Help with HTIB purchase

J

Jayme

Audiophyte
Hello all.

Any advice on which system I should get?

This: Samsung H5530 5.1 1000 watt for 349 at futureshop.

Or: Sony E4100 5.1 1000 watt for 349 at futureshop.

I know one is 100 dollars more on sale but, I'm not sure if that's just because they are having a hard time selling it, for whatever reasons.

J

Jayme

Audiophyte
Sony one is actually BDVE410
And the samsung is HT-H5530/ZC). (I guess the descriptions I read last night didn't include all of the numbers for the model make).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What is your budget?

HTIB is usually a very poor choice in any situation.

Quality is questionable, sound quality is questionable, and there is rarely any upgrade path. You get what you get and you are stuck with it.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd look at the Denon BA collaborations if you are looking for a good all in one package. You get a good receiver and decent speakers that way.

J

Jayme

Audiophyte
Budget is around 350-400. I would love to go the custom route (attempted by starting out with an athena 12 800 watt down-firing sub back in ~2007, but ran out of money - sub was still amaazing to use with my sony cube speakers :p). Within a few years hopefully. Been using my TV speakers ever since water spilled into my a/v. Which was a pioneer 5.1 1000 watt from ~2009.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
^^^ The Athena speakers in post #7 would be a nice option.

J

Jayme

Audiophyte
Thanks guys.

I will still need a subwoofer, and the amp won't turn on, according to the description.

One reason I picked those setups (with two front tall boys) was because I don't know if I'll be able to buy speaker stands/mounts.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks guys.

I will still need a subwoofer, and the amp won't turn on, according to the description.

One reason I picked those setups (with two front tall boys) was because I don't know if I'll be able to buy speaker stands/mounts.
Well, i gave an example. I don't know which area of Canada you live in.
The speakers are solid, just start scouring for deals. I believe that you could buy a decent system on your budget, but if you want it to be good you need to buy used.
Sub is important of course, but can wait. In fact everything but a receiver and pair of speakers could wait.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks guys.

Receivers here
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-buy-sell/ontario/avr-receivers/k0c10l9004?sort=priceAsc

If you live near this area - JBL sub here
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/city-of-toronto/jbl-psw-1200-sub-woofer/1038238454?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Now if you insist [not preferred] on a HTIB package from Futureshop - then go
with Onkyo, and not Sony or Samsung

J

Jayme

Audiophyte
Onkyo is too expensive for me. The custom route, even via used, seems to be a little too much money also. I want a subwoofer with it, because this will be the last time I 'll have the extra money for some time, possibly.

Have about 400, maybe 450 tops.

I don't know what amp can run those athena speakers to their max. Like I don't know what amps are too powerful or too weak for those speakers.

In the end, if we can't conjure a custom setup for around 400, then which is better: the Sony or Samsung?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Onkyo is too expensive for me. The custom route, even via used, seems to be a little too much money also. I want a subwoofer with it, because this will be the last time I 'll have the extra money for some time, possibly.

Have about 400, maybe 450 tops.

I don't know what amp can run those athena speakers to their max. Like I don't know what amps are too powerful or too weak for those speakers.

In the end, if we can't conjure a custom setup for around 400, then which is better: the Sony or Samsung?
The Onkyo system that I saw was complete and within your budget - however, still
my last preference on your budget - and would still take it over Sony and Samsung.

We have tried to make it somewhat simple for you to find deals - and do not worry
about, or have this unique fear of a receiver being too much for the Athena speakers.

You have the speakers and 2 sub options - plus a new receiver option. If you want
another receiver option then I will give one.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/oshawa-durham-region/denon-avr-591/1023726791?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis