HELP! Sound cutting out! Onkyo TX-SR803

M

mrturbo

Audiophyte
Please help! I have tried everything I can think of and don't know what else to do. I have an Onkyo TX-SR803 Receiver, Infinity Beta speakers (2 Beta 50 Front, Beta C250 Center, 4 OWS-1 Surround), and a Velodyne DPS-12 sub. I have Monster Cable 12 gauge running to all speakers. I also have an OPPO DVD player hooked to the receiver via coax, and a Comcast Motorola HD receiver connected via fiber. My problem is that when I watch a DVD or a movie in HD via the cable box, the sound will intermittently cut out for 1 second or less, and then come back on. While watching one movie, it might cut out once or twice, while on the next movie it will cut out every 3-4 seconds. This problem NEVER occurs while listening to CDs or while watching regular TV. I have replaced the receiver twice now, replaced the DVD player, disconnected the surrounds, and even disconnected the sub to no avail. I have spent a total of $8,000 on my home theater equipment, and I can’t seem to get it to work correctly. I have a similar setup (but on a much smaller scale) hooked up in a different room, and it works great (of course it’s the cheap stuff that always works). I am totally lost now and don’t know where to go from here! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Here are some things to check:

- The cable box is configured correctly to output Dolby Digital.

- The digital audio assignment on the receiver is correct; ie if you connected the cable box to the receiver's video1 input and the optical cable to optical 1 make sure optical 1 is assigned to video1. You do that by selecting video1 and then pressing the digital input button until it reads 'opt 1'. Make sure no other input is assigned to optical 1.

- Make sure the digital audio is set to 'auto'. You do that pressing and holding the digital input button.

If none of that helps or is already configured correctly, check the dvd player and cable box settings. Make sure the dvd player is set to output bitstream and the cable box is configued to output dolby digital. It kinda sounds like the format of the signal is changing and the receiver is taking a second to re-identify the type so it can select the proper decoder.

M

mrturbo

Audiophyte
Problem fixed!

I Feel kind of stupid writing this, but I got the problem fixed. It turned out the problem was my 4 ft. $65 Moster Cable coax cable that ran from the DVD to the receiver. The funny thing is I switched this out with another cable a while back and experienced the same problem. If guess that cable was bad too, because I plugged another one in last night, and no more cutting out!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis