Help with building 5.1 system

B

beta1963

Enthusiast
$3000 budget.

I have been browsing your forums and I must say I am quite impressed with all the help from the members, so I decided to sign up and ask for help. I know many get sick of all the help questions, so I apologize in advance.

I currently have a Bose Lifestyle V30 system that I want to replace, and I know everyone thinks they suck. I was young (younger anyway) and dumb. I am now getting burnt by the priority style system it is because there aren't enough HDMI ports and the codes are out of date for much of the newer cable boxes, etc. and I can't change out just the receiver. So here is what I am needing for my room:

1) Room is large roughly 25'x25' with vaulted ceiling, but has a large fireplace running up through the center that sort of divides the room in half. The 60" tv is mounted on one side of the fireplace with components in a cabinet at one end (out of site). The wires are run in the mantle to the 2 pairs of front jewel cubes and the center channel. 4 movie seats face system about 10 ft from tv, so it is not a large space on the movie side of room. The two rear pairs are wireless. So I need something with similar smaller speakers that can utilize the smaller footprint of the bose jewel cubes and their wires, and need wireless rears as there is no way to get cable to rears (concrete slab floor and no attic).

2) Movie junkie (streaming, blue ray, and some gaming on xbox one)! All I care about is the tv/movie setup and ease of use in regards to sound ( not worried about listening to music, etc). I want to plug everything into the receiver and use one remote for everything. Things that make it easy are great (auto surround calibration, one remote, etc.) That is originally why I bought the bose and I liked it. I like good sound, but I am not going to measure every frequency.

3) Budget: around $3000. I would prefer a little less, but can push more for just the perfect setup.

So recap: reuse smaller space and wires from bose Jewel cubes; wireless rears, EASE of USE for sytem, System focused on movies/tv/games.

Thanks you so much in advance.

Last edited:
ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RF-82II-Bundle-Denon-AVR-X4000-BIC-Acoustech/dp/B00GDGFUF0

This will be so far and beyond better than your current Bose set up that your head will spin.

I'm not huge on the subs, but they aren't terrible. You could do a lot better, but you'd also be pushing your budget to about the 4k mark. The trouble is your room is big and oddly shaped so you're likely going to want two vented (ported) subs.

I can say that the Denon x4000 is the best deal out there.

The Klipsch Reference II are on steep discount as Klipsch just made an update to their line.

B

beta1963

Enthusiast
Thank you ATLAudio for the quick response! While it looks like a great setup, I need the smaller speakers that I can mount in place of the little bose cubes I mentioned in my description. I also need wireless rear speakers for reasons mentioned above.

Basically I need to reuse the wires and foot prints of my existing bose system. I do like the features on the receiver you mentioned and it looks like something I am after.

B

beta1963

Enthusiast
What about something like the Klipsch Gallery G28 with the Denon X4000? Speakers are small and claim great output, but you all would know better. I can get that combo on sound distributors for $2900.

Although would the G12 or G16 be better than my current bose? If so I could save about $750 - $1500 and get the functions I want and still have better sound.

Not sure if I can get the rear speakers in wireless somehow?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
B

beta1963

Enthusiast
Ok I made a trip to my nearest theater store and got a sweet deal on a setup they were over stocked on:

2 Paradigm Cinema 200 speakers for front speakers

1 Paradigm Cinema 100 3.0 (3 smaller speakers for center and 2 rears)

1 Paradigm PDR W100 Wireless Subwoofer

1 Yamaha RX-A1040BL 7.2-Channel Wi-Fi Network AVENTAGE Home Theater Receiver

Extras: Rockfish wireless rear speaker kit, rear speaker stands, Monster Speaker Wire, banana clips

Walked out for just under $2200 including tax, everything new in box. I couldn't believe it. They are a small mom and pop struggling against best buy and HHgregg, so they didn't want me to walk out. I went any way and both big box stores didn't have anything near this good with my size restrictions.

I hope I made a good choice because the deal was great. While I haven't heard the Klipsch gallery series, they didn't have any and these sounded really nice (better than my current Bose).

Any thoughts, I can still take it all back if I screwed up?

So how do I set this all up ( what settings)? this is my weekend project!

Thanks

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I hope I made a good choice because the deal was great. While I haven't heard the Klipsch gallery series, they didn't have any and these sounded really nice (better than my current Bose).

Any thoughts, I can still take it all back if I screwed up?
All that matters is that you like them

They will be better than Bose - and I prefer Paradigm over Klipsch

However, I would want something bigger for the center speaker.

B

beta1963

Enthusiast
I know, I wanted another cinema 200 for center but it wouldn't fit. My mantle is only 5" deep with only 6" between top of mantle and tv. So I needed something shallow and narrow.

I am open to suggestions, maybe a sound bar of some kind only as a center if that's possible?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am open to suggestions, maybe a sound bar of some kind only as a center if that's possible?
The center should have the same sound character as the other front speakers. That way, if there is a conversation as walking across the front you don't have any strange changes in their voices as the sound transfers from L to Ctr to R.
Try it with what you have. If you notice any issue (the cinema 100 should be close to the 200, however, it won't play as loud without issues - but may be plenty loud enough - you'll just have to try it), just disconnect the 100 and try it without a center. I've never bothered with a center and haven't missed it yet. If neither of these satisfies, you might want to see about raising the TV or mounting to the front of the mantle, or something. I know when I attached teh brackets to the back of my TV, I had several sets of holes I could use to raise or lower the TV - hopefully you have some to allow a 200 to fit! With the existing restrictions on size, you may have a hard time finding a viable option for the center.

PS Those Cinema 200's look pretty nice!

Last edited:
B

beta1963

Enthusiast
Can you put the center speaker directly above the tv? This would put the center speaker about 9' in the air vs. about 5.5' directly under the tv.

If so, I have room for another cinema 200 to match the front two, but didn't know if that was too high off the seating area which is about 10' from tv.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Can you put the center speaker directly above the tv? This would put the center speaker about 9' in the air vs. about 5.5' directly under the tv.

If so, I have room for another cinema 200 to match the front two, but didn't know if that was too high off the seating area which is about 10' from tv.
You can tilt it down - and aim it at the listening position level

B

beta1963

Enthusiast
Ok I adjusted the tv a little and made room for another cinema 200 speaker as a center to match left and right fronts. I am also adding a second P100 sub to the setup, this sub doesn't seem to rumble as well as my previous bose did. However the auto calibration may have it set funky due to I just have the sub and the front two cinema 200's hooked up while waiting on the rest to come in. Those 200 speakers are very clear, though its hard to judge how well it all works together because I am still waiting on the center and two rears to come in.

Will the second sub be better behind the seats or on opposite side of tv in line with first?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Ok I adjusted the tv a little and made room for another cinema 200 speaker as a center to match left and right fronts. I am also adding a second P100 sub to the setup, this sub doesn't seem to rumble as well as my previous bose did. However the auto calibration may have it set funky due to I just have the sub and the front two cinema 200's hooked up while waiting on the rest to come in. Those 200 speakers are very clear, though its hard to judge how well it all works together because I am still waiting on the center and two rears to come in.

Will the second sub be better behind the seats or on opposite side of tv in line with first?

I usually put duals on the wall in front of me, but there are several schools of thought here. I do not put subs behind my LP as I'll always hear it no matter how low the crossover is. I feel like a sub has to be 9 feet away otherwise it's almost always directional, especially at 80 hz.

Google how to do a sub crawl, and do that. That's where the subs should go if you want to be precise.

Also for the price of two of those subs, I'd consider a single nice internet direct model. Power Sound Audio, Reaction Audio, HSU, SVS, Rythmik etc.

B

beta1963

Enthusiast
They are giving me 20% off each sub, so the price is really good. I'm getting the two P100 10" subs (one wired and one wireless) for the price of most of those guys get for their lowest end subs. I understand quality difference and all that, but would only one of these suggested subs create better surround sound (strictly movies/TV and occasional gaming, no real music use) than two of the ones I have considering the savings? The front sub is to the left of TV and about 8-9ft from LP, second sub would either be opposite side of TV or about 2-3 from behind LP diagonal from front sub. I really have no other position options for a sub crawl as you suggested other than if second sub is in rear then it can be anywhere behind seating.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
This begs the question what is the final ticket on the dual sub price? Two subs do have a potential advantage, but the key word is potential. I always suggest spending all of your sub budget on the best single sub you can afford. Then if a year or so later buy a dual, but again the same rule applies, potential advantage.

B

beta1963

Enthusiast
LOL, Thanks ATLAudio and I understand what you are saying, but it is also making me second guess myself now. ( I am getting the 2 subs, 1 wired 1 wireless, for just under $700 including tax which seems to me to be an excellent deal, but I could be wrong). Knowing myself like I do, once this is all done and the excitement of the design and setup is gone, I will never touch it again until there is some major reason to do so.

I am a total movie junkie and just enjoy a pleasant experience, I am not an audiophile measuring levels and so on. If two subs have the potential to smooth out the lower sounds or enhance the "surround" a little then that is what I prefer, but if one better sub will do the same then I would do it as well. The room is hard to deal with being on a concrete slab and no attic, so getting wires to the rear is impossible or I'd be rocking a 9.1 in a heartbeat.

Outside of letting the receiver do its auto calibration I have no clue what I'm doing so I just let it set it and go.

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone , I really do appreciate it!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis