Help with Home theater setup

D

dagarshali

Enthusiast
Hi,
I am thankful to you guys for suggesting some tips to setup my home theater. I also bought an AVIA guide to home theater and I am noticing the same problem that I noticed before.

When I play the test tune, the pink noise sweeps from FL, C, FR, SR,SL and sub. the AVIA dvd says that the sound should be heard from just the corresponding speakers. However, I hear the sound from both the surround speakers, when the channel is FR or FL or SR or SL. The DVD also says that when the Sub is supposed to be heard, you will hear the voice sub from just the FL, but, in my case I hear it from the both the surround speakers. It is very mild compared to the the voice with which its plays in the speaker in question.

Here is what I did

I made sure the the connections of spekers are correct.

My receiver is HTR 5840. I have a cheapo DVD player from KOSS. could this be the culprit? I have connect digital coaxial audio cable from dVD to receiver and I have used S-Video cable for video.

Strange it may be but this is what is hear.. The receiver has its own set up where I can say how large the room is, the number of speakers, presence of a sub-woofer. after set this, the receiver generates a test tone. I hear the sounds only from the corresponding speakers. no over lap like when I play the AVIA dvd. Can any one tell me what's happening here..?

Thanks a bunch in advance..

Vishwa

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Are you possibly playing a test that determines whether the speakers are in phase or not? That is the only reason I can think of why you would be hearing sound from multiple speakers simultaneously. Otherwise it sounds like you are getting cross talk between the channels.

D

dagarshali

Enthusiast
I am just playing the channel identification part of the DVD. I am a novice and have absolutely tiny knowledge when it comes to this.. So, please help me set this thing up..

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
dagarshali said:
I am just playing the channel identification part of the DVD. I am a novice and have absolutely tiny knowledge when it comes to this.. So, please help me set this thing up..
Maybe your receiver is trying to do some sort of processing to the audio signal. Does your receiver say that Dolby Pro Logic II is engaged or anything like that when you are trying to play the test. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with your receiver, but if it has some sort of automatic format decoding feature, that is what you will want the receiver to be set to. I'll try and find your receiver's owner's manual online and see if I can help you get it to the correct setting.

D

dagarshali

Enthusiast
infact, i hear the sounds in all speakers. Say the DVD is telling me that the FL should be playing now. I hear from the FL predominantly, but i hear in all the all speakers at a lesser magnitude.. In my earlier posting i said i heard only from the surround speakers.. i was wrong about that..

Vishwa

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like you have the speakers connected correctly if you hear the receiver's test tones in each respective speaker. If you are sure of the avia test you are using, then the problem must lie with the dvd player.

You said you are using coaxial digital out of the dvd player, so check:

1. The cable connection. Is it connected to the correct digital out of the dvd player? Usually marked 'digital audio out' or 's/pdif out'. Should be color coded orange, but not all players use the correct color coding.

2. In the DVD menu (player menu, not disc menu) is the digital out enabled? Is it set to output 'bitstream'.

3. Is the receiver's digital input connection assigned properly? See the manual for input assignment. Basically if you connect to say 'coax 1' on the receiver and have the s-video cable going to the dvd input, then you need to assign 'coax 1' to 'dvd' on the receiver. You may also have to set the input format - although most receivers default to 'auto' (the receiver figures out whether the signal is digital or analog'.

One quick way to see if the digital connection is set up properly is to use the receiver's display function. [Don't know what it is on Yamaha - on my Onkyo it is simply the 'disp' button on the receiver or remote]. It should say something like 'DD' or 'DD 3/2.1'. If it does not, then the digital connection is not being used.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
dagarshali said:
infact, i hear the sounds in all speakers. Say the DVD is telling me that the FL should be playing now. I hear from the FL predominantly, but i hear in all the all speakers at a lesser magnitude.. In my earlier posting i said i heard only from the surround speakers.. i was wrong about that..

Vishwa
You'll want to turn pro logic II off when you are doing this. I see there is a straight button on the front of your receiver. Try and use that to turn off this processing. If that doesn't work and you can't figure out how to turn off pro logic II, just post another reply and I'll keep digging in your manual.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
You can also try setting your input mode (also a button on the front) to auto.

D

dagarshali

Enthusiast
when i hit the straight button, this are clear now.. it is behaving the way it is suppose to..however, if the speakers donot behave the way they are suppose to, when what is the use of having pro logic II or dts or neo 6 etc etc..

when can i use them.. ?

vishwa

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
It sounds like you're still only getting the anolog stereo signal. I think your problem is that you didn't assign the the digital input as MDS mentioned #3. Follow the instructions on pg.60 for the input menu.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
dagarshali said:
when i hit the straight button, this are clear now.. it is behaving the way it is suppose to..however, if the speakers donot behave the way they are suppose to, when what is the use of having pro logic II or dts or neo 6 etc etc..

when can i use them.. ?

vishwa
Pro Logic II and DTS Neo:6 are designed to take 2 channel sources (like a CD or a TV stereo signal or a DVD with only a 2.0 soundtrack) and process them so that you can get simulated surround sound.

You don't want to simulate anything, though, when you are setting up your speakers!! :)

Try it out with different sources and see if you like the way it sounds when it is engaged. Some people like to listen to music with pro logic II or DTS neo:6. There are settings for both music and movie sources for these modes. Read through your manual for instructions on how to adjust these settings.

Have fun playing with your receiver. Don't be afraid to try stuff. Learning and tweaking is half the fun of having all that processing power in my opinion!!

D

dagarshali

Enthusiast
hi,
my dvd player doesn't have an optical output, but the receiver in the factory settings came with rca input and optical input for dvd and coaxial input for cd player.however, the dvd player has coaxial output. so, i used the input menu on page 60 of the manual and assigned dvd player for that coaxial input in the receiver. I am not sure what this MDS means and where it is on page 60..

thanks,
vishwa

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If you set the coaxial jack 3 for "DVD" then you should now be getting the discrete digital signal from the DVD player. You might want to disconnect the analog RCA inputs until you make sure the digital is working properly so you know which signal you're hearing. Also make sure the receiver input mode is set to "AUTO".

When you click the DVD button on the remote the receiver display should read "DVD AUTO" like it shows on page 26. If it does try running the AVIA test again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis