Help needed to connect subwoofer

S

sentinel

Audiophyte
I had received a very old AV receiver (NEC AV-300PROX) with 2 Monitor bookshelf speakers. I am trying to get a subwoofer so I tried using a Creative one first, before going out to buy. I connect the AV receiver front PRE-OUT to the subwoofer inputs as there is no subwoofer output. However, when I do that, the sound to the front speakers is cut off. Does that means I need to move my front speakers to the subwoofer's speakers' outputs? Or I wired the connections wrongly? Thanks.

B

brendy

Audioholic
The best way is get a sub with speaker level in's and out's.Front L and R go to the speaker level in's and your Monitor's are connected to the speaker level out's.Do not use both the line level & speaker level inputs.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You also need to feed that pre out signal back to the main amp inputs as well as the sub. Get hold of some "Y" connectors for this. These are neither expensive nor rare.

S

sentinel

Audiophyte
markw said:
You also need to feed that pre out signal back to the main amp inputs as well as the sub. Get hold of some "Y" connectors for this. These are neither expensive nor rare.
Ok, does that mean my FR and FL speakers can remain on the AV receiver? Thanks!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I would hope so.

sentinel said:
Ok, does that mean my FR and FL speakers can remain on the AV receiver? Thanks!
Where do you have them connected now? Remember, a powered sub only supplies power to the subwoofer, not the mains. They have to be connected to a power amp somewhere and the existing internal amp in the receiver is the most likely candidate.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis