Help with choosing surrounds

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I'm looking to upgrade my surround speakers. I have PSB mites now. For L/R I have PSB B1's, the center is a PSB C1. How important is it to match the 'all' the speakers. The PSB dipole is WAY out of my price range. krzywica, has a pair of Mordant Short 506 speakers for sale that I like the looks of, but, how well will they 'match' with my other speakers.

Thanks.
Barry

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The criteria is:

For HT only, match your left, center and right channels. Surrounds don't need to match.

For multichannel audio, all should match.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
In movies, with surround channels becoming more and more involved, I would try to get close timbre match with the surrounds. It does make a difference, but not as critical as multichannel audio.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
What matters most is that the front three speakers match, with the surrounds being less important, both because humans hear better to the front, and because of the sort of sounds that tend to be put in the surround channels. That said, I have identical speakers in all positions (except subwoofers, of course), and I will never go back to having different speakers for any position. "Less important" does not mean "totally unimportant."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis