Help me rebuild! USB DAC AVR + speaker Options???

M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
I sold all my AV equipment when i moved to Shanghai. Now that I'm back stateside, i'm looking to rebuild my home entertainment system. I'm open to suggestions as my goal is to build an HTPC system. My main source of music and movies are now on my computer or network attached storage (NAS).

I was researching the Pioneer Elite SC-79 for the USB 32-Bit Asynchronous Audio DAC. I was initially considering integrated amps with the USB DAC ports (Bel Canto s300iu for example) and build around that. Now that i've found an AVR that may support what i'm looking for, I was hoping some of you guys could make some recommendations for AVR receivers that have USB DAC included. The idea would be to upgrade amps for the fronts in the future.

Receiver:
SC-65
SC-75/77
SC-79 (may be cost prohibitive)

Another approach i've toyed with is finding an AVR with the necessary connectivities and adding a separate amp to power the front speakers.

Front L/R:
B&W 683 or CM9 if i can find used
found a deal on an 803s to throw in the mix.
KEF Q900

Subwoofer (only equipment i currently own):
Paradigm DSP-3400

Rear surrounds
In ceiling (recommendations for these would be appreciated as well)

Living/dining/kitchen is one open area. 30'x30'x12' with no wall separations.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
For your HTPC you don't need a receiver that supports a USB connection as HDMI will do the exact same job.

As for receivers, we all have our opinions and there are plusses and minuses for many, Pioneer is a fine brand.

Speakers, you're just going to have to listen to them yourself. Your ears are the only ones that can tell you what you like.

M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
That's for your input. Based on what you're telling me, the SC-65 would suffice with it's D192kHz/32-Bit DAC. I apologize for my rudimentary question. The last receiver I owned just began having HDMi connectivity.

I will most likely invest in a separate amp to drive the fronts and using the AVR as a pre-amp/processor. See any issues with this setup?

G

Grador

The 192/32 bit spec is fairly useless, it represents the maximum sample (192) and bit (32) rate that it supports. That said the DAC is probably very sufficient to do the job well, as will the DAC in any reasonable AVR.

M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
Good to know I can use less of my budget on an AVR with more room for a dedicated amp.

My PC has separate audio and video cards. Does the signal for audio transmit through the video cards HDMi port as well?

G

Grador

Good to know I can use less of my budget on an AVR with more room for a dedicated amp.

My PC has separate audio and video cards. Does the signal for audio transmit through the video cards HDMi port as well?
I'd play around with the AVR before ordering an amp. You may find that you are happy with the results.

The HDMI port on the video card will show up on the computer as if it was a sound card.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
For your in celing surrounds, check these guys out, my brother just installed a pair in his garage. Amazon.com : JAMO IC610SUR Installation Sp : Home Speakers : Electronics amazing sound... they are big and expensive but I may be ordering a set for my garage when I find some on sale... My brother is a jamo fan boy he also has some of the older style dipole in ceilings that sound good for surrounds, cheaper and smaller, not sure if they still sell them the same as his... his look like the ones in this picture but the ones I found when I just searched them look different now...
Amazon.com: SU6.521K4 Jamo 6.5" Kevlar 3-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System (Pair): Electronics
they dont look like these that come up under the same number...
One Pair of White Brand New Klipsch Jamo SU6 521K4 Main Stereo Speakers | eBay

Jamo makes some pretty nice stuff my brother bought some 5. surround set that are all little orbs except the center that is like a double orb, and it sounds pretty good, he has it in his bedroom, I was impressed with it UNTIL I HEARD THE PRICE, he paid $700 and that was with $280 off, LOL... I just shook my head and walked out of the room when he told me that... But they are nice, just I know how much stuff I can buy with $700, and them would not be on the list ....

Last edited:
M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
I'll need to do more investigating for the in ceiling speakers. The Jamo's would be a good place to start. Thanks for the suggestions ImcLoud. How are you enjoying the XPA-5? I was looking at emotiva amps to drive my front sound stage.

M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
Update:
I was able to pick up a set of B&W 804s/HTM4 off of craigslist this past weekend (still wishing they were 803s')...

Looking into receivers now :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
check out accessories4less they have good deals on avr's... I like the emotiva amps, they are a good value, although better back when I bought mine they are still worth the price of admission...

M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
Pioneer SC-55 incoming!

i was wondering if there was a mode in the AVR to allow a separate amp to power 2 channel listening but use onboard amp for HT?
I'd love to be able to eventually pick up a tube amp for stereo audio :)

M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
I have my HTPC hooked up to the AVR via HDMi, any suggestions on the best audio output quality for music?

I've tried, J River, iTunes, and Foobar and i think AirPlay offers the best sound. The only problem is once it starts, i can no longer see my screen from the computer.

I've mediocre sound from movies played on my PC. Are there specific files I need in the codec or player that will help? I'm using VLC. Is the data from audio tracks in movies (DTS, AC-3, etc), transmitted through HDMI, and processed in the AVR? I'm a bit fuzzy in how this process works. If anyone could shed some light, I would really appreciate it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis