M

Matt McG

Audiophyte
I have a Direct TV cable box with RCA outs. I need to connect it to a TOA M2 9000 amp which only has speaker wire input modules. What is the best way for me to make this connection. The amp is about 50 ft away from the cable box. I only need to run the sound to the amp. Can I use a RCA to speaker wire adapter?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You need a preamp or receiver, and since you have an amp, a preamp would be more appropriate. You cannot go directly from line level (RCA) to speaker level and have it work correctly. Yes there are converters but you will then have no control over the signal.

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

The TOA does not have “speaker wire” inputs, because there is no such thing as a component that sends speaker outputs to the input of another component.

I assume you mean the inputs are screw terminals, as that’s not uncommon for TOA’s input modules. However, they are line- or mic-level inputs, just like the RCA jacks on home theater gear.

Basically, you’re supposed to cut the connector off the cable, strip back the insulation, and crimp spade lugs to the shield and center conductor. The spade lugs are then inserted under the screw terminals.

If that seems ridiculous, it’s because the TOA is designed and manufactured for commercial-installations. Commercial installers don’t use off-the-shelf cabling. They do all cabling and terminations on-site from scratch with rolls of bulk wire.

RCA speaker cables could be used, but they are not shielded so you may end up with noise, especially for a 50-ft. run.

Alternately, you could replace the modules you have. AFAIK TOA does offer modules with RCA inputs.

Otherwise, make sure the modules you do have are for line inputs and not mic inputs.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis