Hiss on a Technics SA-DX940

L

lcmartin

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I just register into this forum and have the following question

I own a Technics SA-DX940 receiver and have it connected to a pair of Pioneer CS-907A (sensitivity of 99 db/m) as front speakers.
The system is fully interconnected, with rear speakers, center speaker, DVD, Equalizer, Tape Deck, CD Player, VCR, TV, Cable Box.

When I listen to a source without signal, with DSP on, I’m getting a noticeable hiss.

I read in the forum that this is common and especially noticeable with highly efficient speakers.

I’m worried if the receiver is working properly, I also wonder if some arrangement may cause an increase of the noise, or reduce it, like power cable location, equipment interference, etc.

I mean, Is there anyway to check if the receiver or speaker are operating properly?

I took it to the seller and once connected, it got the mentioned hiss, but not so loud as at home (he used Altec Lansing 97 db/w/m speakers) and told me that this is normal.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

2x6spds

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Hi lcmartin

I had a Technics SADX 940 hooked up first to a pair of Polk RT25i's and a Velodyne CHT80 sourced by a 10 year old JVC 6 CD changer. This system sounded really good, no hiss.

I swapped the Polks for a pair of Axiom M3Ti's and was floored by how good this combination sounded.

I picked up the Technics 940 at Frys on a close out for about $150. About the best $150 I ever spent on audio. I've since given the 940 away and gone tube amp in that system, but have a lot of respect for the Technics receivers ever since. No hiss. But the Technics did run hot, don't know how that would effect long term operation.

Anyway, don't have any real advice, sorry to say.</font>

L

lcmartin

Audiophyte
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
2x6spds : <font color='#000000'>Hi lcmartin

I had a Technics SADX 940 hooked up first to a pair of Polk RT25i's and a Velodyne CHT80 sourced by a 10 year old JVC 6 CD changer. This system sounded really good, no hiss.

I swapped the Polks for a pair of Axiom M3Ti's and was floored by how good this combination sounded.

I picked up the Technics 940 at Frys on a close out for about $150. About the best $150 I ever spent on audio. I've since given the 940 away and gone tube amp in that system, but have a lot of respect for the Technics receivers ever since. No hiss. But the Technics did run hot, don't know how that would effect long term operation.

Anyway, don't have any real advice, sorry to say.</font>
<font color='#000000'>2x6spds , Thanks for your answer, good to know that you never had a hiss trouble with the 940.

I will take it to service for a check. I guess something has to be failing.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis