 6-1/2 in. Woofer (Pair)
Episode® 700 Series In-Wall LCR Speaker with Dual 5-1/4 in. Woofers (Each)
Episode Evolution 12" Powered Subwoofer (300 Watt | Gloss Black) Model:ES-SUB-12-300-MB
Stewart FireHawk G4
Marantz SR5008 7.2 Network Home Theater Receiver with AirPlay

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

I'm new to the home theater room setup, appreciated you could let me know whether below components is the good combination?

EPSON 5030UBe
Episode® 700 Series In-Wall Speaker with 6-1/2 in. Woofer (Pair)
Episode® 700 Series In-Wall LCR Speaker with Dual 5-1/4 in. Woofers (Each)
Episode Evolution 12" Powered Subwoofer (300 Watt | Gloss Black) Model:ES-SUB-12-300-MB
Stewart FireHawk G4
Marantz SR5008 7.2 Network Home Theater Receiver with AirPlay
Have you heard those speakers? They are sold to installers. They are midrange. I think the installers get a bigger mark up than on other brands.

You need to hear them. Despite what you read most speakers are on the whole are poor. Once they are in your walls you can't send them back. Reviews are mixed.

The bass drivers are sourced from SEAS I'm pretty sure. That is a quality driver, the tweeter I'm pretty sure is Tang Band from China.

What I do notice is that the crossover is 4K. In my view that is far too high for these drivers. Both main and center woofers are driven well into cone break up range. The center speaker needs to have a crossover at 2.8 KHz at least and the mains in the 2.0KHz to 2.5 KHz range.

Even if the crossover manages to smooth the response, there is going to be severe beaming in the 2 to 4 KHz band.

I suspect this was done for reasons of voice clarity. If you can avoid a crossover in the speech discrimination and it is a good thing. However this usually requires a three way design. There are precious few mid range drivers that can crossover at 4 KHz, and I know of no bass/mids available currently that can. The upshot is that I suspect these speakers have a significant degree of shout. This might please you for movies, but if you want to use the rig for music also, I suspect you will have issues. My view is that the designer believes in a crossover out of the speech discrimination band. However to implement that realistically is difficult and other issues must take precedence over ideology.

The other issue is that I believe they are open backed. These speakers really need to be in a sealed unit or vented.

They will not meet the 49 Hz spec. on the bottom end The mains have an F3 of 95 sealed and 60 Hz vented.

I found one post from an installer who did his own measurement and got output to 85 Hz which is close to the sealed box spec. So that means the sub will need crossing over at 100 Hz at least.

If you must have in walls, I would look at B & W.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis