Home Theater, preamp, 5.1 product choices?

C

Crunchie

Audiophyte
Greetings. This is my first post here. Delivery is on the way for a new Samsung LN52A650 television. Now I am directing my attention to the audio side of the experience.

I currently have a pair of home made speakers, home brew preamplifier and four channels of Marshal Leach's design, "leach amps". My speakers are similar to the NHT 3.3's, except they sound better/more accurate. They have side firing woofers NHT1259's from Madisound. The woofers are driven by separate Leach amps using active crossovers. The mid/tweeters are Scan Speak 17W kevlar and 9900 relevator tweaters in an MTM configuration. The speakers are carefully tweaked using CAD for the crossover networks and verified with the "IMP" FFT amplitude/phase application ten years ago. I'll add a photo or two later on. In any case, there is nothing off the shelf I could buy to replace these, even in the $5000 + range.

I have two more speakers that have lesser Scan Speak mid and tweeter. These are installed in old bookshelf boxes. They have less testing. They are not MTM. I never found woofers that aligned correctly in these boxes. They should be fine for the rear channels.

I don't have anything for front/center channel. I could build a new speaker for that. I would probably duplicate the MTM design I spent so much time on. For the moment, I would need to get by without the center speaker.

As I upgrade to home theater use, I want to use these speakers and amplifiers. I have been looking for an A/V preamplifier and a/v switcher to round out the system. Mostly I have found complete systems from a box. I don't think that will produce the results I want. My speakers run as low as 4 ohms, maybe lower in the mid range. I don't recall exactly now and the leach amplifier doesn't care about low z.

I'm looking for advice concerning lower priced equipment that accepts optical 5.1 input and produces outputs for the home theater system. Maybe someone can explain why I should look for 7.1 systems.

I have two more amplifiers for the rear channels... an Heathkit AR1500. I could build two or three more channels of "Leach" amplifiers. That would give me five channels of awesome clean audio.

I'm finding specifications of new gear concerning, mostly because of the "peak power" specs industry published years ago. Gear at the $300-$400 price point doesn't seem to offer preamplifier outputs that I require. Peeking through the vent slots of a 5.1 integrated AV receiver at BB shows me there is not enough heat sink for one stout channel much less six, regardless of the 5.1 "120 watts/channel rating". I suppose the speaker outputs could be scaled down for input to my amplifiers, but the specifications don't say if these outputs are single ended. If they are "H" structure or "bridge amp" connection, that is a problem for my planned application. I really only need RCA analog outputs.

I'm hoping some guys here can help focus my search on high quality a/v preamplifier/switchers with 5.1 or 7.1.

J

jamie2112

Banned
The Emotiva RSP-1 would do everything you need done for 699. Emotiva has great products and great service IMO you can't go wrong.....

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum! I'd suggest that you take a look at both the Yamaha RX-V663 and the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K (currently $476 at Amazon, perhaps cheaper elsewhere). Both seem to be good units, and both have pre-amp outputs (along with the latest surround sound processing).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...home brew preamplifier...
You could just make 2 more home brew preamplifiers and let your Source Player (CD/DVD/BD, etc.) do the surround sound processing (DD, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-MA) and feed directly to your 3 home brew preamps for 5.1 HT.

C

Crunchie

Audiophyte
The thing is that the HD TV or future DBS receiver has 5.1 as optical outputs only. My home made preamplifier/active crossover is analog input, two channels. The stereo is configured with four amplifiers feeding the front speakers in a bi-amp setup with active crossover. I have a spare stereo amplifier in the old Heathkit AR1500. With the second set of speakers I have around here, that would be adequate for the rear channels.

What I think I need is an A/V preamplifier that accepts optical inputs. I've not found any in the under $500 price range. Under that price, the a/v receivers I've found have six amplifiers in them. They are integrated circuit outputs and I have a hunch they are bridge connected, so they wouldn't be ideal for driving single ended RCA inputs. The tiny heat sinks inside worry me. I don't think these can put out six channels at 120 watts and not overheat. So I am looking for an inexpensive way to take optical 5.1 and connect up to my existing gear.

C

Crunchie

Audiophyte
AcuDefTechGuy,

That it is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know the term pre/pro. I searched ebay for preamplifiers earlier and didn't notice these. They don't have these in the consumer electronics stores.

I need to come up to speed on the various features and brand names. I am noticing that some require additional modules connected. So I'm not quite sure what to look for. My budget is under $500. So I'm sure I will have to seek out used gear. I need optical input and dolby 5.1 to match the television. Is there anything else I should be watching for so I don't buy too far behind the curve?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AcuDefTechGuy,

That it is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know the term pre/pro. I searched ebay for preamplifiers earlier and didn't notice these. They don't have these in the consumer electronics stores.

I need to come up to speed on the various features and brand names. I am noticing that some require additional modules connected. So I'm not quite sure what to look for. My budget is under $500. So I'm sure I will have to seek out used gear. I need optical input and dolby 5.1 to match the television. Is there anything else I should be watching for so I don't buy too far behind the curve?
If all you require is optical input and Dolby Digital 5.1, that should be a piece of cake. The newer pre-pros will also have HDMI as well as DTS, but most of the older ones will have optical inputs + DD.

"Additional modules" connected? Most of the pre-pros just connect to the amps and the sources (TV, DVD, etc.).

So look for Surround Sound Processors/Preamplifiers that has Optical + DD 5.1.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis