Home Theater Demo Disc

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Watched this one. Overall I really liked it. That train scene from Super 8 has to be the best sounding bass workout ever. I could never get why Fight Club(Cool effects though) was such a great movie? I'll have to see it again, but at the time I didn't get why people love this movie. The REO Speedwagon song was a bit off synch, but everything else was flawlessly and well executed by the guy who put it together. Next week I'll watch the other one. Thanks again!

Y

yetiboy

Enthusiast
Any chance this can be used with a USB key? I don't have access to a blu-ray burner and I'd really like to try this out.

brad

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Any chance this can be used with a USB key? I don't have access to a blu-ray burner and I'd really like to try this out.

brad
You can but the files are about 40+ GB's each

Y

yetiboy

Enthusiast
Odd, I was sure I subscribed to the thread but I didn't receive a notification.

I have a 64Gb key, so size isn't an issue. I'd love the link if it's available.

brad

Y

yetiboy

Enthusiast
Well, after spending about a week downloading one of the discs (my connection is 100kB out here in the boonies) and spending several hours combing the internets, I've discovered that without actually burning the disc (I don't have a Bluray burner) there is no way for me to take full advantage of it. I was hoping to mount the files using a USB key with my PS3, but as it turns out PS3 won't support it.

Would anyone out there in audio land be willing to burn a copy of this (these) and mail it (them) to me? I'd be more than happy to pay for the disc and postage. Thanks.

brad

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I was hoping to mount the files using a USB key with my PS3, but as it turns out PS3 won't support it.
Hi, Brad. It's probably mentioned somewhere in this thread, but what format are the files in? I'm asking because you might be able to stream the files to your PS3 using a program called PS3 Media Server. It will convert files for playing on a PS3, and it lets you stream files from your PC/Mac. I've used it for years and am really happy with it.

Y

yetiboy

Enthusiast
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply. The file is a 40GB AVCHD file. It's possible I could use PMS (I actually use Universal Media Server, it's a fork of PMS that's significantly better), but since I'm trying to get best possible quality streaming isn't ideal.

brad

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Gotcha, and thanks for the heads up on Universal Media Server. I'd never heard of that.

My streaming has worked really well for me, but I did have to get an external access point to keep HD from stuttering. The 802.11g in the PS3 just couldn't keep up, at least in my house. I went with an 802.11n access point and then hardwired the PS3 to it. Are you running wireless on the PS3?

Y

yetiboy

Enthusiast
I actually have it hardwired, but my laptop usually isn't. I could easily plug in if needed, though. It would just be much simpler if I could just use a disc or USB key. I'll have to test it out to see if I can make it work.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Alternatively, you could convert them into a file format that the PS3 will play.

This site states the PS3 can play "AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)" files. I remember researching that a year or so ago because I wanted to play some files on my Panasonic TV, but my recollection is that the AVCHD files that I had were in a different format/container/whatever it's called. I tried playing .VOB files on my PS3, and I recall it working, except that the PS3 didn't recognize the file structure and would only play one file at a time (instead of playing a whole movie).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
These discs don't get along well with the PS3 at all. If the PS3 or any other Sony player is all that you have for playback, I would recommend you don't bother with them.

Alternatively, you could convert them into a file format that the PS3 will play.

This site states the PS3 can play "AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)" files. I remember researching that a year or so ago because I wanted to play some files on my Panasonic TV, but my recollection is that the AVCHD files that I had were in a different format/container/whatever it's called. I tried playing .VOB files on my PS3, and I recall it working, except that the PS3 didn't recognize the file structure and would only play one file at a time (instead of playing a whole movie).

Y

yetiboy

Enthusiast
AVCHD should work fine with the PS3, the problem is that I wouldn't be able to use any menus and I have to choose individual files to play. This obviously isn't ideal.

I'm wondering if there's a way to convert the AVCHD into a more conventional format that would still preserve the quality. Any ideas?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Do you know why?
I don't. Anyone I've talked to who has a PS3 and has tried to use them, they haven't worked. Since I don't have one I can't experiement and see why they're not working. I've looked through the original threads on AVS and they should work so I don't know what's going on.

On as aside, I burned mine as BDMV files, not AVCHD.

Y

yetiboy

Enthusiast
I took a look through, and the only .bdmv files are the info files - not the actual media files. The main file is titled "BDMV" with no extension, but it shows up as a AVCHD file on my Mac. When I open it up and check the "Stream" folder, I find all the .mts media files which is typical of a AVCHD file. Unless I'm reading my research incorrectly, BDMV files are always only info, not media. The likelihood is you're in fact burning it as an AVCHD unless you've altered files from the original, you just didn't realize it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I took a look through, and the only .bdmv files are the info files - not the actual media files. The main file is titled "BDMV" with no extension, but it shows up as a AVCHD file on my Mac. When I open it up and check the "Stream" folder, I find all the .mts media files which is typical of a AVCHD file. Unless I'm reading my research incorrectly, BDMV files are always only info, not media. The likelihood is you're in fact burning it as an AVCHD unless you've altered files from the original, you just didn't realize it.
I have no idea what I did to them, it's been so long. I could have converted them, or not. When I burn them, I drag the BDMV file (40+GB's) and the additional folder over to Burn and let it do it's thing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis