Help with my Silk tweeter and my RBH Sound SE speakers.

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
Two things I hope you guys could help with:

1:) While getting my Firehawk screen installed, and installing the SR8500 myself, last night, the installer for the home theater company that I bought the screen from last night took a battery out of his pocket and stuck it to a few of my speaker wires to "show" me how to more efficiently ID speaker wires as I hook them up to my receiver (versus labelling them.)

My question is, will a 1.5 volt AA battery do any damage to my speakers and is it really an efficient wayt to ID them?

2:) I have a self-inflicted wound from my setting up last night, as well. My wife had me moving my cabinets out of my media room into our game room and doing all sorts of crap I preferred to be doing later so I was doing my finishing up on my setup at about 2:30 AM. While working on the wiring of my center channel, I inadvertantly dimpled in the silk tweeter on my center channel speaker. I didnt notice it until earlier this afternoon when I thought i heard it as I was testing out my new gear.

I have popped the dome back out, but it does have five golf dimple sized smidges around the dome. I am hoping that the dimpls will work themselves out, and just hoping that I havent jacked myself into having my center speaker serviced.

The gist of my issue has been sound quality, it seems to me that I was getting better sound from my Yamaha 5740 before I did my new installs, if you can call it that.

I have a thread up in the receivers section regarding the Marantz SR8500 .. and am hoping to get some peace of mind or resolutions regarding my speaker and receiver concerns.

Thankfully, the Firehawk screen works like a champ on my XV-Z12000. That one I upgraded from a 80 inch tripod screen that i have been using for 2 years since i replaced my plasma TV in my media room with my sharp.

I hope you guys can help me figure it out.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
My Yamaha NS-300 speakers have silk tweeters which get dimpled frequently when played at high levels, it is perfectly normal and if it bothers you, take the cardboard inside of a toilet roll, stick it around the tweeter and use your mouth to vacuum the domple out.

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
I compared the tweeters on all of my other speakers and none of them were dimpled at all.

I kicked the tweeter in with my knee as I positioned myself to work the wire. If the dimples dont have any adverse effect on the sound than at least I can move on from that.

Know anything about using the batteries to ID speakers when wiring?

I had the theater wired when I was having the house built, and the home theater guys who wired it .. also happened to be the ones who set up my system for me when I moved in .. didnt leave my wiring in any logical sense so i have mains and surrounds misaligned out of the outlets in the wall.

Needless to say, the upgrades I bought were from another home theater company .. and Im not so sure if Im just being overly paranoid about my speakers in regards to the battery thing.

I might have to return this SR8500 with the lack of confidence I am having in it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis