High end outdoor speakers...;-)

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Ok. So i'm in the process of building a roof over our patio with my father in-law's help. The porch area will be 12' L x 46' W , all tiled and with 11' vaulted ceilings. We currently don't have a pool yet, but are contemplating the idea once we are sure the kids are avid swimmers. Anyways, I want to be able to sit outside and enjoy music almost as good as if I was in my dedicated room. I've been looking at outdoor speakers but haven't seen anything that catches my attention. I've been looking at the JBL AW266. I doubt there's a lot of people that have heard them (seeing as they're "pro" speakers), but wondering if there are other options out there. They need to be all weather (they'll be under the roof but might get wet once in a while with heavy rains). Any ideas or suggestions? I'm planning on running the outdoors with another Sonos connected to a Crown or Ashley amplifier that'll be in the closet under the stairs where the rest of the whole house system is (fans are of no concern). Suggestions?

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Also looking at the JBL Control 30 which are way more reasonable priced. I've heard the Control 5 and 10 used indoors but looking to maximize the outdoor spl. We have a lot of parties. ;)

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I've been looking at the JBL AW266.
Well for $6600 a pair they better sound good! JBL’s website notes that they are suitable for things like sports facilities, water parks, cruise ships and entertainment venues, so I would expect that you’re paying more for long term reliability than sound quality. I’m not saying that they won’t sound good, just saying don’t expect them to sound as good as comparably-priced high end “indoor” speakers. Same with the Control 30.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Yea, I kind of figured. I want something that is durable, but sound quality is really #1. Any suggestions?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

For something high-end in an outdoor speaker, I have no idea. I suspect you have your work cut out for you if that’s what you really want, because the demand for such a product is virtually non-existent.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok. So i'm in the process of building a roof over our patio with my father in-law's help. The porch area will be 12' L x 46' W , all tiled and with 11' vaulted ceilings. We currently don't have a pool yet, but are contemplating the idea once we are sure the kids are avid swimmers. Anyways, I want to be able to sit outside and enjoy music almost as good as if I was in my dedicated room. I've been looking at outdoor speakers but haven't seen anything that catches my attention. I've been looking at the JBL AW266. I doubt there's a lot of people that have heard them (seeing as they're "pro" speakers), but wondering if there are other options out there. They need to be all weather (they'll be under the roof but might get wet once in a while with heavy rains). Any ideas or suggestions? I'm planning on running the outdoors with another Sonos connected to a Crown or Ashley amplifier that'll be in the closet under the stairs where the rest of the whole house system is (fans are of no concern). Suggestions?
Not going to happen. As I have explained many times before loudspeaker cones are very poor couplers and very inefficient in the LF. Without room gain you are pretty much dead in the water without enormous horns and lots of power.

Unless you have about a quarter mil to spend forget it. The next issue is that once you do get decent bass outdoors it carries for miles and the local constabulary will be on your doorstep pronto.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think JBL pro speakers are great. So do most people who have been to live events that use JBL pro speakers.

I actually use cheaper JBL pro speakers for my karaoke in the family room. They sound pretty decent for music. I'm sure the higher-end JBL will sound even better.

Of course, when you are outdoors, there will be plenty of noise floor from the environment, so I think spending that much money on outdoor speakers is kind of a waste.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Yea I agree. I'm probably going with the Control 30 just because when we have parties, we can crank them up. Not worried about neighbors as they're usually at the parties. ;-) They'd probably be a little more durable than the other outdoor speakers. Maybe I'll build an outdoor subwoofer. ;-)

T

Tom Grooms

Audiophyte
Add the Boston Acoustics Voyager series to your short list. The Voyager 70's are great, listening to them now...

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
NHT isn't "high-end", but I think they sound high-end enough. :D
Now you've opened a can of worms! What's the definition of high-end? 80th percentile price?, 90th? 99th? Also, the NHT's and the BA's may be in a higher price percentile in a population of outdoor speakers than they are in the larger population of outdoor AND indoor speakers.

We need a statistician.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
I gotta listen to those NHTs. You think they're more durable and sound better and louder than the Control 30s?
Remember that during parties these are gonna be cranked up. Planning on running the with a crown amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I gotta listen to those NHTs. You think they're more durable and sound better and louder than the Control 30s?
Remember that during parties these are gonna be cranked up. Planning on running the with a crown amp.
The Control 30 is rated at 93dB/w/m and max of 123dB SPL (short term) & 117dB (long term). So it will play a lot louder than the NHT. I think it's probably more durable too.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
+1 Rep for Ashley Amps :)
+1 Rep for JBL Pro speakers.

Have you looked at Electrovoice yet? I have heard most of their product lines. Though not these ones. They have pretty good pro speakers over all. The should at least make the auditioning list. ;)
Of course, if you look at my signature, you will see I am a little biased. you will probably need something bigger, or a outdoor sub if you want good bass.

http://www.electrovoice.com/family.php?id=168
EVID 3.2, 4.2, 6.2

Good luck, and keep us in the know as to what you do. I will be rebuilding and expanding my back patio cover, and this is also on my to do list.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
I'll put those in the audition list as well. ;-) Many years ago before I went crazy, I had an FTX-1500. Awesome amplifier. :) Even if I do the JBL COntrol 30s, I'll most likely add one of their outdoor subs as well. I already bought the wire for the audio system outside. I'm going to be running a 20 amp circuit to the patio area. Amps, lights, ect. ;-)

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Is this going to be a Zone 2, or a completely separate unit from your HT system? Have you already looked into some of the Home Automation stuff? for example a control 4 system.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
It'll probably be run from a Sonos system as that is what I have throughout the entire house. I could also run it off of Zone 2 from my Marantz AV7005 but I really like the way the app works for the Sonos.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis