High quality sound albums

B

Bexiesbruv

Audioholic Intern
Hello all, new to the forum but enjoying the steep learning curve of Home Theatre.
I have a couple to add to the list:
1.Cantate-Domino. I am not able to post links yet but its easy enough to locate (It features the Oscar's Motet Choir conducted by Torsten Nilsson with soprano, Marianne Mellnäs and organist, Alf Linder)
Sounds incredible on whatever its played through.

2. Queen, A Kind Of Magic. This would be the vinyl version (someone asked for vinyl suggestions)
I bought this (in the mid 80's) on vinyl then swapped it for CD the following day because I had just bought my first CD player. What a disappointment to play the disc. I took it back and swapped it back for the vinyl.

The Guy that sold me my first "high end" audio set up took me to his apt above the store to let me (and my wife) listen to what an unlimited budget (and some knowledge) can get you. Listening to that system spoiled me for life I think. I could not get the idea out of my brain that I should be able to see the individual musicians performing in front of me. Going back to my purchase was a bit of a let down after that.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's another one I forgot to mention: "The Trinity Sessions", by the Cowboy Junkies. It was recorded in a church with a single mic - the Calrec Soundfield. I don't know if that's a good one or not. But the album has an atmosphere that I would describe as ethereal.
a whopping +1 on that one. That is an excellent recording which I have on CD. Come to think it of it, I've not heard a poor recording of teh Cowboy Junkies ever.

Its funny, when friends come over that doubt the bass capabilities of my PSBs, I usually put this album on or Cream "Wheels OF Fire" and let them pick their jaws back off of the ground after the album is over. :D

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
One of my favorite sounding albums is Third Eye Blinds Self-Titled album on CD. It was a rare early 90's recording the defied the concept of the loudness wars.

You can read all about the making of the album from the recording engineer himself below.

Third Eye Blind's First Album Mr. Eric Valentine - Gearslutz.com

Q & A with Eric Valentine - Gearslutz.com
I absolutely love this album, it is the only one I have of theirs and I have had that CD for probably 13 years.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I have only one Adele and it is vinyl (Adele 19). It is one of my worst vinyl album at least in terms of sound quality. Thanks for mentioning the BD though, otherwise I would not known Amazon.com now has it on sale. You meant the Live at The Royal Albert Hall right?
Correct :) This BD is awsome.... what a voice on that girl.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Well the first one from list I acquired is Adele Live At The Royal Albert Hall. VQ is excellent. SQ is too but I am disappointed with the slightly and occasionally distorted vocal. I know nothing about recording, may be someone like TLSG could explain to me why such an otherwise flawless disc would have such issue. If I were to guess, may be she was a little too close to the mic and the mic does not have enough dynamic range capability? I am sure it isn't that simple though. Regardless, overall I do think it belong to this list. I think not eveyone will be bothered by the slightly/occasionally distorted vocal anyway.
I'm glad you got it :) Have you seen the John Mayer (where the light is Live in LA)? If you like this kind of music it is an amazing BD

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
a whopping +1 on that one. That is an excellent recording which I have on CD. Come to think it of it, I've not heard a poor recording of teh Cowboy Junkies ever.

Its funny, when friends come over that doubt the bass capabilities of my PSBs, I usually put this album on or Cream "Wheels OF Fire" and let them pick their jaws back off of the ground after the album is over. :D
Still waiting for you to add a couple of nice sounding vinyls, please..

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Still waiting for you to add a couple of nice sounding vinyls, please..
Oh You want more? :eek: Sheeeeeesh.. :p I can't remember what I posted earlier and I'm too lazy too look so please bare with me. *L*

1.) Led Zeppelin albums 1,2,3, and 4
2.) Tom Petty's MOJO
3.) Pink Floyd's "The Wall"

I'm sure I have more but its been awhile

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Hello all, new to the forum but enjoying the steep learning curve of Home Theatre.
I have a couple to add to the list:
1.Cantate-Domino. I am not able to post links yet but its easy enough to locate (It features the Oscar's Motet Choir conducted by Torsten Nilsson with soprano, Marianne Mellnäs and organist, Alf Linder)
Sounds incredible on whatever its played through.

2. Queen, A Kind Of Magic. This would be the vinyl version (someone asked for vinyl suggestions)
I bought this (in the mid 80's) on vinyl then swapped it for CD the following day because I had just bought my first CD player. What a disappointment to play the disc. I took it back and swapped it back for the vinyl.

The Guy that sold me my first "high end" audio set up took me to his apt above the store to let me (and my wife) listen to what an unlimited budget (and some knowledge) can get you. Listening to that system spoiled me for life I think. I could not get the idea out of my brain that I should be able to see the individual musicians performing in front of me. Going back to my purchase was a bit of a let down after that.
I can second the Cantate. Just picked up the Proprius sacd last week and it's nothing short of amazing.

DJ

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh You want more? :eek: Sheeeeeesh.. :p I can't remember what I posted earlier and I'm too lazy too look so please bare with me. *L*

1.) Led Zeppelin albums 1,2,3, and 4
2.) Tom Petty's MOJO
3.) Pink Floyd's "The Wall"

I'm sure I have more but its been awhile
Pretty sure you did not give me any vinyls before, thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Tom Petty's MOJO on vinyl was a repeat. Me bad. :)
I updated the list in post#67 not long ago. I just took a peek and did not see MOJO in it so to me it is not a repeat. I will include it in my next update.

Thanks for reminding me of him, I do have a very old Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, a MCA Masterphile Series mastered at half-speed. I quickly put it on my Xpression. Amazingly it still sounds good and very quiet too, no statics so far.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Tom Petty's MOJO on vinyl was a repeat. Me bad. :)

Another awesome recording on vinyl

But what wasn't a repeat is that TP's MOJO on 2 channel Blu Ray Audio smokes, as well.

DJ

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I updated the list in post#67 not long ago. I just took a peek and did not see MOJO in it so to me it is not a repeat. I will include it in my next update.

Thanks for reminding me of him, I do have a very old Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, a MCA Masterphile Series mastered at half-speed. I quickly put it on my Xpression. Amazingly it still sounds good and very quiet too, no statics so far.
Would that album be Hard Promise? That too was an excellent album both musically and recording wise. :)

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
My preliminary review of Radiohead's "The King of Limbs - Live from the Basement Blu-Ray (DTS Master HD).

Long story short, it's disgustingly awesome. Killer performance (Dr. DS-21's words when we listened to it: "they're really quite perfect, aren't they?"), squeaky-clean sound.

It belongs on a list of high quality sound albums. Though I honestly wonder what someone listening to it through small speakers (say, an 8" woofer/7" MTM or smaller) thinks, because there's a LOT of upper bass/lower mid power going on. On big, efficient speakers it rocks!

May not play on all BD drives. Works fine on an Oppo BDP-83.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis