Home theater recommendation

L

LaP

Enthusiast
I just bought a Samsung HT-TX75 HTIB and i'm really dissapointed. I will return it to the store this week and get a new home theater. I decided to go for an A/V receiver and a 5.1 speakers system. For the DVD reader i will buy a HD-DVD reader or Blu-Ray reader this fall or next year.

I searched the web for informations but all audio web sites i found review 3000$ pro systems only or system not generally avalaible in Canada. I don't have this kind of money to spend on a home theater and i don't want to drive 10 000 Km to find a little niche pro audio shop in north Alberta that have this shiny ellistic 7.1 pro audio system .

Here what i want

- Budget 1200$ CAD (Canadian dollars) Max for the A/V receiver and speakers.
- Good audio quality for stereo and Pro Logic 2. Specially for rock music.
- Good audio fidelity for mid-range and treble again for rock music.
- Oomh not a priority i don't want to wake up the neighborhood but this must shake a little when i pump up the volume.
- At least 2 opticals inputs, one digital coax input and another input digital coax or optic.
- One stereo output (For my wireless headphone). One stereo input a plus (just in case).
- HDMI Switching a big plus since i'm missing one HDMI input for my HDTV.
- Good sound quality while listening with a low volume level (this is my main problem with the Samsung HT-TX75 HTIB).
- USB input or iPod compatibility a plus.
- Support for Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic 2.
- Style a plus if possible i don't want my system to look like an original Star Trek serie device.

I don't know much in sound system so i'm uterly lost here. For me this is like chinese i don't know what too look at. Here a system that look okay.

Harman Kardon 5.1 Channel HDMI Receiver (AVR147)

With

Harman Kardon 5.1 Home Theatre Speaker System (HKTS15)

Total cost of the system is around 1200$.

But i don't really know this is an entry level system maybe this is not better than the Samsung HT-TX75 at all. Help me please. Recommendation for more than one company would be appreciated. Also keep in mind that systems here generally cost 100$ more even after USD to CAD convertion so a USD 500$ receiver will most of the time cost around CAD 650$. Thx in advance.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
When you are starting out, people have a tendency to spend too much on an AV receiver and not enough on speakers. This is backwards. I would suggest an entry level AV receiver like the Denon AVR 587 for US$250 and US$1000 on speakers. If you really want your budget to go further. Maybe spend the balance on a 3.1 system to start. The rear surrounds are not going to give you that much in return compared to their added expense and I would much rather see that money spent on better speakers for the front, and the subwoofer which is also very important.

Denon AVR 587

L

LaP

Enthusiast
Ok i decided to go for a 2 front speakers system for now i will add the center, surround and sub later since i want a good stereo sound quality this is the best thing to do probably.

The denon you posted is interesting but i would really like HDMI switching since i miss one HDMI input in my TV and don't want to switch cable manually each time. Aanyway denon receivers are hard to find here it's easier to find Harman, Pioneer and Yamaha ones.

What set of front speakers do you suggest. I could get a set of Paradigm Monitor. Are they good front speakers ? I could get a set of Energy too but they are more expensive.

A lot of companies even Boss offert small front speakers (often made with plastic). Should i even bother looking at them or big wood front speakers like Paradigm Monitor is really better ?

I want speakers with a good stereo sound quality but at the same time my home theater room is small and i don't want something that will make the house shake at 15% of max volume level.

For the receiver i could get a Harman AVR 147 like i said or Yamaha HTR6050 or more expensive RXV 661. What do you suggest ? Are they worth it ?

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Ok i decided to go for a 2 front speakers system for now i will add the center, surround and sub later since i want a good stereo sound quality this is the best thing to do probably.

The denon you posted is interesting but i would really like HDMI switching since i miss one HDMI input in my TV and don't want to switch cable manually each time. Aanyway denon receivers are hard to find here it's easier to find Harman, Pioneer and Yamaha ones.

What set of front speakers do you suggest. I could get a set of Paradigm Monitor. Are they good front speakers ? I could get a set of Energy too but they are more expensive.

A lot of companies even Boss offert small front speakers (often made with plastic). Should i even bother looking at them or big wood front speakers like Paradigm Monitor is really better ?

I want speakers with a good stereo sound quality but at the same time my home theater room is small and i don't want something that will make the house shake at 15% of max volume level.

For the receiver i could get a Harman AVR 147 like i said or Yamaha HTR6050 or more expensive RXV 661. What do you suggest ? Are they worth it ?
Bose are too expensive for what you get. Paradigms are well respected but I think the Energies are the way to go. They use the National Research Council resources and I REALLY like them. If you can afford them, go with the Energies. They sound wonderful and have a very even frequency response over a very wide dispersion area. Great for home theater and music.

As far as receivers, HDMI is going to cost you a premium and the standard is not met by all mfgs. so just keep this in mind. Unless you have money for a more expensive receiver, a HDMI switch may be a more cost effective solution for multiple HDMI inputs and outputs. I am cosidering one myself since my Denon 3805 does not have HDMI. They are not much trouble and with a good universal remote, you will not even know that your AV receiver is not doing the video switching.

The Aluratek gets a good review and is less than $100 for 4 x 1 HDMI. Impact Acoustics is also very affordable.

Aluratek

Impact Acoustics

They make ones with more IO if you need it.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Canadian speakers

Energy and Athena have the same parent company and should be readily available in Canada. Also check prices on Axiom, Paradigm, and PSB which are all made in Canada. I think you will be more impressed with a 2.1 or 3.1 system with quality bookshelf speakers than a 5.1 or 7.1 system with small satellite speakers similar to the HTIB you returned.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I think you will be more impressed with a 2.1 or 3.1 system with quality bookshelf speakers than a 5.1 or 7.1 system with small satellite speakers similar to the HTIB you returned.
I agree too. More is not always better. Spend the bucks on a 3.1 up front and get the rear surrounds as your budget recovers.

L

LaP

Enthusiast
Thz for the reply Panny and westcott i'll buy a 2.0 system for now anyway i can live without surround, front and sub for a short period of time.

I'll look into Energy and Paradigm i think.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis