Home Theater do all receivers

L

lucassean

Audioholic Intern
Hello Everyone. I'm confused. How do you add a nice amp to your existing HT receiver/amp or do you just leave it alone. I'm looking for better detail, sound stage, refinement, etc. I'm currently using a Pioneer VSX 815 in the bed room with av123 speakers and a sub. In the family room I'm running a Yamaha HTR-5990 coupled with an Emotiva LPA-1. The richness is definitely there.

I guess my question is if you couple two amps does it convolute the signals? I would think the original sound is jerked around. This has been bugging me for a while now. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Chris.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi Chris,

When you add an external amp to the preouts of your existing receiver, it simply disable the original amps for these channels, and you gain the more power of this new amp, that's all, quite simple. :)

So it does not screw anything, because only the newer amp is working to power the speakers you designed for.

And in most cases with high sensitivity speakers from an easy load (8 ohms), in a regular size room, you don't need to add more power.

Hope that helps, :)
Bob

L

lucassean

Audioholic Intern
Thank you

Excellent info. It definitely clears things up for me. Thanks again, Chris.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Hi Chris,

When you add an external amp to the preouts of your existing receiver, it simply disable the original amps for these channels, and you gain the more power of this new amp, that's all, quite simple. :)
Im not sure it disables the amps:eek: Im pretty sure they are on. (if thats what you were refering to)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The only receiver I've come across that lets you turn off the internal amps is Cambridge Audio.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My Pioneers, like most (if not all) receivers, let me turn off the speakers. However, I don't know if they are actually removing power from the internal amplifiers. I do know that I no longer hear any clicking noises as I toggle between stereo and multi-channel surround modes - so turning off the speakers is disabling something. They don't seem to run any cooler, though.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Well, when you use an external amp to replace the original amps of the receiver; the receiver's amps are only iddling, right? But they don't deliver power anymore to your speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis