HELP, Onkyo reciever problem

J

Jetblack3

Audioholic Intern
Just picked up a used Onkyo receiver TX-SR805 that was to be replacing my old Yamaha. Hooked it all up tonight and cannot get the Subwoofer to work. Its a powered definitive sub and it works fine on the Yamaha but I get nothing on the Onkyo. On back of sub there are RCA inputs and 8 gold crankdown connectors. The gold connectors are not used at all but when I was troubleshooting I noticed that when I touch any of the positive connectors with my hands I get a light hummm from the sub but no beat. Wondering if I got a junk reciever, Is this a sign of the recievers Sub pre out being shorted or burned out

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
can you post some pics of the back of both sub and onkyo conections?

J

Jetblack3

Audioholic Intern
Do you have the line hooked to the purple pre-out, under the center channel plug on the receiver?
Also, in the receiver menu - did you answer yes for the subwoofer?

If you need the manual - you can get it from Crutchfield online
Onkyo TX-SR805 (Black) THX® Ultra2 home theater receiver with HDMI switching and conversion at Crutchfield.com
Yes, I am plugged into the purple sub pre out. I read through the manual tonight and found the part about connecting a powered sub and it just showed where to put the rca plugs which I have correct. I also read about the display on the front showing which speakers are active hooked up/ it shows the 2 fronts but no sub. I also surfed through what I think is all the menus and can find no mention of a subwoofer of any kind. No "yes" no "on" no adjustment. I fiddled with rca plug on receiver and when the center electrode gets touched to the outside of the jack I get the same hummm as I get when I touch the positive terminal blocks with my fingers ?? weird. Feel like the subs "active" could be there somewhere I just haven't found it yet.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I am plugged into the purple sub pre out. I read through the manual tonight and found the part about connecting a powered sub and it just showed where to put the rca plugs which I have correct. I also read about the display on the front showing which speakers are active hooked up/ it shows the 2 fronts but no sub. I also surfed through what I think is all the menus and can find no mention of a subwoofer of any kind. No "yes" no "on" no adjustment. I fiddled with rca plug on receiver and when the center electrode gets touched to the outside of the jack I get the same hummm as I get when I touch the positive terminal blocks with my fingers ?? weird. Feel like the subs "active" could be there somewhere I just haven't found it yet.
Go to page 86 of the manual - and look at the set-up options

You set the speakers and the sub - and also set the crossover frequency of the speakers/subwoofer.

J

Jetblack3

Audioholic Intern
Go to page 86 of the manual - and look at the set-up options

You set the speakers and the sub - and also set the crossover frequency of the speakers/subwoofer.
Found it it's working now. Thanks a ton. Now got one last wrinkle to figure out. On my Yamaha I had an A and B speakers switch that I could use to turn off a set. Does the Onkyo have a similar option. Would like to shut off the big Vegas at times when not working in big room.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Found it it's working now. Thanks a ton. Now got one last wrinkle to figure out. On my Yamaha I had an A and B speakers switch that I could use to turn off a set. Does the Onkyo have a similar option. Would like to shut off the big Vegas at times when not working in big room.
How are the 2 sets of speakers hooked-up to your Onkyo?

J

Jetblack3

Audioholic Intern
so I

How are the 2 sets of speakers hooked-up to your Onkyo?
Had'em both going to the fronts where on the Yamaha this was ok cause I could activate the A or B switch and control them. Not quite as easy on the Onkyo but after reading deeper into the advance set-up directions I found it. Re routed a set of wires to the Zone 2 and figured out how to select and turn on, had sound for a bit I could switch back and forth and all was good. Was swapping back and forth adjusting bass/treble and realized that I needed to swap wires so that the game room was on the front channels due to subwoofer control in game room and the vegas were on zone 2. Done this and fired back up and sound in game room was dropping out on right channel and really muddled in the left, then just quit and lost sound to all channels (Polks and Vegas) but sub was still bumping. The Sherbourn (running Polks) went into protect mode and was flashing red. Shut all down and reset but still had nothing. Found a bad cable going to the Sherbourn so replaced it and it was back up nice and clear. Thought I was finally done so I untangled all the wires and neatly tied'em back so I could slide everything back in place. Now I have no sound to the vegas from zone 2. For this hookup the wires are ran to the binding posts because they are not amped. If I turn volume to max I can BARELY hear sound coming from speakers at all. If I swap wires to front channel they rock. I can unplug rca's from polks on front pre outs and plug them into zone 2 pre out and get good sound from polks. Have been through all the menus again and zone 2 is selected, all is right. Just can't seem to get a signal from the zone 2 bind posts but do have it from zone 2 pre-outs ? will put some more time in it tomorrow. I did unplug receiver when organizing wires and thought maybe it went back to defaults but all seems in check.
Will

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
With zone 2 - only hook up the zone 2 speaker post. Do not run (hook-up) zone 2 speaker wire and zone 2 pre-outs at the same time.
Also, powered zone 2 needs to be activated in the menu - just like the subwoofer had to be. Need to turn powered zone 2 on - look
under speaker set-up.

Last edited:
J

Jetblack3

Audioholic Intern
With zone 2 - only hook up the zone 2 speaker post. Do not run (hook-up) zone 2 speaker wire and zone 2 pre-outs at the same time.
Also, powered zone 2 needs to be activated in the menu - just like the subwoofer had to be. Need to turn powered zone 2 on - look
under speaker set-up.
Will look into again. I had it all working once so I have some confidence that it will work again. Have been over the speaker set up and menus many times now but must be overlooking something ?

Not running zone 2 pre-outs and wires to biding post at same time. I just unhooked rca cables that are running my polks from front pre outs and plugged into zone 2 pre outs to see if they output sound and they did so Zone 2 power "is" activated. Makes no sense then why there is no sound output on Zone 2 binding posts.

I just got to mess with it some more I know I'm close, but I'm certainly all ears for any tips / You've been a huge help thus far.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Will look into again. I had it all working once so I have some confidence that it will work again. Have been over the speaker set up and menus many times now but must be overlooking something ?

Not running zone 2 pre-outs and wires to biding post at same time. I just unhooked rca cables that are running my polks from front pre outs and plugged into zone 2 pre outs to see if they output sound and they did so Zone 2 power "is" activated. Makes no sense then why there is no sound output on Zone 2 binding posts.
Go to page 103 in the manual

Double check and make sure that you have activated zone 2 (powered) for the speaker cable hook-up.

J

Jetblack3

Audioholic Intern
Finally got it all going. Waved the white flag and put a call in to tech support at Onkyo USA. Rep was very helpful and after explaining what I wanted and what I was getting he knew exactly what to do. Had to adjust audio level in zone 2, kind of tricky. Only displays adjustment level from push buttons on receiver and not remote. Was actually trying to adjust that from menus with remote but nothing could be seen on display so figured that wasn't working. Once tech walked me through how to do it from receiver it came right to life. Now that I have it running its time to fine tune tone control and just get more overall experience with it.

Thanks for hanging in there. Hopefully can say this case is closed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis