Home theater set up help

Sean Loughry

Sean Loughry

Audiophyte
Greetings friends

I have a new Yamaha YSP-2200 soundbar that I want to connect to my old Sony KDS-50a2000 TV. The tv has two HDMI inputs.

I have my Roku running HDMI into the Soundbar input 1. DVD player running HDMI into input 2. Then I have the HDMI (ARC) running from the Soundbar to input 6 on the TV (HDMI).

The problem? No audio or video when the inputs are properly selected on both the TV and Soundbar. Im thinking that there may be an HDMI version conflict since the TV is quite a few years old, but I am nowhere near an HDMI expert. For testing reasons I used the analog audio/video out on the Roku by sending left and right to the analog inputs on the soundbar and the single video RCA (yuck) to the TV and we were able to watch the Roku in low-res. So we know the components work, but I think there is an HDMI conflict.

I would like an expert or two to give me some tips I would prefer that you have experience with this TV or something very similar so we are apples to apples. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Sean

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Heya Sean. I searched the manual for your television for ARC. The manual makes no mention of ARC. I daresay if your television supported audio return over HDMI, it'd brag about the feature somewhere.

If you want your television to be an audio source through your sound bar, you ought to connect it using an optical cable from the TV's S/PDIF output instead. That'd free you to plug your Roku into an HDMI input on your television, rather than your sound bar. I doubt that sound bar does any favors for the video output by the Roku anyway.

And if you plug your DVD player into the other HDMI input on your television, you can just always leave your sound bar on the same source all the time and use your television to switch inputs from CATV to Roku to DVD.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis