Here come New Brands of OLED TV's!

• Thread starter Jeffrey S. Albaugh
  • Start date
J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Here it comes Guys. New brands of OLED TV's. This should bring down the price of 4K OLED TV's, and also begin to hurt 4K UHD sets. These will then drop in price even more.:

New OLED TVs demonstrated at IFA 2016
One of the world's largest consumer electronics trade shows, IFA, took place in September 2016. During the event, several companies demonstrated new OLED TVs. All of those TVs use OLED panels produced by LG display.

So first up we have Philips, with its first OLED TV, the 901F. This is a 55-inch 4K OLED TV that supports three-sided Ambilight, HDR and Philips' Perfect-Pixel Ultra-HD picture processing. Grundig also revealed its first TV, the 65VLO9790 - this one uses a larger 65" 4K panel and is made by Turkish Arcelik. Grundig's TV will launch in the autumn of 2016 for around €3300 in Turkey.

Arcelik also demonstrated its own OLED TV, which also uses a 65" 4K panel. Arcelik will offer this to other OEMs. Fellow-Turkish electronic makers Vestel had a 65" 4K OLED TV of its own on display.
In other OLED TV news from IFA, Panasonic unveiled a new "reference" OLED TV prototype, Loewe demonstrated its upcoming Bild 7 OLED TV, and China's Skyworth unveiled a dual-view 55" OLED display for commercial and signage applications.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think we still have a couple years before they really start picking up sales.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
It will be sooner then that. As soon as the new Panasonic OLED's arrive, that will be a game changer. Some people don't trust LG. After that, 4K UHD sets will again go down in price & favorability. People really want OLED, but most are just not going to pay the price. Samsung stubbornly is pushing SUHD, which still takes a back seat to OLED. Other manufacturers will jump off the 4K UHD bandwagon and go to 4K OLED.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
It will be sooner then that. As soon as the new Panasonic OLED's arrive, that will be a game changer. Some people don't trust LG. After that, 4K UHD sets will again go down in price & favorability. People really want OLED, but most are just not going to pay the price. Samsung stubbornly is pushing SUHD, which still takes a back seat to OLED. Other manufacturers will jump off the 4K UHD bandwagon and go to 4K OLED.
It won't be a game changer unless Samsung and Sony get into the OLED game. I hope they do. If not, OLED will die a fast and painful death.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
It won't be a game changer unless Samsung and Sony get into the OLED game. I hope they do. If not, OLED will die a fast and painful death.
Sony won't jump in; they are too proud. Years ago, JVC created LCOS, otherwise known as DILA. They called there's SXRD. Exactly the same technology as DILA, but they, again called it something else. Samsung won't either. They came up with SUHD: not as good as OLED.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This isn't correct at all.

OLED doesn't require multiple manufacturers to remain a viable technology. It just needs to be profitable to the manufacturer(s) which use it. At this point, that is really just LG, but if they are making a profit, and the technology is favorable, then why would it die?

This isn't like HD DVD vs. Blu-ray Disc. It's not a competing, incompatible format. It's just another display technology that anyone can use with all their equipment.

Moreso, reviews indicate that the OLED displays are outperforming the LCD counterparts.

Yes, OLED is a premium product. About $2,000 for 55" and $3,000 for 65"... and upward.
So, you can get a cheaper LCD display no problem. For a quarter of the price even. Yep, $400 on the Best Buy website for entry level 55" LCD models.

But, they are LCDs and won't match the image quality. Plus, $2,000 isn't like the $5,000+ which the Pioneer Kuro plasmas used to run. Certainly people will buy 100 55" cheap flat panels for every OLED 55" display which is purchased, but the reviews support OLED as being a superior technology. As being the best technology since plasma disappeared. So, if people want top shelf image quality, they really only have one choice, and that comes in the form of OLED, and right now, that means LG.

While the OLED market may remain small, it's owned by LG at this point, and LG really is a very price competitive company. They aren't putting all their eggs into the basket of OLED, they have many other displays, and many other products they bank on. But, that really doesn't matter much. What matters is if they are making a profit on OLED, and if they can continue to do so. Unless you know something I don't, they could have a very long product lifespan with OLED.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic

OLED doesn't require multiple manufacturers to remain a viable technology. It just needs to be profitable to the manufacturer(s) which use it. At this point, that is really just LG, but if they are making a profit, and the technology is favorable, then why would it die?

This isn't like HD DVD vs. Blu-ray Disc. It's not a competing, incompatible format. It's just another display technology that anyone can use with all their equipment.

Moreso, reviews indicate that the OLED displays are outperforming the LCD counterparts.

Yes, OLED is a premium product. About $2,000 for 55" and $3,000 for 65"... and upward.
So, you can get a cheaper LCD display no problem. For a quarter of the price even. Yep, $400 on the Best Buy website for entry level 55" LCD models.

But, they are LCDs and won't match the image quality. Plus, $2,000 isn't like the $5,000+ which the Pioneer Kuro plasmas used to run. Certainly people will buy 100 55" cheap flat panels for every OLED 55" display which is purchased, but the reviews support OLED as being a superior technology. As being the best technology since plasma disappeared. So, if people want top shelf image quality, they really only have one choice, and that comes in the form of OLED, and right now, that means LG.

While the OLED market may remain small, it's owned by LG at this point, and LG really is a very price competitive company. They aren't putting all their eggs into the basket of OLED, they have many other displays, and many other products they bank on. But, that really doesn't matter much. What matters is if they are making a profit on OLED, and if they can continue to do so. Unless you know something I don't, they could have a very long product lifespan with OLED.
OLED prices will not go down until other manufacturer's switch to it. Right now, no other technology approaches it. There will soon be other brands of OLED. This will bring down the pricing. There is always other, newer technology on the horizon. Do you wait for it? I think not.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
OLED prices will not go down until other manufacturer's switch to it. Right now, no other technology approaches it. There will soon be other brands of OLED. This will bring down the pricing. There is always other, newer technology on the horizon. Do you wait for it? I think not.
Right, but I've been waiting for OLED for 10+ years!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sony had an OLED TV years ago. Granted it was $2000 for something like a 27" tv, but still.

I think that the other companies will jump to the technology, they just have to find a way to make it profitable first (someone already said that).

Generally, people don't care about perfect image quality. They want bright and big. LCD does that, but I can't normally watch lower end LCDs as the motion blur (screen door effect, whatever you want to call it) bother my eyes. Frame interpolation make it look worse. Higher end models don't have this problem as much, but most people buy cheap.

I'm very glad I got one of the last Panasonic plasmas before they stopped production. Only thing I've seen better is the LG OLED panels. Fantastic, but I'm waiting until all the UHD stuff is standardized completely before I jump in.

I'd love a Panasonic OLED, but they are commanding a pretty high price.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can get an entry level LCD for about $200-$250 these days, and we're talking 46"-50".

This is one technology that I don't think all manufacturers will fully adopt. They will put something out because it is is the what's hot, but not fully jump. Prices would go down from competition because competition causes them to invest more in solving the issues, but OLED is an expensive technology to manufacture period still. When someone figures out how to make yield better and/or make it cheaper for TV size screens, others would jump on board. I think manufacturers are already looking at the next tech and that's why you see some doing QLED to extend LCD for now.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You may be right. I'd be willing to bet that the big manufacturers will make OLED sets, but I don't think they'll make the panels. Just source from someone else.

They might not though and move on to the next tech as you said. We really have no way of knowing.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

I will say it again, OLED will die on the vine if other manufacturers don't get into the game. It will die if LED with totally bogus marketing scam called 4K continue to be marketed and sold. OLED may not be an incompatible technology, no display technology is, however its a competing technology and if its not competitive on the market, it will die. Did you not witness how LED killed off PDP technology? The death of Plasma went in the opposite direction, display manufacturers that once made plasma TV's, gradually, one after the other, stop making them in favor LED. Now no current display manufacturer makes or markets plasma TV's so therefore plasma is obsolete. The attributes of OLED is loss on the masses, they don't care about infinite blacks, they are happy with their now $300.00 4K LED's.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
You may be right. I'd be willing to bet that the big manufacturers will make OLED sets, but I don't think they'll make the panels. Just source from someone else.

They might not though and move on to the next tech as you said. We really have no way of knowing.
Why are you so optimistic? Where is the demand for OLED other than some videophiles? Why would display manufacturers go all in on OLED when they haven't done it yet? Where is Samsung and Sony? Sony totally abandoned OLED. Panasonic was a huge PDP manufacturer, is getting into the OLED game with a $18,000 TV, that won't cut, it will gather dust in retailer warehouses.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Why are you so optimistic? Where is the demand for OLED other than some videophiles? Why would display manufacturers go all in on OLED when they haven't done it yet? Where is Samsung and Sony? Sony totally abandoned OLED. Panasonic was a huge PDP manufacturer, is getting into the OLED game with a $18,000 TV, that won't cut, it will gather dust in retailer warehouses.
It's simple. Something "new" has to come out for the people that don't know anything to buy a new TV. OLED is selling because it's expensive and people want to pretend they have the best.

Not only that, people tend to feel superior if they have a 4k tv and you don't. Never mind that it's a POS that doesn't have a 10th as good a picture as my current plasma ($500 LCD 4K).

Same thing happened with 3D. Once 4K is the only option they'll have to come up with some other marketing gimmick to make people buy a TV. Happened with LED/LCD (LED was "new" and people didn't realize it was the same tech, but different lighting).

Cheap LCD TVs look so bad it makes me mad when I go out to look for a TV. Even the higher end doesn't look all that great. I know we who actually care about picture quality aren't the norm, but someone has to market to the high end.

I know people aren't going to stop buying TVs no matter what, but if LCD tech lasts a long time with no issues, why do people need a new TV with no "new" features?

I may be totally wrong, and some of you probably think so, but I still have friends in AV sales and OLED is all anyone wants that can afford it. If panels become cheaper, why wouldn't the other companies make OLED TVs?

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
You can get an entry level LCD for about $200-$250 these days, and we're talking 46"-50".

This is one technology that I don't think all manufacturers will fully adopt. They will put something out because it is is the what's hot, but not fully jump. Prices would go down from competition because competition causes them to invest more in solving the issues, but OLED is an expensive technology to manufacture period still. When someone figures out how to make yield better and/or make it cheaper for TV size screens, others would jump on board. I think manufacturers are already looking at the next tech and that's why you see some doing QLED to extend LCD for now.
Now we're see companies competing with marketing there product.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis