S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would go for the RF-82, and then cross over the sub lower, much lower, like maybe 50 Hz. My guess is the RF-82 will have substantially more midbass capability (with the proper amplification) than the SB2000.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know about that...the SB2000 is pretty darn good at that and has a 500 watt amp behind it, loudspeakers tend to have more falloff when you try to get deep *and* loud. Yes, they'll do pretty good "with the proper amplification" but that can be more expensive than a sub.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Compared to two RF-82s, I don't think the SB2000 will have the kind of midbass output that those speakers are capable of, even if you power the speakers with just 50 watts a channel. The bass section of those speakers are on the sensitive side. The SVS sub is very good, but I think in such a setup its energy would be better reserved for deep stuff, thereby taking a load of the Klipsch drivers, which are likely more adept at mid and upper bass. Besides, taking the midbass load off of the SB2000 means more amplification can be directed toward a more narrow band.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Klipsch can be nice for that movie/tv sound - as for me I am an overall fan of the Focal Chorus.
The Klipsch may have an edge in dynamics, but overall I Like Focal.

The choice all comes down to you - JBL, Klipsch, Focal, etc

Focal sale at AC4L
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focal727v2ba/focal-chorus-727v2-726-6.5-3-way-floorstanding-speaker-black-ash-pair/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focalcc700blka/focal-chorus-cc700-6.5-2-way-center-speaker-black-each/1.html

Last edited:
S

Stevemc

Enthusiast
Good morning everyone! Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! I work in retail so I put my search on hold for a bit but I'm back. So I went to a local Audio store and found that what I was really missing was that wide soundstage that fills my room. It wasn't necessarily the dynamics of my Monitor Audios after all. While I was at the store I got to listen to the Klipsch rp-260f and thought that they sounded great. They were not quite as harsh as previous Klipsch speakers I have heard in the past. So I would love to get your feedback on the following:

Klipsch RP-260 F with matching center=$1367

Tekton Design Lore Reference with matching center=$1275
I spoke with Eric and he was very easy to deal with and answered a ton of my questions. These have me especially interested.

Chane A5RX-C with center=$1067
I had just as good of an experience speaking with Jon who actually tried to down sell me into the A1.4. He was a great guy and I have been interested in these for awhile. They actually won a speaker shootout against Tekton, Klipsch, Focal and a few others.

Lastly Accessories4less has some really good deals right now:

Kef Q-500 floorstanders and a matching center=$1097

Focal Chorus 727 v2 and matching center=$1348

They even have some factory refurbished Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos towers with matching center for $950

These all sound like great deals. Any advice out of these in particular would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

S

Stevemc

Enthusiast
Oh I almost forgot, Paradigm is running a sale giving you a free center channel with every pair of Monitor towers. So that's Monitor 7 v7 plus matching center (3-way design) =$1200

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
They're all good, so just buy whatever you can afford and looks good to you in your space. You wouldn't be unhappy.

S

Stevemc

Enthusiast
They're all good, so just buy whatever you can afford and looks good to you in your space. You wouldn't be unhappy.
Thanks for the quick reply. They are all in my budget. I feel as though they would all fit into my decor. Does one seem a better value than the others? Does one stand out as being significantly better than the others? Perhaps I'm over thinking this? Haha

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Fifty people will have at least 25 different preferences. I have KEF and so does my son. We will say you need to listen to those. I've heard the Klipsch RP-280F and if the smaller RP-260F is like them, they're very good and not nearly as bright as their previous R26F. Others with say the Chane with a ribbon tweeter is far better than any of them. It's all personal preference.

S

Stevemc

Enthusiast
Fifty people will have at least 25 different preferences. I have KEF and so does my son. We will say you need to listen to those. I've heard the Klipsch RP-280F and if the smaller RP-260F is like them, they're very good and not nearly as bright as their previous R26F. Others with say the Chane with a ribbon tweeter is far better than any of them. It's all personal preference.
You are so right. I have always been intrigued by the Chane tweeter. I guess I may have to bite the bullet and buy a pair to try out. I suppose when you get int this hobby you always have that feeling that one brand may be better than the other. It's impossible to try then all. What Kefs do you have? How do you like the tweeters on those? I've heard that they really spread the sound out quite nicely.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want a wide soundstage, you will want a speaker with wide dispersion. I would be looking at Revel, to name one brand that does this well. To be honest, your Monitor Audio speakers shouldn't be bad at that, at least the Silver series have measured very well for off-axis response. You might also look at the Infinity Reference series.

S

Stevemc

Enthusiast
If you want a wide soundstage, you will want a speaker with wide dispersion. I would be looking at Revel, to name one brand that does this well. To be honest, your Monitor Audio speakers shouldn't be bad at that, at least the Silver series have measured very well for off-axis response. You might also look at the Infinity Reference series.
My father in law has the Revel Ultima series and they are fantastic. Just a bit out of my price range. Haha That is why I was trying to find a good deal out there. I had the Bronze BX2s. The silver is far better but again out of my price range by a bit.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You are so right. I have always been intrigued by the Chane tweeter. I guess I may have to bite the bullet and buy a pair to try out. I suppose when you get int this hobby you always have that feeling that one brand may be better than the other. It's impossible to try then all. What Kefs do you have? How do you like the tweeters on those? I've heard that they really spread the sound out quite nicely.
I own what's in my signature, R500 mains, R200c center, R100 as surrounds in a 5.1 system and a pair of iQ10's as L-R mains in my upstairs guest bedroom 5.1 system. My son has Q500 mains, Q200c center, Q800ds surrounds and Q300 rears in a 7.1 system.

The Uni-Q tweeters are really good. They're not bright one bit, if fact a bit laid-back at the very highest frequencies. Soundstage isn't as big as Klipsch Reference Premier, but far more depth to it. I can get up to about 30º to 40º off-axis without major penalty in sound quality, same for my son.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My father in law has the Revel Ultima series and they are fantastic. Just a bit out of my price range. Haha That is why I was trying to find a good deal out there. I had the Bronze BX2s. The silver is far better but again out of my price range by a bit.
Take a look at the Revel Concerta2 series. They have the same nice wide dispersion, but a lot more affordable. Very uniform off-axis response.

S

Stevemc

Enthusiast
I own what's in my signature, R500 mains, R200c center, R100 as surrounds in a 5.1 system and a pair of iQ10's as L-R mains in my upstairs guest bedroom 5.1 system. My son has Q500 mains, Q200c center, Q800ds surrounds and Q300 rears in a 7.1 system.

The Uni-Q tweeters are really good. They're not bright one bit, if fact a bit laid-back at the very highest frequencies. Soundstage isn't as big as Klipsch Reference Premier, but far more depth to it. I can get up to about 30º to 40º off-axis without major penalty in sound quality, same for my son.
Sounds like you both have great systems. I have always wanted to hear those Uni-Q drivers. The Kef from accessories4less and the Chanes would be my least expensive options. It certainly gives me a lot to think about. Thanks for all the input!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis