help with choosing speakers

K

krishnik

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm new here. Found the site after googling Swan M10. I've got a very simple home theater setup in an 11.5'x11.5' room. It's a Bravo D1 DVD player, an InFocus Play Big IN72, and some 12 yr old Sony computer speakers. I don't have a TV. The room was originally a bedroom, but I took the bi-fold doors off of the closet and hung the projector from the top shelf that I reinforced with 2x4s. The DVD and speakers are on a shelf that is at about head level when sitting. I put my sofa directly in front of the closet opening.

I am pleased with my setup since my budget is really low and it feels like a movie house. I like not seeing any of the equipment when I walk in the room and having a blank wall when I'm not watching a movie. I'd eventually like an HD projector, but that's not going to happen any time soon. Unless my bulb goes. But I would like to replace my speakers since the sound is too subdued.

I was thinking of getting the Swan M10s since it's a 2.1 set. Would this be my best option in this price range and for my setup with the speakers just behind my head? I just recently got the Creative T40 II for my laptop which are awesome, and are inspiring me to replace the DVD speakers, but I thought a 2.1 set would be better for movies.

thanks for any suggestions!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I see you are looking for something on the really cheap side, normally you would at this range nothing but garbage... but I happen to know a system which would easily surpass swans m10

Here are bookshelfs:
For only $23.79 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6 1/2 Inches 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Black | Bookshelf Speakers
and the sub:
For only $78.30 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 12 Inch 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer - Light Wood Finish | Subwoofers

You would need to get dolby digital/dts receiver with digital input - these could be found as low as $50 on the craiglist

Which big city do you live in or near?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I am reading online that the Sawn bass unit needs to be placed in between the satellite speakers (and not on the floor like a subwoofer). Not sure if it matters, but worth bringing up.

The only comparable speakers I can think of in the $100-150 price range are the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. Here is a forum discussion comparing the Swan to the Klipsch. I have owned the Klipsch and they will be more than sufficient for the room size. They are very good at lower volumes, but when you start to push it, the subwoofer quickly reveals itself to be the weak link that it is. Then again, I am talking about really pushing the Klipsch, well beyond their intended use.

Honestly, I say ditch the idea of using 2.1 computer speakers for movie and music duty. Instead, save up $500 more (total budget $650) and the possibilities for a more appropriate 2.1 setup open up. For example,

AudioSource AMP-100 for $90
EmpTek E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers for $250
Hsu Research STF-1 Subwoofer for $270

Yes, the aforementioned list blows by your budget and then some. But, the performance will handsomely crush many setups in the price range. Then again, thats what you get when you ask an Audioholic for honest opinion on 2.1 computer speakers being used for movies and music :cool:.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've owned the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and they aren't bad for the money. The sub is a bit boomy but any sub at that price is going to be boomy. I'd start saving for a better system if you can.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Your best bet is probably to save up a little more money, then start with a receiver and bookshelf speakers. Then add the sub when funds allow.

Newegg has the Pioneer SP-BS21 for $50 on sale ending today.

Newegg.com - Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair

Best Buy sells these as well if you want to go take a listen.

Energy Take 5 is a great package (it's 5 speakers) but even on sales at $150 it blows your budget.

They are passive speakers, so you would still need a receiver to power them. Craigslist would probably your best bet to keep prices down.

Refurb Onkyo or Denon from Accessories4less would be another possibility - Home Theater Receivers | Accessories4less

Sherwood also makes some bargain basement priced receivers - Sherwood | JR.com

K

krishnik

Audiophyte
wow! thanks for all the replies so quickly! I'm amazed.
Unfortunately I am still unemployed at this point, so even spending $150 on speakers seems irresponsible. I do understand the nature of this forum and envy you all the ability to provide yourselves with great systems. Maybe one day... I manage to be mostly happy with what I have, but get so much pleasure from my recent Creatives purchase that the comparison in the movie room is starting to irritate me!

I don't live near any big cities. Raleigh would be the closest thing and it's not very close. I usually buy online. I haven't heard of Dayton Audio, but I will look that up, and read the comparison with Klipsch which I know a little bit about - I've got some great earphones from them.

thanks again for your input!

K

krishnik

Audiophyte
well, here's another question. The Swan M10s are self-powered. I was told this means the amp is internal and I don't need a receiver. Is this a bad thing? Is there a big difference if I get a separate receiver? I had originally never considered getting one, but if the advantages are sufficient I might need to rethink. thanks. oh, and how does one shop for a receiver? I know nothing about them...

Last edited:
T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Unfortunately I am still unemployed at this point, so even spending $150 on speakers seems irresponsible.

And it is irresponsible. You have much more important priorities right now than spending limited funds on speakers. I would hold off on buying anything for now and come back to us after you get that first paycheck. We'll find a way to spend that and more on some really good speakers. :)

K

krishnik

Audiophyte
And it is irresponsible. You have much more important priorities right now than spending limited funds on speakers. I would hold off on buying anything for now and come back to us after you get that first paycheck. We'll find a way to spend that and more on some really good speakers. :)
yes, you are right. But it does keep me occupied to do research on things and then be ready when I'm able to afford it. But even with the 1st paycheck, I'll be sticking to a small budget, so the better options won't really be on the table anyway.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
yes, you are right. But it does keep me occupied to do research on things and then be ready when I'm able to afford it. But even with the 1st paycheck, I'll be sticking to a small budget, so the better options won't really be on the table anyway.
That's good thinking about researching and sticking to a budget. I've been unemployed many times and my advice is to not spend a penny on audio until you're employed and have a few paychecks under your belt and a reserve in the bank. It's none of my business but that's my advice.

Once you get back to working and get some money saved you may want to keep an eye open for used gear in your area.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
ok, I know you should be probably saving money, but if the itch becomes too strong, I rather you'd by something decent the first time

I found this receiver in your area - you should be able to haggle him to $50, but even at $75 it's a decent unit (if full operational of-course - which you'd need to make sure - aka to listen to it or walk away)

Pioneer Receiver

K

krishnik

Audiophyte
thanks for all the advice. I'm actually not in dire straits and am being conservative about finances because I think I should be.

So how would you recommend I start learning about receivers? Like I said, I really know nothing about them since I never thought about them, and wouldn't know which ones coming up on the used market would be worth considering. What advantages do they have over the internal amps in the desktop speaker options? I assume I need to match passive speakers to a receiver, is that right? Is there a quick way to know if components are compatible?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Delayed gratification is way underrated. It is worth reiterating, so here goes. This is a hobby/luxury purchase even of you spend only $50. Be prudent. /sermon. On to the fun :).

First I'd suggest these two, Common Misconceptions in Audio Part 1 and Part 2.

Then Google ;).

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis