Help Subwoofer to Hafler DH500 DH110

S

Subs

Audiophyte
Hi guys I have been doing some googling to find a solution but I haven't yet been able to find one. I will start by listing the hardware I have.

Hafler DH500
Hafler DH110
NHT SA1 sub amp
Polk PSW303
Sony SS-NX1
LINN TUKAN WH/1 03-138000

I would just like to know if it is possible to connect the Polk sub to this equipment. If it is possible please explain what cables you recommend I use and where to plug them in =P I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I assume you’re using the DH110’s variable outputs? Just get a pair of RCA splitters; that’ll let you send a signal to the DH500 and the subwoofer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Subs

Audiophyte
Thank you for the advice Mr. Pflughaupt. After a bit more reading I was wondering since this Polk PSW303 is a powered sub, can I plug the L/R speaker out from the DH500 directly to the subwoofer speaker in then the speakers to the subwoofer speaker out? Thanks again.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You know, in all of this, I'm kind of wondering what it is you are trying to achieve with this setup? What are you doing with all this gear you have managed to acquire?

Most people use a surround A/V receiver of some sort, or a decent audio pre-amp when they are going with external amplifiers.

A surround receiver will decode surround sound properly and has a number of room correction capabilities built into it. Not many cheap ones support external amplification.

For a good two channel setup, a stereo receiver or preamp will often handle digital audio inputs nicely and provide multiple source selection and volume control from a remote control.

But, you can go straight from a source of some type (PC?) to a amplifier and then to speakers.

It appears that the Polk PSW303 is powered. That's according to their website...
PSW303 - Subwoofers | Polk Audio®
Easy way to tell for sure?
If your subwoofer has a PLUG ON IT it probably is powered! (or you might be a redneck)

It's listed as a 220 watt amplifier with a 8" driver in there. You aren't going to likely get a lot of room filling bass with a 8" sub, but it will help the low end a bit.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
can I plug the L/R speaker out from the DH500 directly to the subwoofer speaker in then the speakers to the subwoofer speaker out?
That’s certainly an option. However, I believe the speaker-level ins and outs of most subs have a built-in passive crossover, to roll out the bass in the main speakers (someone correct me if I’m wrong). Personally I wouldn’t want that stuff in the signal path if I had speakers as nice as yours...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Subs

Audiophyte
You know, in all of this, I'm kind of wondering what it is you are trying to achieve with this setup? What are you doing with all this gear you have managed to acquire?
I just recently acquired the Polk subwoofer. I would just like to add it to my already set up system just for fun and was not sure how to add it with the dh500 having only one L/R speaker out. I am not using the NHT SA1 sub amp as I listed it there just in-case it would be needed. I should have been more clear on what I wanted. I decided to post my questions here because I believe this forum has very educated people. Thank you for taking the time to answer me BMXTRIX you were very helpful.

I will pick up a pair of RCA splitters tonight and try what you said Mr. Pflughaupt thank you for your time as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis