Help me find replacement for Infinity P-FR and P-CC Speakers!

L

LANYC

Audiophyte
These speakers were stolen and my insurance company will cover cost of similar speakers made today.

The specs are as follows for the main speakers, and the center speaker is an identical speaker minus the sub-woofer. I found the specs from two sources and listed the details below.

If current speakers are all going to have much better specs, I'd like to know what the highest end speakers that have a similar setup with the built-in subwoofer.

Since these speakers were around 5k retail combined in 1995, I'm looking at something around 10k-20k in todays dollars as a potential maximum price. Is there is anything in that price range that I can justify as being somewhat comparable to the Infinitys?

Thanks very much for any advice or recommendations. I spent a lot of time researching all my components back in the day but have no idea where to start in looking for current comparable replacements.

SPECS:

Four-way dynamic loudspeaker with integral woofer amplifier.

Driver complement: 12" woofer, four 5.25" lower-midrange units,
two 4" upper-midrange drivers,
1" soft-dome tweeter.
Crossover frequencies: 110Hz, 350Hz, and 3kHz.
Frequency response: 25Hz–20kHz ($*–6dB at 25Hz); 35Hz–20kHz ±2dB.
Sensitivity: 96dB/2.83V/1m (anechoic).
Nominal impedance: 6 ohms.
Amplifier requirements: 10–150W.

Dimensions: 7.5" W by 19.5" D by 54.75" H. Weight: 78 lbs each.

—————————————————————
SPECS (from another source)
Type: 4 way, 8 driver loudspeaker system
Frequency Response: 25Hz to 25kHz
Recommended Amplifier: 10 to 150W
Crossover Frequency: 110, 350, 3000Hz
Impedance: 6Ω
Sensitivity: 96dB
Bass: 1 x 300mm
Midbass: 4 x 125mm
Midrange: 2 x 100mm
Tweeter: 1 x 25mm soft dome
Dimensions: 194 x 1390 x 500mm
Weight: 69kg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I feel for you and that really sucks, I had one whole system stolen in August and my speakers came back with a hefty price tag to replace with the same speaker today (custom built) so they gave me the original price I paid for them minus depreciation. They don't go by perceived value, they go by what those speakers would be worth today, meaning the depreciated value if you were to try to sell them now and $10-20K unfortunately isn't what you're likely looking at. So the question is, presumably you want to replace the speakers, what sort of setup are you after? Mainly music, dual purpose or mainly movies? Something comparable to those today that might be in the price range you've specified:

http://www.aerialacoustics.com/

L

LANYC

Audiophyte
Thank you, I feel for both of us :)

I have replacement value insurance, which gives me the value of a current model of similar specs. I paid a premium for that type of insurance, but it's very well worth it if you have a claim. We've gone through most of the audio equipment and other items stolen and I've been very happy with their numbers.

As far as the insurance company is concerned, they're only going to be looking at specs and my justifications for why the speakers are a reasonable replacement for the old ones. It will be dual purpose but that's a topic for another post once I get the claim proceeds :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
RBH and Revel might something with so many drivers :) but prices will vary ....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A buddy of mine used to have the Preludes and though I didn't find them too attractive even at the time, they did sound great.

L

LANYC

Audiophyte
I looked at all the links and it seems to me that the only two models that have a built-in sub and 8 drivers are the Selah Juliette and the RBH.

I know there's a lot more to the speakers than that, but I think my best bet is to keep it very simple when I submit choices to them as comparables.

Thanks to everyone, it's huge help.

Are there any other options that have built-in subs and 8 drivers? The Infinity speakers are also active and 4 way but I don't think I'm going to find anything that matches all of that.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Are there any other options that have built-in subs and 8 drivers? The Infinity speakers are also active and 4 way but I don't think I'm going to find anything that matches all of that.
These are a pair of towers I have. Triple tweeters, 8" mid woofer and built in 12" woofer/subwoofer.

82WC

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
These speakers were stolen and my insurance company will cover cost of similar speakers made today.

The specs are as follows for the main speakers, and the center speaker is an identical speaker minus the sub-woofer. I found the specs from two sources and listed the details below.

If current speakers are all going to have much better specs, I'd like to know what the highest end speakers that have a similar setup with the built-in subwoofer.

Since these speakers were around 5k retail combined in 1995, I'm looking at something around 10k-20k in todays dollars as a potential maximum price. Is there is anything in that price range that I can justify as being somewhat comparable to the Infinitys?

Thanks very much for any advice or recommendations. I spent a lot of time researching all my components back in the day but have no idea where to start in looking for current comparable replacements.

SPECS:

1" soft-dome tweeter.

—————————————————————
That is a terrible shame. Those are outstanding speakers. There were designed by Laurie Fincham who was part of the great KEF team with Raymond Cooke. Andrew Jones learned his craft from Laurie Fincham. Laurie Fincham was one of the greatest speaker designers to ever inhabit the earth.

Look at the performance.

To get that level of performance now is going to cost you at least 30 to 40K and I'm not joking. Who ever did that knew what they where about. You need to push the police to really try and find them. Check eBay, Audiogon and Craig's list. There can't be too many of these for sale. If one comes up it is likely yours.

It is that type of approach together with the legendary BBC monitors in which the greatest names in audio had a hand, including Laurie Fincham that has been the ancestry of my reference monitors. An integrated approach rather then a separate sub is the way to go.

There are few speaker companies in the world who can match that level of performance. even the B & W 800 D will be a step down from what you are used to.

PMC the Professional Monitor Company come to mind, they have a pedigree that goes back to the best BBC designs. You would need to choose from the i series. This Center.
This TL sub would be the perfect accompaniment. I have heard their large TLs and they are superb. In terms of bass accuracy there is nothing that can compare with a good TL and that is what I use.

My next suggestion is to go with ATC. Billy Woodman is probably the among the best in the game now. I would go with his flagship speaker. And this matching center.

You would combine it with a really good sub and just supplement the bass. You would run the ATC full range. I have heard these speakers in the factory demo room and can absolutely vouch for them. This firm puts together sounds system costing million of dollars, like the one in the Disney Concert Hall.

This KEF speaker is in the running, it measures well, but I have never had a chance to hear them. They have this center available.

I suppose the B & W 800D and the Revel Salon is in the running, but a distance form my top two picks.

PMC products are available here.

ATC is available from TransAmerica Audio Group Las Vegas.

W

witthuhna

Enthusiast

SPECS:

1" soft-dome tweeter.

—————————————————————
My father has a pair of these, for some reason the sub will not fire while hooked up to a Denon avr-s910w. Tried tweaking the receiver settings and EQ, configuration, etc. nothing seem to work. The fuse in both is still good, the settings on the twitches are set to on, not sure what to do since they don't have a subwoofer specific cable to plug into the LFE.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My father has a pair of these, for some reason the sub will not fire while hooked up to a Denon avr-s910w. Tried tweaking the receiver settings and EQ, configuration, etc. nothing seem to work. The fuse in both is still good, the settings on the twitches are set to on, not sure what to do since they don't have a subwoofer specific cable to plug into the LFE.
Are both not working? Do you have the speakers set to Large+LFE? Is the auto sense turned on or off?

W

witthuhna

Enthusiast
Are both not working? Do you have the speakers set to Large+LFE? Is the auto sense turned on or off?
Correct, both are not working. I'd have to double check but pretty sure I set both to LARGE, not sure that the receiver has a Large+LFE setting, there is no LFE cord to plug into the receiver from the speakers. Auto sense is set to On.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Correct, both are not working. I'd have to double check but pretty sure I set both to LARGE, not sure that the receiver has a Large+LFE setting, there is no LFE cord to plug into the receiver from the speakers. Auto sense is set to On.
Turn off auto sense and make sure the power is on. It's possible that the auto sense isn't working properly. The large+lfe setting will get you bass and the .lfe channel when present. After those things you'd have to pull the amp and have it tested. Those are some nice speakers, worth fixing.

Edit: make sure subwoofer is set to off (it should be automatically)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Actually what you need to do in the speaker setup menu is to set crossover to none, and mark sub none. LFE + main does not send a full output signal to the speakers, but splits it between the main speakers and the sub outputs. However you can not connect the sub out to those speakers.

Thos speakers could be easily modified by removing the low pass input from the drivers, the AC power to the internal amps and replacing the internal amp with a sub plate amp. Then you could get the LFE signal. That really is the best way to make use of those speakers in an AV system.

W

witthuhna

Enthusiast
Turn off auto sense and make sure the power is on. It's possible that the auto sense isn't working properly. The large+lfe setting will get you bass and the .lfe channel when present. After those things you'd have to pull the amp and have it tested. Those are some nice speakers, worth fixing.

Edit: make sure subwoofer is set to off (it should be automatically)
Definitely some great speakers, we have had them for years, foam rotted so I restored all of them myself, they sound great. Finally found the issue I think. The output was set to stereo, changed to Dolby, also changed the crossovers for each and made it to where bass will come through all speakers and now they are working. Thanks so much for the help! Just had to dig deeper into the menus.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Definitely some great speakers, we have had them for years, foam rotted so I restored all of them myself, they sound great. Finally found the issue I think. The output was set to stereo, changed to Dolby, also changed the crossovers for each and made it to where bass will come through all speakers and now they are working. Thanks so much for the help! Just had to dig deeper into the menus.
Glad you got it all working and continue enjoying them! They are a well designed speaker from the two KEF guys that came over to Harmon, Andrew Jones and Laurie Fincham. Floyd Toole uses them without the subwoofers attached and suspended from the ceiling, IIRC, in his living room theater.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis