Help me understand the usefulness of peak power ratings.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
It is principally the speakers using this diaphragm.

One clue is that "every man and his boy" is selling them.
Crites Speakers, the most reputable source of aftermarket Klipsch parts, doesn't carry any of those duds. I sincerely hope your comment was not aimed at Bob and his son.

The OEM manufacturer (Eminence?) stopped making the K-79 drivers/diaphragms long ago. They were the compression tweeters in the Cornwall II, and probably a few other models. Lo and behold, there is actually a demand for such things, and voila, a slew of alternative K-79 diaphragms appeared on the market. None of those passed muster as a legitimate replacements.

/end digression

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I had dug up (in response to your comment) you specifically stating the reference lines were junk, those appear to be used in the heritage series. All of the reference lines (series II and above) use tweeters that look nothing like that. They all use titanium domes coupled to a phase plug.

I'm well aware of the size limitations, but size is no issue for me, only money :D I do intend to start diying my own systems at some point (time is an issue at the moment), as I'm not happy with the limitations found in "cute" skinny speakers. I have no problem putting something the size of a refrigerator in my living room if it sounds good.

Outside of horn loading, how could one increase power handling/efficiency from 600-1.5khz? Surely multiple drivers would introduce comb filtering problems since the center to center spacing would need to be well under 7 inches (hence why cabinets using more than two woofers are often 2.5way).

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I had dug up (in response to your comment) you specifically stating the reference lines were junk, those appear to be used in the heritage series. All of the reference lines (series II and above) use tweeters that look nothing like that. They all use titanium domes coupled to a phase plug.

I'm well aware of the size limitations, but size is no issue for me, only money :D I do intend to start diying my own systems at some point (time is an issue at the moment), as I'm not happy with the limitations found in "cute" skinny speakers. I have no problem putting something the size of a refrigerator in my living room if it sounds good.

Outside of horn loading, how could one increase power handling/efficiency from 600-1.5khz? Surely multiple drivers would introduce comb filtering problems since the center to center spacing would need to be well under 7 inches (hence why cabinets using more than two woofers are often 2.5way).

Well the system looks complicated but it isn't. The concept is simple.

So there are two 7" drivers in MTM configuration with a 2.5 KHz crossover to the tweeter.

There are 3 power amps driving each speaker. One amp drives this MTM array.

The upper 10" driver carries the sound below 60 Hz and mixed in with a buffer amp is the BSC for the MTM drivers. This substantially offloads the 7" drivers. One amp drives this speaker. The active crossover also cuts off input to the driver well away from cone breakup. Since this BSC is active it can be optimized for room position.

The lower driver is fed just the signal below 60 Hz.

The low pass crossover between the MTM drivers and the 10" drivers is 100% acoustic. The lines are tuned one half octave apart. The drivers are spaced so that comb filtering is not an issue.

There is a slight peak at the acoustic line transition but these are in room measurements.

Dispersion is good.

Black line is at 90 degrees off axis.

The center TL which also has active BSC matches the left and right well even though it uses coaxial drivers. This speaker was much harder to get right then the mains.

The top end roll off above 15 K is an artifact of omni mic.

Since this is about blowing up speakers, I have to own up to burning out the lower coaxial tweeter crossing over at 2.9 KHz third order elecrtical.

Again BSC is active. The top tweeter is used to fill in a hole centered at 9 KHz which is a problem with these SEAS coaxial drivers. The F3 of this center line is almost exactly the same as the MTM line in the mains.

That was a 2006 picture.

The center unfortunately had to be raised a little to allow for a bigger screen.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Well the system looks complicated but it isn't. The concept is simple.

So there are two 7" drivers in MTM configuration with a 2.5 KHz crossover to the tweeter.

There are 3 power amps driving each speaker. One amp drives this MTM array.

The upper 10" driver carries the sound below 60 Hz and mixed in with a buffer amp is the BSC for the MTM drivers. This substantially offloads the 7" drivers. One amp drives this speaker. The active crossover also cuts off input to the driver well away from cone breakup. Since this BSC is active it can be optimized for room position.

The lower driver is fed just the signal below 60 Hz.

The low pass crossover between the MTM drivers and the 10" drivers is 100% acoustic. The lines are tuned one half octave apart. The drivers are spaced so that comb filtering is not an issue.

There is a slight peak at the acoustic line transition but these are in room measurements.

Dispersion is good.

Black line is at 90 degrees off axis.

The center TL which also has active BSC matches the left and right well even though it uses coaxial drivers. This speaker was much harder to get right then the mains.

The top end roll off above 15 K is an artifact of omni mic.

Since this is about blowing up speakers, I have to own up to burning out the lower coaxial tweeter crossing over at 2.9 KHz third order elecrtical.

Again BSC is active. The top tweeter is used to fill in a hole centered at 9 KHz which is a problem with these SEAS coaxial drivers. The F3 of this center line is almost exactly the same as the MTM line in the mains.

That was a 2006 picture.

The center unfortunately had to be raised a little to allow for a bigger screen.

What's your opinion on the tritrix TL design?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What's your opinion on the tritrix TL design?

I don't know a lot about it. I have not modeled those drivers for a TL.

However at first glance it seems likely a waste of time to consume that much space for drivers with an Fs over 50 Hz.

Also the line is short after the turn and I would worry about mid output radiation.

If I were to use those drivers for a TL situation it would likely be as a small labyrinth.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Going back to the original subject, I should have referred the OP to this series of Audioholics articles: Loudspeakers and Power Ratings, parts 1, 2, and 3. You won't find better writing about the subject outside of jargon-heavy AES papers.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Going back to the original subject, I should have referred the OP to this series of Audioholics articles: Loudspeakers and Power Ratings, parts 1, 2, and 3. You won't find better writing about the subject outside of jargon-heavy AES papers.
I'll also read the AES jargon :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis