hey guys, I need help!

B

brianspiegle202

Enthusiast
sorry my first post is a question instead of offering assistance but I need help.
need help from any home theater buffs or techies!!!

I recently bought a samsung 65 inch samsung ks8000 4k hdr tv, I also bought the samsung k550 sound bar WITH the rear speaker package. I also purchased the hdmi 2.0a cables for all my connections. the system sounds beautiful and everything works perfectly, that being said. I don't really feel "surrounded" by the sound. i have minimal surround effect with the levels cranked up to max (6) and I even bought speaker stands for my 2 rear speakers to put them lower and closer to the couch. now I've been looking at other systems, one in particular is the onkyo hts-5800 system, it is built for dolby atmos, has 5 speakers and a sub woofer in the package, and a 4k receiver with 7.1 channel support (i believe) if I want to add more speakers. I was looking at the specs and I see the onkyo is like 115 watts, but my samsung sound bar is like 340 i think. that seems like a big drop in wattage. does this matter? should I stick with the sound bar? my big thing is I'm trying to future proof my system for a little while and I just don't like that I can't upgrade my samsung system simply by connecting more speakers or anything, I'm just stuck with what I have. if that's the case I'm leaning toward returning it and going with the onkyo receiver/system.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you can, I would return the soundbar package. Wattage ratings in those packages can be really missleading to start with. Anyways you should stay away from package htib like that onkyo as well.

What is your budget for system? How big is your room? And where are you from? With this information we can give you suggestions what to buy. It is best to build up your own system. It is also possible to start with stereo (2.0) and build it up to 5.1 later if you have tight budget.

B

brianspiegle202

Enthusiast
I live in michigan usa, the room is kinda small for a living room, I'd say.....20x15.

I don't really wanna go over 500, the wife is already giving me grief haha. I used a pretty good chunk on the tv.

thanks for the quick reply!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

500 is little low budget for 5.1, would it possible if you started with 3.0 and you upgrade later for 5.0 / 5.1 ?

B

brianspiegle202

Enthusiast
I believe my sound bar is 3.1 plus the rear speakers make it 5.1?

what SHOULD my budget be?

I really just want to be able to hear a 3d effect. like be surrounded...not just LOUD lol

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want a better sound, you will need to raise your budget. Sorry, but there is only so much inexpensive soundbars can do. You are after a realistic sound stage, and that involves individual speakers with proper placement.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

For around 600$ you could get 5.0 with AA monitors (4 AA Monitors and center): http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Receivers start from around 200$, depending on the features you will need: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?brand_f[]=DENON&brand_f[]=YAMAHA&brand_f[]=MARANTZ I would pick a receiver from either Denon, Marantz or Yamaha.

Cheapest sub is 150$, I would get 2 for more even response so that would make it 300$: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629 Don't know how much bass you would like to have but these would get you started. Better subs are going to cost 500$+ each.

So 5.0 system would be around 800$ and 950/1100$ for 5.1/5.2 system. 3.0 system would be around 600$. These are what I would start with low budget and with this you would be upgrading the subs first.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As what has been said already, return everything is a good idea if you really prefer something "future proof" or at least for longer term. Any money you save now with those mini systems could seem like waste if you have to upgrade eventually, and soon. Starting with a 3.1 system is also a good idea because when you are ready to get two more speakers, you can just demote the first 2 to the back for surround duties.

Actually, to conserve even more cash, you can go with 2.1 first and consider it phase 1, because a good center speaker can be quite costly. Phase 2 will be for a good center speaker, and then you decide the timing to go with a good quality front speakers that can be suitable for serious music enjoyment.

A $500 2.1 may sound better overall than a $399 5.1 sound bar based surround system due to the better quality, though missing the surround effect.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
@brianspiegle202 Would you consider a DIY project?

3x Jeff Bagby Quarks -- $161.58
Monoprice 9723 - $141.47
Pioneer Elite VSX-44 - $208.98

Total = $512.03 shipped (not incl. accessories)*, and you get a great sounding front LCR of diminutive size with potentially high wife acceptance factor, plus a decent subwoofer while only slightly bending your budget. And you get to brag that you built them. You can always add rear surrounds later.

* Accessories would include speaker wire, binding post cups, hole saw, paint, wood glue, solder, crimp-on slide connectors, wood clamps, and wall mounts.

Despite not including rear surrounds in this list, your chief complaint is still addressed. Having stereo separates for your front LR will give you better stereo separation, and the surround-ness of the sound will sound better than a sound bar ever could.

---------

Alternate suggestion: if you live near Detroit, this Ascend Acoustics combo looks extremely promising as well. Dive on this if it's an option, even if you have to drive a few hours to get it! Brand new that combo of LCR + stands would cost around a grand. See measurements. Then complete it with the receiver and subwoofer I linked above.

Last edited:
Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
If the DIY option is not your thing, I'd simply save up until you can properly make improvements to your sound system, or build it up incrementally as some above suggested. A HtiB is going to surround you alright.. surround you with crappy sound. You'll realize this and wish you hadn't bought it. And I've never been a fan of soundbars personally. To me they are just essentially "TV Speakers" with a bit better frequency response, and even then - not always.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
These guys have given good advice. I would also return the soundbar system. The 340 watt rating is probably derived from an inflated 68wpc rating. Anyway, the idea to start with the front stage is a good one. Probably get laughed at, but around here garage sale season will be starting soon, and if you can stand looking through a whole lotta junk, you might be able to score something decent for cheap. Even if it's only a pair of bookshelf speakers for surround duty. You never know what people are getting rid of. Also, pawn shops can have surprisingly good stuff.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Those links don't seem to be working. Why are you so set on buying from Best Buy? Unless you have a credit line there or something that you plan to use plenty of options elsewhere that may get you more bang for your buck. I myself am a good example of building a fairly decent HT system on a budget. Look at SVS's Prime series speakers - I have one of their older discontinued series but they offer 45 in-home trial with free return if you don't like them. Plus their customer service practically cannot be beat. You could start with two prime bookshelf speakers for $500, then when you have more money to spend, upgrade to two Prime Towers for the fronts and move the bookshelves to the rear for your surrounds. Plug in a center when and if you feel like it to get the true 5.1. That's pretty much exactly what I did, I'm certainly not rich and have a few other very expensive hobbies to keep up to boot, lol.

SVS Prime Series Bookshelf Speakers

A lot of guys on here have a much deeper breadth of knowledge and experience with other brands at this price point as well, so listen to them too. They won't lead you astray. I just find that the SVS brand has worked very very well for my needs and they're a rare company that really looks after their customers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For me all of the Best Buy links are broken...

Limiting yourself to best buy isn't a very good strategy. Especially when it comes to subwoofers. Ones with a Magnolia room aren't too bad. I've heard they're going to start carrying SVS products. You can get better quality gear for the same price elsewhere. SVS is having a president's day sale for a few days and they're cutting some of the prices in their outlet right now. Hsu Research makes really good subs too, and they're very competitively priced.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those links don't seem to be working. Why are you so set on buying from Best Buy? Unless you have a credit line there or something that you plan to use plenty of options elsewhere that may get you more bang for your buck. I myself am a good example of building a fairly decent HT system on a budget. Look at SVS's Prime series speakers - I have one of their older discontinued series but they offer 45 in-home trial with free return if you don't like them. Plus their customer service practically cannot be beat. You could start with two prime bookshelf speakers for $500, then when you have more money to spend, upgrade to two Prime Towers for the fronts and move the bookshelves to the rear for your surrounds. Plug in a center when and if you feel like it to get the true 5.1. That's pretty much exactly what I did, I'm certainly not rich and have a few other very expensive hobbies to keep up to boot, lol.

SVS Prime Series Bookshelf Speakers

A lot of guys on here have a much deeper breadth of knowledge and experience with other brands at this price point as well, so listen to them too. They won't lead you astray. I just find that the SVS brand has worked very very well for my needs and they're a rare company that really looks after their customers.
I just posted that their outlet also has reduced pricing right now for President's Day. They have Prime bookshelf speakers for as low as $179 each, full warranty.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I may have to check that sale out myself, hah. I plan on upgrading to the Prime Tower package at some point after the holy mother of all clouds of dust settles from my recent 4k upgrade spending spree. :D

SVS is already in a few BB stores in my area, but not any that are right near me. Soon as I find a reason to be on that side of town I plan to stop by and have a look. They should have been a featured product in Magnolia from the beginning. Glad to see them finally getting out there and competing in the real world and not just online.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I may have to check that sale out myself, hah. I plan on upgrading to the Prime Tower package at some point after the holy mother of all clouds of dust settles from my recent 4k upgrade spending spree. :D

SVS is already in a few BB stores in my area, but not any that are right near me. Soon as I find a reason to be on that side of town I plan to stop by and have a look. They should have been a featured product in Magnolia from the beginning. Glad to see them finally getting out there and competing in the real world and not just online.
I just bought a pair of Ultra bookshelf speakers and I love them. Also running a pair of SB1000's with them. They have Prime Towers in the outlet for 299 each right now too. Pretty smoking deal.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I just bought a pair of Ultra bookshelf speakers and I love them. Also running a pair of SB1000's with them. They have Prime Towers in the outlet for 299 each right now too. Pretty smoking deal.
Gahhhh! No! Why did you tell me this. *Pulls out debit card... *considers the health implications of eating Ramen for a month straight...

But I digress. Don't mean to hijack the OP's thread and make it all about me. :D

B

brianspiegle202

Enthusiast
haha it's all good guys, I was just wanting to keep it bb, simply because I have always gotten quality from them, and if I return the sound bar, that's were my credit will be with.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis