Help with Yamaha RX-V565 optical input

S

SolarSystem

Audiophyte
I cannot get optical input to work - neither from the TV nor going through my HD monitor from my PC (connected to monitor via HDMI)

Tried the optical cable in both AV1 & AV4 inputs. Light does come out the end of the optical cable. Output is nothing but silence.

All other inputs seem to work fine.

S

SolarSystem

Audiophyte
Idiots need not reply.

I did say that ALL OTHER INPUTS seem to work fine. IE: the receiver works and is therefor clearly plugged in. I'm accessing this forum using said monitor, so yes, it is plugged in too. So's the TV, I might add.

Now please give me a useful response.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. Have you assigned that optical input to a source? I'll go check out your manual, but I'm guessing that you need to do that.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I couldn't get the manual to download all the way.
Check to see if inputs are assignable.
I seem to remember something about the inability to assign an optical input and HDMI input to the same source.
EDIT:While trying to download manual I see Adam has the answer.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Also make sure that the dust covers aren't on the ends of the optical cable (the clear plastic caps that are put on to protect the ends). It's more common than you might think that people either forget to remove those or don't realize that they should - I've never bought a cable that says to take them off.

S

SolarSystem

Audiophyte
Rickster: The inputs don't have multiple sources. The receiver is only getting input from the optical cable. (the HDMI is going from PC to monitor, which itself forwards audio through optical)
Plastic caps...
>.<
Thanks, Adam. I'm among those that didn't know they should remove them.

I have sound! :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis