Help with Portable DVD Portable DVD Players

E

ehoeg

Audiophyte
Does anyone know if MacVision and Myron and Davis Portable DVD Players the same?

I just bought a portable DVD player on the weekend from Canadian Tire here in Ottawa Canada (7" screen - model MP 1607 for $149 cdn). It was advertised as a Myron and Davis unit, but when I was handed the box, it was labelled as MacVision. I was told that the unit was the same and that they just changed names, however after doing a quick search on the net, I don't see any connection between the two companies. I found a press release that says Macvision from California changed it's name to Nextar but nothing about having been associated in any way with Myron and Davis.

I don't know either company, but have at least heard of Myron and Davis before and so I'm a bit concerned that I got a lesser product than what I thought I was buying (even though the price seems pretty good).

Any information about the quality of the products from these two companies would be appreciated?

Thanks

Earl

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I'm not familiar with the brands you mentioned, but in my experience, the half-dozen or so portable DVDs I've seen are pretty much interchangeable. I'd bet money there are probably two or three Chinese companies cranking them out for rebranding by whomever wants to market them.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I've seen the 7" players go for $99 and less, and the 8" for $139 and less (US $$). We have three of these players, and the 8" is noticably larger than the 7". They are somewhat dependable, and great for the kids on long drives. Our 5" Initial is still going strong after 4 yeas, but the Initial 7" died after several months. We exchanged it at a local store without a problem. Buying via internet may be more of a problem. Getting them locally during big holiday sales may be the way to go.

Mintek, Initial, and Poloroid seem to have the market on these small players. I'm sure as Geno stated, there's probably one large company in XiangXiang, China manufacturing the majority of them. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis