Help with CD recording

L

Lynn53

Audiophyte
This is my first use of your service. I am not particularly tech savvy, as my question will reveal:

We recently purchased a Sony CD recorder (RCD-W500C/W100). This is a component unit with record and playback decks. The intent was to be able to transfer music from old cassette tapes to CDs, and also to record music from one CD to another.
Our current receiver has input and output jacks for our cassette deck, but only input jacks for playback from the CD deck, no output jacks for recording to the CD deck. Based on the research I have been able to do , it appears that in order to record CDs with input from my receiver I will need a new receiver, specifically one with digital CD output. It appears that this option is only available on the higher end "home theater" receivers, not on standard home stereo receivers. Am I correct in this, or is there a more practical option?
Thanks.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome to Audioholics Lynn53

Please just push the "Help" button to your right, and someone will be with you shortly. :D

Again, Thank You for flying Audioholics.

L

Lynn53

Audiophyte
Not sure that I see a help button, but do need help. Thanks.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Your reciever's tape out can go to your cd recorder's input.

As far as CD to CD, so that you can make compilation CD's, I do all mine on a computer. Rip your CD's to your computer using Exact Audio Copy, and compress them with LAME (--alt preset extreme); or FLAC (if you think you can hear the difference). You can then burn you own CD's, stream them to your reciever, or copy them to a mp3 player.

L

Lynn53

Audiophyte
Thanks, I'll try that. My reading seemed to suggest that the output to the CD recorder needed to be "digital", but apparently not. Some of the recordings we want to make will be from tapes, but I suppose I can keep the tape deck wired hooked to the "tape in" jacks on the receiver and hook the CD record input to the "tape out" jacks?
It still seems surprising to me that this option (CD recording output jacks on a receiver) is not more readily available on reasonably priced new receivers.
Thanks again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis