HiFiMAN HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones: An Audioholics First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The HiFiMAN HE-560 planar magnetic headphones promise all the performance of the other HiFiMAN headphones, but there is an important difference: weight. At a hair under 14 ounces, the HE-560 is less than a third the weight of other HiFiMAN offerings. What else does the HE-560 have to offer? How about newly designed singled ended planar magnetic drivers, a new headband with beveled earcups, and an easy to drive design? We're sure these will be just as popular as the other HiFiMAN offerings.

Read the HiFiMAN HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones Preview here. Anybody looking for a new set of cans?

S

swspiers

Audioholic
It's great to see a write-up on this upcoming ser of cans. I previously owned the HE-5LE from them, and while it was a world-class can in many ways, it fell short compared to the Alpha Dogs, a closed planar.

One thing to note- the pre-production 560 is changed, and they are using a veneer over plastic instead of the original teak cups. They also tweaked the sound quality, and changed the cable.

J

Jerryfish

Audiophyte
Have these been tested against and of the other planar range of headphones. I'm especially interested in the Audeze LCD-2's?

S

swspiers

Audioholic
Posting in any of the headphone-related areas of Audioholics is like burping in a library- it's so quiet I feel like I am offending just by posting.

Anyway, I have the HE-560's as part of a touring set through Head-Fi and Hifiman. I'll be writing my impressions on them in about a week.

I will write this: within about 5 minutes of listening to them on well-mastered material, I was pretty much ready to buy them. I didn't, because I generally don't make purchases that quickly, but these seem to be good enough to make an exception...

R

riker1384

Junior Audioholic
Those weights can't be right, can they? 2 kg for the HE-500? Hifiman says they're 502 g. That's still heavy though.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
I got to spend a few days with the HE-560's a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, my entire system took a dive at the same time, and I ended up replacing my receiver, headphone amp, and other gear, so my time was limited.

In short, the 560's are the most speaker-like sounding headphone I have ever heard. They are the first planar speakers that I think truly emulate the sound of magnepans. If anyone is interested in trying a premium headphone who is strictly a speaker-oriented enthusiast, these may be the headphones to try.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis