Help..... Receiver keeps turning off!

D

dinkeye

Audioholic Intern
I have just moved into my new home and spent hours getting everything set up. I have run 12 gauge wire behind the dry wall and set up the wall plates last night.
Everything seems to work OK, however, when I turn up the volume to a minimal level, the receiver turns off!!
When I turn the receiver back on, it says "Check Speaker wire".
So my first thought was I crossed the positive and negative somewhere. I double checked and it seems fine. My other thoughts are that perhaps the spekaer impedence is set 4 ohms, but I had it set up at 8 ohms originally. Maybe when I moved and unplugged the unit, it may have reset the speaker impedence. (I need to check this after work)
What else could cause this problem??
The receiver is a Yamaha RXV2500 and speakers are Energy C3 and CC1, Velodyne DPS12 sub.
HELP!!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What do you mean "reset" speaker impedance?

RECHECK the wires AGAIN. Are you using banana plugs or any kind of connectors? If not, disconnect and reconnect each wire at the receiver making sure there are no stray wires.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
This sounds like an impedance issue or a short. Check your speaker wire to make sure it isn't grounding out and them verify that your amp is set for 8 ohms and that the speakers are 8 ohms.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If you have extra speaker wire, try using it to power your speakers and unhook the wire from the wall. See if the receiver shuts off. If it doesn't, the wire in the wall is shorting somehow. There could be a nail through a cable, or somehow/somewhere the +/- are touching. Also check the back of the speaker terminals and AVR. Make sure no strands are touching another speaker terminal. You'll blow a channel if you continue to run it this way, so be cautious.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Just unplug all of the wires from the receiver and ring them out with an ohm meter. You have a short somewhere. If the reading is less than 2ohms on the meter its a short.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis