High quality gaming head phones

R

rbtucker

Audiophyte
I'm looking for high quality gaming headphones that meet audiophile standards, but have more focus on the lower range (for explosions, etc) with a closed set up so not to wake the wife. I'm looking to pay upward towards $300-$350.

I've been looking at Sennheiser's new G4ME ZERO, but I was hoping to hear if anybody has any experience with these, or simply recommend something else?

I appreciate any advice some of you experts may have -

Oh, and shout out to j_garcia - I sought some advice back in May 2012 and thanks to you I've been enjoying one bad ass set up for my computer. Seriously, I didn't really know what quality sound was prior to coming here.

Best regards,

Ryan

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Beyerdynamic DT770 with AntLion ModMic would be best for that price range with closed design and power with explosions. I would recommend Sennheiser HD600 with AntLion ModMic but that is open design and will leak a lot sound so I suppose that is out of question (would fit on your budget as well, saw them today for 260$ with discount).

Integrated headsets always fall behind real headphones and mic like ModMic as they are designed differently and marketed for gamers, I dont say that Sennheiser headset is bad but you will get better sound and mic quality with real high end headphones and ModMic. And what is best, you can upgrade your headphones at any time and keep your ModMic that is really flexible mic.

R

rbtucker

Audiophyte
Beyerdynamic DT770 with AntLion ModMic would be best for that price range with closed design and power with explosions. I would recommend Sennheiser HD600 with AntLion ModMic but that is open design and will leak a lot sound so I suppose that is out of question (would fit on your budget as well, saw them today for 260$ with discount).

Integrated headsets always fall behind real headphones and mic like ModMic as they are designed differently and marketed for gamers, I dont say that Sennheiser headset is bad but you will get better sound and mic quality with real high end headphones and ModMic. And what is best, you can upgrade your headphones at any time and keep your ModMic that is really flexible mic.
So - I ordered the DT770, ATH-M50X and the G4ME ZERO (figured I can just take back the 2 I don't want) - these all play with an ASUS XONAR in PC card amp. I still can't decide haha - they all sound pretty good. The DT770 has the best bass out of the box, which is very responsive on the lows - but it appears that using the amp and increasing the power to the amp the DT770 becomes overbearing where the G4ME ZERO became equitable (not as responsive in the bass dept however). On the other hand, the ZERO is just better at highs and treble. The M50X seem to be a balance between the 2, a little muddy sounding on the lows though. But when it comes down to it they all sound fantastic. Is it really just a question of lows, balance, or a focus of highs ? I do suppose the ZERO has the best sound staging of them all.

Why is it so hard to make a decision -_-

Anybody suggest a method for me to test these to make a final conclusion? I've been listening to my favorite songs and this hasn't been successful in rendering a decision, haha

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

So - I ordered the DT770, ATH-M50X and the G4ME ZERO (figured I can just take back the 2 I don't want) - these all play with an ASUS XONAR in PC card amp. I still can't decide haha - they all sound pretty good. The DT770 has the best bass out of the box, which is very responsive on the lows - but it appears that using the amp and increasing the power to the amp the DT770 becomes overbearing where the G4ME ZERO became equitable (not as responsive in the bass dept however). On the other hand, the ZERO is just better at highs and treble. The M50X seem to be a balance between the 2, a little muddy sounding on the lows though. But when it comes down to it they all sound fantastic. Is it really just a question of lows, balance, or a focus of highs ? I do suppose the ZERO has the best sound staging of them all.

Why is it so hard to make a decision -_-

Anybody suggest a method for me to test these to make a final conclusion? I've been listening to my favorite songs and this hasn't been successful in rendering a decision, haha
Which one of them feels most comfort in long run? That is pretty important thing you should consider when choosing. For gaming positioning is really important as well, you can try this out in some games and there is some videos on youtube about it as well (positional sound search should give some). I myself like neutral sound and accuracy in sound.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

What headphones did you end with? Would be interesting to know. And why?

I

imran ali

Audiophyte
If I had to choose between the 2, I would pick the cheaper one. But would I buy them? Hard to say as I haven't heard those headphones and 700$ is still plenty for headphones. Would be really nice to directly compare those for example with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT990 and see how they do in sound and comfort comparison.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis