HK3490 vs AV receivers

C

cnovoselsky

Audiophyte
While I understand this might be comparing "apples to oranges" I do appreciate any advice.
I am looking for <$500 amp to drive my stereo JBL L7.
One commonly cited candidate is HK3490.

However I am wondering if I will get better sound quality from a little more "modern" receiver, such as Onkyo 805/6, integra DTR 7.8/8.9, possible Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi.

Price is more or less the same, HK may be cheaper by $100 or so. All amps offer digital inputs (which is important to me) and have ~120wpc with similar THD ratings.

I do not plan upgrade to surround anytime soon but do have a pair of BA speakers potentially for the second zone use.

So it does come down to sound quality for me.

Any suggestions? Thank!

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
According to Audioholics review, HK 3490 has

110 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms 0.1% THD
167 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms 0.1% THD

According to Sound and Vision review the Integra DTR 8.8/Onkyo TX-NR805 has:
187 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms 0.1% THD
315 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms 0.1% THD

Receiver will have more components and you have more chance for crosstalk issues, but will have much larger power supply and power output, especially into 4 ohms.

C

cnovoselsky

Audiophyte
Thank you, ichigo. How relevant is concern for cross-talk? I understand the theory, but wouldn't this be reflected in SNR which is actually better in Integra?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
For the last several decades, crosstalk has been so far below the threshold of audiability that using that as an indicator of quality is foolih.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
According to Audioholics review, HK 3490 has

110 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms 0.1% THD
167 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms 0.1% THD

According to Sound and Vision review the Integra DTR 8.8/Onkyo TX-NR805 has:
187 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms 0.1% THD
315 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms 0.1% THD

Receiver will have more components and you have more chance for crosstalk issues, but will have much larger power supply and power output, especially into 4 ohms.
That sounds reasonable but the DTR8.8 had XT in the -86 to -92 dB range, most likely superior to the 3490's though most would probably agree there is nothing to worry about anything better than -70.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought the 3490 is actually quite modern, probably more modern than the Onkyo 805. For the same price though I would go with the 8.9 for sure. I have no idea how you could get the DTR8.9 for even $100 more than the HK's 3490 let alone about the same price.

C

cnovoselsky

Audiophyte
I thought the 3490 is actually quite modern, probably more modern than the Onkyo 805. For the same price though I would go with the 8.9 for sure. I have no idea how you could get the DTR8.9 for even $100 more than the HK's 3490 let alone about the same price.
Well, $100 is an exaggeration, but still probably same 500-600 range... Or slightly less for (what I understand) a comparable 875/6.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
However I am wondering if I will get better sound quality from a little more "modern" receiver, such as Onkyo 805/6, integra DTR 7.8/8.9, possible Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi.
Not likely. As long they aren't overstressed, they will all sound the same with the processors disengaged.
Price is more or less the same, HK may be cheaper by $100 or so. All amps offer digital inputs (which is important to me) and have ~120wpc with similar THD ratings.
Basically, virtually all modern receivers have enoug power to drive a normal home theater system. All have inaudible distortion below the clipping level. I recommend you buy whatever has the capabilities and features you want and whatever appeals to you overall.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis