help with speaker design

M

mwb

Enthusiast
My 15 year old son has purchased two 10" Subwoofers, for installing into his 1994 Thunderbird with the following spec.

power -1000 watts max
voice coil= 2"
znom= 4 ohms
Fs= 26.9 Hz
SPL= 83.5 dB 2.83v/1m
Vas= 2.39 cu ft.
Qms= 5.23
Qes= .89
Qts= .76
Dual voice coil
Diminsions: A= 10.16", B= 9.69", C= 6.8"

My question is can someone with more knowledge than I help direct us to a proper box design,for this application, as oppose to him just buying whatever box has clear covers with neon lights.

Thanks for the help

annunaki

annunaki

I will run it through WinISD later. I do not have it on this computer. Or you could download WinISD yourself and plug in the parameters. It is free. Either way, I will try to help you out.
:)

M

mwb

Enthusiast
speaker design

i downloaded the isdwin, thank you
i ran the numbers i listed above, but i must be doing something wrong as the results show a rather larger than i have ever seen before enclosure?

your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

annunaki

annunaki

You will need a couple extra parameters. Xmax (one way linear), Re (electrical resistance) and continuous power handling would help greatly. It will also make the enclosure much more accurate. What brand are the subs?

Thanks.

annunaki

annunaki

Well I have run the woofers through in both ported an sealed enclosures. Ported is definitely not in the picture based on the parameters I have available. Response is all over the board. I would suggest building a sealed enclosure (with two chambers) as large as the vehicle will allow. I must admit though, with more complete parameters I would have more accurate results. I wish we had better parameters.

I would say based on what I am seeing so far, they do not care what that woofer sounds like.

M

mwb

Enthusiast
sub assistance

Parts-express, which sold the subs said to use a 24" cube sealed enclosure.
someone else told me i might be better off trying to seal the trunk and use no box

what if i bolted these face to face and wired them to use ISOBARiK, style
i.e. push-pull form would that make a reasonable enclosure?

thanks for your help.

J

joetech

Junior Audioholic
Check out BCAE1

There is an interactive website www.bcae1.com that has a very good tutorial and on-line calculators for figuring box size etc. and some very worthwhile explainations of various things. Check it out.

annunaki

annunaki

mwb said:
Parts-express, which sold the subs said to use a 24" cube sealed enclosure.
someone else told me i might be better off trying to seal the trunk and use no box

what if i bolted these face to face and wired them to use ISOBARiK, style
i.e. push-pull form would that make a reasonable enclosure?

thanks for your help.
Isobaric enclosures are designed for enhanced low frequency response. It essentially couples the woofers into acting more like one. There is usually a decrease in output with this design as opposed to a normal sealed configuration (with two subs). Like stated before, the largest enclosure you can afford to fit the better. 2 ft^3 each would be a good place to start.

Last edited:
dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
http://www.ajdesigner.com/

has some programs for different designes,bandpass,sealed,subwoofers,vented ect.just plug in the numbers and it gives you the output response,and power response.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis