Home Theater Recommendations?

D

darkmyst

Audiophyte
Hi all!

I'm hoping to get some advice from the terrific community that I've seen here so far. I'm in the process of upgrading my television and home theater system on a budget. I purchased Best Buy's 60" 4k TV doorbuster and got the Samsung UN60JU6390. Additionally, I purchased a Denon AVR-X1200W and it's set to arrive on Monday (tomorrow, as of writing this post).

My current sound system has a complication. It is the obsolete but well respected Logitech Z-5500 surround sound system. Years later, it still sounds amazing and I love the system. That said, I don't know much about the different types of connections when it comes to audio, but the system uses an optical cable that goes to a control pod (which is required for the subwoofer to work), which then hooks up into the subwoofer. The speakers all connect into the subwoofer and it distributes sound from there. So I'm not sure if (or how well) my current surround sound will actually perform given the weirdness of the configuration...

So I'm curious what thoughts are regarding the Z-5500, and if I do get a new speaker set - what recommendations would you all provide? I see folks here spending thousands of dollars on speakers and that's definitely not what I'm looking for - but perhaps a entry-level to mid-grade system that would work well with my new receiver and TV.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
D

darkmyst

Audiophyte
Hi all!

I'm hoping to get some advice from the terrific community that I've seen here so far. I'm in the process of upgrading my television and home theater system on a budget. I purchased Best Buy's 60" 4k TV doorbuster and got the Samsung UN60JU6390. Additionally, I purchased a Denon AVR-X1200W and it's set to arrive on Monday (tomorrow, as of writing this post).

My current sound system has a complication. It is the obsolete but well respected Logitech Z-5500 surround sound system. Years later, it still sounds amazing and I love the system. That said, I don't know much about the different types of connections when it comes to audio, but the system uses an optical cable that goes to a control pod (which is required for the subwoofer to work), which then hooks up into the subwoofer. The speakers all connect into the subwoofer and it distributes sound from there. So I'm not sure if (or how well) my current surround sound will actually perform given the weirdness of the configuration...

So I'm curious what thoughts are regarding the Z-5500, and if I do get a new speaker set - what recommendations would you all provide? I see folks here spending thousands of dollars on speakers and that's definitely not what I'm looking for - but perhaps a entry-level to mid-grade system that would work well with my new receiver and TV.

Thanks all!
Update: I found a post on how to make the Logitech Z-5500 work with a receiver. It simply requires a mini-to-rca cable.

However, I'd still like recommendations on a good entry-level or mid-grade speaker system for this tv/receiver combo. Getting my current system to work seems like quite a bit of work and that I wouldn't get the sound that I'm looking for...

Thank you!

D

darkmyst

Audiophyte
Can you give us a budget? Today is a good day to buy :)

Inexpensive option

the sub is less than desirable, but the bundle price is cheap. you can add another inexpensive sub to replace it

$500 or below would be great. Has anyone seen any solid speaker sets for Cyber Monday around this price range or lower?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
$500 or below would be great. Has anyone seen any solid speaker sets for Cyber Monday around this price range or lower?
That system crossedover mentioned is as good a bargain as you'll find unless your Uncle Vito finds something that fell off the truck. If you can't go the extra $50.00, then you really don't want good sound. Go to Wal-mart and buy a HTIB.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
On that kind of strict budget I can't recommend anything other than getting the best pair of speakers you can get with $500. Getting a whole 5.1 system for that money is virtually a waste (unless you're super frugal and you piece together a system from used speakers).

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Buy a pair of the new Sony Core bookshelf speakers and a Dayton subwoofer. Later when you have more cash, buy more speakers for surround sound. Peace and goodwill.

D

darkmyst

Audiophyte
I was able to get my existing speakers to work with the Denon receiver. I just temporarily removed the subwoofer for the time being. It'll work until I gather up enough funds and knowledge for a better speaker set.

I have to say - it's my first receiver, but I'm pretty impressed with it. The UI could be better though. Sorting through the menus, playing music, etc all reminds of a 1990s type UI.

S

SKS

Audiophyte
Hi Audioholics,
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I have a very related query to what crossedover has recommended. I'm a first timer into this home theater arena. I just bought a Sony-STRDN1060 and plan to get the Pioneer speaker set. I've the impression that its better to get another sub instead of the one in the bundle.
I've strict budget. Already stretched out max.
Used $300 for AVR + 470 for speaker without sub (planned)
Now only left with <$200.
My question can I find something better for under $200.
Thanks.

Last edited:
S

SKS

Audiophyte
Just saw this
Polk Audio PSW10 for $95+tax are they any better than the
Pioneer SW-8MK2

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Just saw this
Polk Audio PSW10 for $95+tax are they any better than the
Pioneer SW-8MK2
Meh, I've heard both. The Polk goes a little louder and gets a little lower.

S

SKS

Audiophyte
Thx for the tip.
So here is what I found
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 - $138+tax
BIC America F12 - $199+tax

A bit over my budget :(
Cadence CSX-12 - $300
Bic Acoustech PL-200 - $328
HSU STF-1 $309

Also the main usage is about 50%Music\40%Movies\10% games.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
IMO, the stf-1 is too small to be very useful in all but the smallest rooms. I'd consider going forward to the PL200

S

SKS

Audiophyte
Thx Seth for your inputs I'll try to acquire the PL-200. Thats $150 more than what I've :(:(

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thx Seth for your inputs I'll try to acquire the PL-200. Thats $150 more than what I've :(:(
If you don't want to spend that much, don't. I've been there and tight budget makes things tight. Don't cause yourself undue hardship. The F12 is still a good subwoofer.

S

SKS

Audiophyte
If you don't want to spend that much, don't. I've been there and tight budget makes things tight. Don't cause yourself undue hardship. The F12 is still a good subwoofer.
Made an extra :rolleyes: push and Ordered the PL-200 for $280 delivered from acousticsounddesign. Thx for all your time and inputs.

D

darkmyst

Audiophyte
Hey all.

I'm shopping around again and have upped my dollar amount due to obtaining $550 worth of Best Buy Rewards.

I can't post a link because I'm too new, but I noticed the Bose Acoustimass 10 Series for $999. I don't see many specs on this one but it's highly rated. Any other recommendations?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis