Help Needed - upgrading aged/dead projector

R

Rev7

Audiophyte
Need help in replacing my old and now dead (Hitachi PJTX100) projector. I've been reading threads here and at a couple different projector review sites. I'm looking for a 1080p projector that is capable of throwing a 92" image (Onyx screen still mounted to wall) from a short distance.

Where the previous projector (Hitachi PJTX100) was mounted there is roughly only 102 inches from the lens to the screen on the wall. Room limitation (dry wall covered duct work) pretty much has us stuck using the same mounting location (plus cables are already installed).

I would hate to have to waste the money that has been invested in the screen/cables and would sicken me even more to have to purchase a smaller screen for the projector. If I had to go with a smaller screen than 92" it's almost worth scrapping the projector all together and going with a led/lcd tv.

I am aware that each projector is different in depth so to help out: from the screen to where the back of the projector hits the duct work is 115" which allows for the cables to plug in.

Thank you in advance for any/all help.

Another option I've been tossing around and have yet to have any luck finding is some sort of drop and slide back projector mount. In essence from where my projector mount is now if I could drop the projector down 3 - 5 inches and then have it slide towards the back of the room it would put the lens of the projector at 115 inches. This would clear the duct work and allow for it to be slid forward and pushed up and out of the way when not in use. At 115 inches back there should be a ton of projectors to choose from in the $1000 - $3000 range that can produce a 92" image.

Anyone help in either case would be much appreciated.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Need help in replacing my old and now dead (Hitachi PJTX100) projector. I've been reading threads here and at a couple different projector review sites. I'm looking for a 1080p projector that is capable of throwing a 92" image (Onyx screen still mounted to wall) from a short distance.

Where the previous projector (Hitachi PJTX100) was mounted there is roughly only 102 inches from the lens to the screen on the wall. Room limitation (dry wall covered duct work) pretty much has us stuck using the same mounting location (plus cables are already installed).

I would hate to have to waste the money that has been invested in the screen/cables and would sicken me even more to have to purchase a smaller screen for the projector. If I had to go with a smaller screen than 92" it's almost worth scrapping the projector all together and going with a led/lcd tv.

I am aware that each projector is different in depth so to help out: from the screen to where the back of the projector hits the duct work is 115" which allows for the cables to plug in.

Thank you in advance for any/all help.

Another option I've been tossing around and have yet to have any luck finding is some sort of drop and slide back projector mount. In essence from where my projector mount is now if I could drop the projector down 3 - 5 inches and then have it slide towards the back of the room it would put the lens of the projector at 115 inches. This would clear the duct work and allow for it to be slid forward and pushed up and out of the way when not in use. At 115 inches back there should be a ton of projectors to choose from in the $1000 - $3000 range that can produce a 92" image.

Anyone help in either case would be much appreciated.
I just went to Best Buy and picked up an Epson 8350 hooked it up the same day and the setup was a synch. I love that thing. Definitely take a look at it.

R

Rev7

Audiophyte
I just went to Best Buy and picked up an Epson 8350 hooked it up the same day and the setup was a synch. I love that thing. Definitely take a look at it.
Your the second person this week that told me they love it. I can't believe how much you can get for your money these days. The $3000+ I spent years ago on the Hitachi can be outdone for as little as $1000 now.

From what I've read online I do not have the throw distance with my current set-up.

The Epson 8350 is 15.5" deep + 1.5" to plug in cables = 17".
115" - 17" = 98" from projector lens to screen.

The Calculator tells me that I need at least 108" of throw to make a 92" image and use my existing $1500 screen.

98" of throw only gets me a 84" screen which means I'll have a ton of white space around the image.

I'm not having any luck finding a 1080 projector with such a short throw. Any other options I willing to entertain options up to $2600.

Also If there is a mount out there like I was kicking around the idea at the end of my first post that would give me 115" to the screen from the lens and the image would fill the 92" screen on the wall with ease. Then that Epson you and others have mentioned would work easily.

Keep the ideas and help coming please, I appreciate it.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Even lifts that don't slide back seem to be ridiculously expensive.

I took a gander at the JVC HD250, the best PJ available at your budget, and I don't think it can do what you're asking either at 19" depth.

Sorry. It is LCD/LCOS that have the most flexible positioning.

What's wrong with having the PJ permanently below/behind?

This is the only thing that I can see that can work in this situation.

That said, if you scrap the PJ, I wouldn't go LED, but instead with a 65" plasma.

R

Rev7

Audiophyte
Even lifts that don't slide back seem to be ridiculously expensive.
Oh yes they are rather expensive from what I've found online - yikes!
I was thinking more about the multi-position extension arms that I could click up or down. Part of me wishes I was a little bit more inclined in metal working because it just blows me away that no one makes sliding rails for a projector mount.

I took a gander at the JVC HD250, the best PJ available at your budget, and I don't think it can do what you're asking either at 19" depth.
The reviews/comments are pretty high on that projector. Must say I have not really heard about it before. If my math on this projector is correct I need 109" lens to screen for a 92" image. The projector is roughly 19" give an 1.5" for cable connection and 129.5" and you are correct that will not work either.

What's wrong with having the PJ permanently below/behind?
The room already has a low ceiling height of 85.5" and that drops down to 76.5" at the bottom of the dry walled covered duct work/support beam. There is no way to mount underneath the soffet since it is really just dry walled covered duct work. To move it to the other side would require massive tear down/build out (electrical, a/v cables, drywall, etc). On top of that it would be an eye soar. In it's current location it is up and out of the way (well it would be if something fit back up there).

I've come to the realization that I would be fine having it below all the time but I can't come up with a mount that will work. I was looking at the angled ceiling mounts online and wondering if I could invert it so an extension arm could be angled from my ceiling backwards and down to under the soffet, locked into place and the mounting plate/projector could be installed there. That would put any projector back 115" lens to screen. Anyone think that will work?

That said, if you scrap the PJ, I wouldn't go LED, but instead with a 65" plasma.
If all else fails and I'm not giving up hope just yet...please tell me why you would go plasma over lcd/led. I'm asking since that is a whole new realm that I'm going to have to investigate.

Thank you for your time/help. I appreciate it.

A

arkight

Junior Audioholic
you could use an Epson 8700UB/8350 if you can squeeze out your throw to 9' instead of 8'6"

JVC-250 about 9'6" for 94" screen aint looking good

LG-CF181D 9'2"

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The reviews/comments are pretty high on that projector.
JVC (3LCOS) will give you better reliability, with virtually no worry of dust blobs that plague 3LCD PJs which do not use sealed light paths. That said, even if many more Epsons are returned for service (read: free replacement), well their warranty/CS seems to super fantastic.

JVC will also get you the highest fill ratio you can obtain (short of Bill Gates budget 4K PJs, perhaps). 3LCD will get you the lowest. Therefore, you will have much reduced chance of suffering moire with something like an AT weave.

Still, outside of reliability, the Epson probably still nudges the JVC for value, but JVCs have come down SO much in price, that this threshold is really blurry to me now.
The room already has a low ceiling height of 85.5" and that drops down to 76.5" at the bottom of the dry walled covered duct work/support beam. There is no way to mount underneath the soffet since it is really just dry walled covered duct work. To move it to the other side would require massive tear down/build out (electrical, a/v cables, drywall, etc). On top of that it would be an eye soar. In it's current location it is up and out of the way (well it would be if something fit back up there).

I've come to the realization that I would be fine having it below all the time but I can't come up with a mount that will work. I was looking at the angled ceiling mounts online and wondering if I could invert it so an extension arm could be angled from my ceiling backwards and down to under the soffet, locked into place and the mounting plate/projector could be installed there. That would put any projector back 115" lens to screen. Anyone think that will work?
At this point, I would tell you to post two more times so that you can start posting photos and diagrams. I would also possibly advise double posting in the DIY forum. While it's mostly speakers/subs, they are the handiest folk, so you may get some cool innovative ideas. On my part, I did start a DIY false wall and screen frame thread in the General AV forum.

If all else fails and I'm not giving up hope just yet...please tell me why you would go plasma over lcd/led. I'm asking since that is a whole new realm that I'm going to have to investigate.

Thank you for your time/help. I appreciate it.
IMO, for many years now, undeniably better PQ for the same money. The only real reason to go with LCD (and even this is not straightforward as it depends on the models in question), is for terrible light control.

But since this is a room for a projector, I cannot assume terrible light control.

Plasma will have better blacks, contrast, motion resolution, and cost less while doing so. The simplicity is that the +2000000 pixels are each individually excited by an electrical current. That's it.

Even if you splurge for a "locally dimming LED backlit LCD", what do they have, like 16 "zones"? Going by this description, you could say a plasma has +2000000 zones. BTW, did I mention plasmas cost less?

Off axis viewing is hugely in favor of plasma.

Plasmas will eat more energy, but the cost differential over many years may still not match the cost differential between flagship displays of equal size, but then again been a while since I shop for friends; I've never owned a flat panel.

OK, there is yet another reason to go with LCD, and that is if you demand a smaller TV than 42".

R

Rev7

Audiophyte
you could use an Epson 8700UB/8350 if you can squeeze out your throw to 9' instead of 8'6"

JVC-250 about 9'6" for 94" screen aint looking good

LG-CF181D 9'2"
115" across the board will work if I can come up with a mount that will get the projector back some. Thanks for the input.

R

Rev7

Audiophyte
JVC (3LCOS) will give you better reliability, with virtually no worry of dust blobs that plague 3LCD PJs which do not use sealed light paths. That said, even if many more Epsons are returned for service (read: free replacement), well their warranty/CS seems to super fantastic.

JVC will also get you the highest fill ratio you can obtain (short of Bill Gates budget 4K PJs, perhaps). 3LCD will get you the lowest. Therefore, you will have much reduced chance of suffering moire with something like an AT weave.

Still, outside of reliability, the Epson probably still nudges the JVC for value, but JVCs have come down SO much in price, that this threshold is really blurry to me now.

At this point, I would tell you to post two more times so that you can start posting photos and diagrams. I would also possibly advise double posting in the DIY forum. While it's mostly speakers/subs, they are the handiest folk, so you may get some cool innovative ideas. On my part, I did start a DIY false wall and screen frame thread in the General AV forum.

IMO, for many years now, undeniably better PQ for the same money. The only real reason to go with LCD (and even this is not straightforward as it depends on the models in question), is for terrible light control.

But since this is a room for a projector, I cannot assume terrible light control.

Plasma will have better blacks, contrast, motion resolution, and cost less while doing so. The simplicity is that the +2000000 pixels are each individually excited by an electrical current. That's it.

Even if you splurge for a "locally dimming LED backlit LCD", what do they have, like 16 "zones"? Going by this description, you could say a plasma has +2000000 zones. BTW, did I mention plasmas cost less?

Off axis viewing is hugely in favor of plasma.

Plasmas will eat more energy, but the cost differential over many years may still not match the cost differential between flagship displays of equal size, but then again been a while since I shop for friends; I've never owned a flat panel.

OK, there is yet another reason to go with LCD, and that is if you demand a smaller TV than 42".

Alright where to begin?

First off thanks for the tip about getting my post count up so I can post pictures/diagrams. I will work on taking some shots this evening and see if I can get them uploaded as well.

Next - That Hitachi that I had one of the panels go bad and also had some "dust blobs" so that does worry me about going with a projector again. At the same time and the photos later will show the 52" Sony LCD just sucks with the tease of the 92" Onyx screen on the wall behind it still. I so need to figure this out so we can get a PJ back up in this room.

The rooms lighting is definitely not an issue. Enclosed room with darker walls and beige/desert ceiling with a beige carpeted floor. Recessed lighting is all wall/ir controlled. Brightest thing in the room besides the PJ is the corner fireplace.The only time it would be an issue is sometimes the wife likes to watch "tv shows" while the kids play in the room with the lights on. During which the image does not have to be the best to appease her.

I did leave excess cable in the ceiling so I could take the PJ down for service/bulb replacement which will allow for the new PJ to be mounted further back. Guess I should fish one or two HDMI cables if I get this mounting issue solved. I'll try getting a new post in the DIY thread when I get some photos and update this posting tonight/tomorrow.

Wow thanks for all the good tips about Plasma TVs. I hope I don't have to check into them but if I do I will be looking into them before purchasing a new TV. Still holding out that I will figure out mounting a new PJ with all the expert advice here!

Thanks again everyone and please keep the help rolling in!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis