Help subwoofer problems!

B

Bwils10

Enthusiast
Ok, well I have a sony subwoofer that I bought about a year ago on ebay. Just yesterday I started to have problems with it after using it with a new receiver I bought about a week ago (JVC). When I would play music on the system I would get a very weak signal from the sub. I would have to turn it up completely to get any decent bass response. I just got back to school and had to hook up all of my home theater equipment in my apartment, which may be part of the problem, since I accidentally unplugged the subwoofer cable and then plugged it back in a few times while the system was on but not playing any music. I have also been a bit rough with the cable (tugging on it and such). My old receiver I know works fine with the sub so I decided to test the sub with the old receiver to try and diagnose what the problem was. I found that the sub worked when I used the old receiver and a random rca cable instead of the sub cable. But it would have the same symptoms (very weak signal) when I used the old receiver and the present subwoofer cable. The sub also had these symptoms when I tried the new receiver with a different cable...
So basically I have come to the conclusion that its either the receiver or the sub cable and I was hoping someone could shed some light on the situation and provide some insight as to what could be happening. I tried to open up the receiver but JVC has put a very unique screw on the back which seems to be their way of only allowing their techs to service the equipment. What a bummer... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

J

JOD

Junior Audioholic
Did you check the LFE(low frequency effects) settings? Maybe the sub is not reciving enough signal from the reciver, try going into the setup and find the subwoofer or LFE setting and try cranking them up.

B

Bwils10

Enthusiast
I just checked the sub level on the receiver and its at the factory setting which was working fine when I first got the receiver. I tried turning it up and the same issue persists. The problem just randomly started a day ago. The sub was working fine with the new receiver before that.

J

JOD

Junior Audioholic
hmm, well im out of ideas. Did you try contacting the reciver manufactuer? See what they say. If you still dont get help there try the sub manufactuer. Or maybe someone else here can figure something out.

B

Bwils10

Enthusiast
hey thanks for your replies JOD. I'm in the middle of trying out the different sound settings and I think it has to deal with the setup. Hopefully I can resolve the issue cheaply. Thanks again.

J

JOD

Junior Audioholic
If the reciver is still under warranty then the worst case, you sent it to get fixed.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok, well I have a sony subwoofer that I bought about a year ago on ebay. Just yesterday I started to have problems with it after using it with a new receiver I bought about a week ago (JVC). When I would play music on the system I would get a very weak signal from the sub. I would have to turn it up completely to get any decent bass response. I just got back to school and had to hook up all of my home theater equipment in my apartment, which may be part of the problem, since I accidentally unplugged the subwoofer cable and then plugged it back in a few times while the system was on but not playing any music. I have also been a bit rough with the cable (tugging on it and such). My old receiver I know works fine with the sub so I decided to test the sub with the old receiver to try and diagnose what the problem was. I found that the sub worked when I used the old receiver and a random rca cable instead of the sub cable. But it would have the same symptoms (very weak signal) when I used the old receiver and the present subwoofer cable. The sub also had these symptoms when I tried the new receiver with a different cable...
So basically I have come to the conclusion that its either the receiver or the sub cable and I was hoping someone could shed some light on the situation and provide some insight as to what could be happening. I tried to open up the receiver but JVC has put a very unique screw on the back which seems to be their way of only allowing their techs to service the equipment. What a bummer... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Is the problem happening with 2 ch music playback or with Dolby Digital DVds as well?

Some receivers need to be told to use the LFE when in 2ch stereo operation. Unfortunately setup varies with makes and at times with models too in makes.:eek:

B

Bwils10

Enthusiast
Well I was able to solve the problem by going through the settings for the dolby surround and setting the receiver to 5.1. For some reason it had set itself randomly to 7.0 surround which completely cut off my subwoofer. I had to go through about 5 different menus on the little screen but eventually it got taken care of thankfully. And the main problem seemed to be when I was using a digital input and a dolby surround mode. So everything seems to be good now, hopefully the settings don't get changed back. I think the issue was when I unplugged the receiver the settings reset themselves and therefore went to 7.0.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis