Help with Atmos set up.

M

Midnight

Audiophyte
Good morning

I was hoping I could get some feedback on my future set up. I currently have a 5.1 system. Bower and wilkins LCR and sides. In my residence I have the prewire for two atmos in cieling speaker approximately one foot in front of the listening position. I also have the prewire for two more in ceiling speakers behind the listening position.

My question is would it benificial to do a 7.1.2 set up or 5.1.4. I ask this because due to this room also being my living room its an open layout with eating table and kitchen behind it. I know if i go with a 7.1.2 i will not be able to point the rear speakers towards the listener due to it being an in ceiling speaker. Thank you in advance for any advice.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Good morning

I was hoping I could get some feedback on my future set up. I currently have a 5.1 system. Bower and wilkins LCR and sides. In my residence I have the prewire for two atmos in cieling speaker approximately one foot in front of the listening position. I also have the prewire for two more in ceiling speakers behind the listening position.

My question is would it benificial to do a 7.1.2 set up or 5.1.4. I ask this because due to this room also being my living room its an open layout with eating table and kitchen behind it. I know if i go with a 7.1.2 i will not be able to point the rear speakers towards the listener due to it being an in ceiling speaker. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Welcome. :)

If you cannot properly mount the back two speakers on a wall behind the listening position, I would not place them in the ceiling. Terrible alternative.
Yes, do the 5.1.4 setup if you have the processor to do Atmos. Just make sure that forward and rearward distance for them are correct.

M

Midnight

Audiophyte
That is what I kind of figured but was not 100% sure. I appreciate the advice. I do not have a reciever that can handle Atmos right now but I will be upgrading in the near future (depending on what other AV receivers might be getting released in 2016/2017).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

That is what I kind of figured but was not 100% sure. I appreciate the advice. I do not have a reciever that can handle Atmos right now but I will be upgrading in the near future (depending on what other AV receivers might be getting released in 2016/2017).
In that case, good planning. Do they terminate where the receiver is or will be? What is up there now?
Hope it wasn't prewired for an intercom music system type of setup.

M

Midnight

Audiophyte
They were prewired for regular speakers (im unfimilar with the different connections of an intercom speaker). When the house was getting built i bought a large roll of 14/4 gauge wire from monoprice and had the contractor wire the sides and the four locations on the ceiling and terminate them at my designated location which is where my receiver is now.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

They were prewired for regular speakers (im unfimilar with the different connections of an intercom speaker). When the house was getting built i bought a large roll of 14/4 gauge wire from monoprice and had the contractor wire the sides and the four locations on the ceiling and terminate them at my designated location which is where my receiver is now.
Good. You had it prewires like that. You are on your way to Atmos enjoyment.

M

Midnight

Audiophyte
I am reviving my old thread for some follow up questions if someone could assist. If not aware I currently own a 5.1 system. My question involves the two rear in ceiling speakers for atmos. Due to my set up being in my living room my side speakers are on the wall approximately 6 feet off the ground angled toward listener so no one walks into it. According to the speaker placement laid out by dolby, the two rear atmos speakers would be to close to my sides. My question is woyld i be defeating the purpose of have the extra two atmos speakers?? Thanks in advance.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I am reviving my old thread for some follow up questions if someone could assist. If not aware I currently own a 5.1 system. My question involves the two rear in ceiling speakers for atmos. Due to my set up being in my living room my side speakers are on the wall approximately 6 feet off the ground angled toward listener so no one walks into it. According to the speaker placement laid out by dolby, the two rear atmos speakers would be to close to my sides. My question is woyld i be defeating the purpose of have the extra two atmos speakers?? Thanks in advance.
I don't think it would defeat anything. You get different info in the Atmos speakers and at different times, mostly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis