Home Stereo to Bluetooth Speaker?

M

mikeinthe901

Audiophyte
Noob here trying to do something that appears impossible. Have a user with a phono and an Onkyo receiver connected to passive bookshelf speakers. She can listen to records and life is good. Also wants to be able to take her speaker out on the patio on Sunday mornings w coffee. No can do w passive wired speakers. But hey that's what Bluetooth speakers are for, right? Nope. Apparently all the Bluetooth capability in home stereo is for sending your iPhone music to the home stereo; none of them seem to be able to output to a Bluetooth speaker. Why is that? Is there a workaround?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
If the Onkyo receivers has RCA outputs, such as tape out or main L/R preamp out, then you can use a Bluetooth transmitter. The Avantree Oasis seems to get good reviews. It seems most transmitters these days use AptX, so your friend’s speaker will have to be AptX equipped, too. If not, I think she may need go get another one – do your research to make sure.

If the Onkyo has no RCA outputs, your friend is out of luck and will need a new receiver that has some.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Foolishly forgot that a headphone jack could be used for the transmitter, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:
M

mikeinthe901

Audiophyte
Foolishly for got that a headphone jack could be used for the transmitter, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
OK now we're making progress. If we can use a stereo-to-Bluetooth adapter that supports aptX, and a speaker that supports aptX, then maybe she can still use the existing receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Noob here trying to do something that appears impossible. Have a user with a phono and an Onkyo receiver connected to passive bookshelf speakers. She can listen to records and life is good. Also wants to be able to take her speaker out on the patio on Sunday mornings w coffee. No can do w passive wired speakers. But hey that's what Bluetooth speakers are for, right? Nope. Apparently all the Bluetooth capability in home stereo is for sending your iPhone music to the home stereo; none of them seem to be able to output to a Bluetooth speaker. Why is that? Is there a workaround?
Mostly because BT has been mostly a reception thing for avrs, altho some are adopting transmitting for speakers/headphone reception.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
She also needs to be very aware of the limited range of Bluetooth. About 30 feet, line-of-sight is it. A wall in the way can significantly reduce the range of Bluetooth. Some people are shocked by how poor the range of Bluetooth is. This is why wired is so much better and why audio devices which sit on a home network (like Sonos) are often so much better. The range of Wi-Fi can be much further than what Bluetooth allows for.
This is just something to be aware of.
But, yes, the Onkyo needs to use the Zone 2 output, or a Record Out connection or something similar to allow for a Bluetooth transmitter to be connected to it and allow playback elsewhere.

M

mikeinthe901

Audiophyte
Thank you - that is exactly what I did yesterday (Zone 2). Finally got it it all working!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
She also needs to be very aware of the limited range of Bluetooth. About 30 feet, line-of-sight is it. A wall in the way can significantly reduce the range of Bluetooth. Some people are shocked by how poor the range of Bluetooth is. This is why wired is so much better and why audio devices which sit on a home network (like Sonos) are often so much better. The range of Wi-Fi can be much further than what Bluetooth allows for.
This is just something to be aware of.
But, yes, the Onkyo needs to use the Zone 2 output, or a Record Out connection or something similar to allow for a Bluetooth transmitter to be connected to it and allow playback elsewhere.
30 feet is only for older versions- BT 4.0 and newer have significantly better range. I have posted about the Miccus BT piece that I used for a school gym audio upgrade and until that morning, My opinion, based on experience was "BT sucks!". The gym teacher was there and asked why I didn't want to use BT and I gave him my opinion on the distance, but he said "I have an amplifier that works over 100 feet". I told him that I would like to see it and off we went, to see that it actually worked well over that distance.

I went home, looked online for new info and found that BT5.0 was current, what's different and definitely better, checked for options and ordered one, all before 11:30AM. It arrived at 7:30 that evening and I immediately connected it to my garage receiver, linked my iPhone and started streaming. I listened, decided that it sounded decent and started to walk away, waiting for it to lose connection where the $300 Musical Fidelity piece (of crap) failed and it didn't drop out. I kept walking and it never lost connection, even after I walked to the end of my 105' driveway. I kept walking and even across the street, it worked. I stopped walking when I was about 150' away and my brick house was between me and the BT receiver.

At the school, it covers a full-sized basketball court plus the 15' border and passes through two concrete block walls. I haven't received a single trouble call about it since it was installed in early September, 2018.

It has analog and optical in and can be used as a transmitter or receiver. Also, the antennae can be removed and relocated for better range by using an SMA cable with the appropriate ends, available online for about ten bucks each.

The BT receiver cost about fifty dollars and when I needed to cancel the announcement when connecting and disconnecting, tech support actually answered quickly and told me how to do it without putting me on hold- they just knew it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
30 feet is only for older versions- BT 4.0 and newer have significantly better range. I have posted about the Miccus BT piece that I used for a school gym audio upgrade and until that morning, My opinion, based on experience was "BT sucks!". The gym teacher was there and asked why I didn't want to use BT and I gave him my opinion on the distance, but he said "I have an amplifier that works over 100 feet". I told him that I would like to see it and off we went, to see that it actually worked well over that distance.
That's some bullshit right there! I love it.

I can't wait to try this out at some point in the future. I've had a number of disappointed client's in the past. I will definitely give this a try in the future.

My most recent 'headache', was one just recently installed. The Attero Tech BT product is kind of unique in the commercial world with Dante audio built in, but the BT range is abysmal....

Not sure what else is out there which may be considered similar.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That's some bullshit right there! I love it.

I can't wait to try this out at some point in the future. I've had a number of disappointed client's in the past. I will definitely give this a try in the future.

My most recent 'headache', was one just recently installed. The Attero Tech BT product is kind of unique in the commercial world with Dante audio built in, but the BT range is abysmal....

Not sure what else is out there which may be considered similar.
What part is BS? Bluetooth, as it was? BTW- I should have included "some newer units" because I was looking at some specs that still show only 30' of range for BT5.0.

I kept the Logitech BT receiver that was used in the fitness facility I mention below and it connects immediately, but the range is terrible. Sound is OK, but I use it in my garage. Still, I'm pretty sure I have the best-sounding garage system on my block. :)

I was absolutely amazed when I was still hearing the music from across the street- that Musical Fidelity piece's range was terrible and when I compared it with AirPlay on my system, the sound was bad- noticeably bad. Definitely not worth $299 or whatever.

Hey, for $50 on Amazon and their easy return policy, you don't stand to lose if it doesn't work. Plus, the Miccus can be used as a transmitter and their stated range is insane when two are used- it requires sliding a selector switch for TX/RX. The second one I installed is used at a fitness facility and if they hold a session outside of the North side of the building, that one has to pass through two concrete block walls, too- it's not as far as the school gym, though.

I have had zero complaints about these. That's the kind of solution I like- it's cheap and it works.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis