Help me decide In Wall 5.1 System or Soundbar

R

Razorback_Fan

Audioholic Intern
I keep going back and forth between what I want, I'm hoping some good advice will follow this thread. I only have a budget of 1500.00 to work with so that is why I was thinking of the Yamaha YSP line. I want a nice clean install with no wires or speakers hanging off the walls standing on the floor etc. Here are the
Room Dimension = 13'8x9'5x13'5 (no back wall as the kitchen is behind the living room.) I would say I listen to HT 60% and Music 40%. I will be having my plasma (PRO-1140HD) installed on June 9th so I have a little time...just trying to make the right choice beforehand.

R

Razorback_Fan

Audioholic Intern
Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I think Inwalls will always sound better to me then On-walls... I just haven't heard anything that was decorative that sounded all that great to me...
It might be more of a pain, or more expensive but worth it in the end...

I honestly can't believe one of those surround soundbars could make me think it sounded like 5.1

Warp

D

djsHTnut

Banned
Also I do currently have an older Kenwood HTB 504 system which has a VR-407 Receiver could I use this receiver and just upgrade the in walls and sub?
This receiver would work, but I think you would find if your budget allows you would be pleased with some of the affordable home receivers out there now. Im not sure what your budget is but check out these:

Pioneer VSX-817K $262 shipped from www.jr.com ( I have ordered from here with no problems)

Sony STR-DG710 $263 shipped from www.jr.com

Either of These two receiver would be nice additions. I have a pioneer VSX-514, Sony STR-DG500, and a Sony STR-DE998 receiver. All of which sounds great, and arent going to break the bank, so i wuldnt expect anything less of the above mentioned. I dont know if the 817 has been reviewed much but the 816 got great reviews, and if you could find one you could probably get it cheap also.

Hope this helps!

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I honestly can't believe one of those surround soundbars could make me think it sounded like 5.1

Warp
Actually, the YSP DOES work... but only in the right room. Not having a back wall will in all practicality negate it's effectiveness. Without a square/rectangular room with walls on all three side (two sides and back) I wouldn't suggest the YSP. You're better off going with inwalls or inceiling speakers if that is your only other option.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Room Dimension = 13'8x9'5x13'5 (no back wall as the kitchen is behind the living room.)
A soundbar won't work well in that room. A room must have 4 complete walls and a square or rectangle shape.

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
I would go all in wall. I helped a friend with a similar budget build a custom media room with in wall speakers. We ended up choosing the Dayton Micro Edge with a Pioneer Elite receiver and a Dayton 15: subwoofer. For the price, they are great in wall speakers and would fit your budget with. Not the best pictures.

Breakdown of the pieces chosen:
Center
Fronts
Rears
Receiver
Subwoofer

The speakers only cost around $250 (minus sub and receiver - $750 with them). I would personally invest in a better sub. You can also check out Accy's for Less for a better deal on a Receiver. The speakers themselves sound really good for the price. You could have a very nice system for the money invested.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I would go all in wall. I helped a friend with a similar budget build a custom media room with in wall speakers. We ended up choosing the Dayton Micro Edge with a Pioneer Elite receiver and a Dayton 15: subwoofer. For the price, they are great in wall speakers and would fit your budget with. Not the best pictures.

Breakdown of the pieces chosen:
Center
Fronts
Rears
Receiver
Subwoofer

The speakers only cost around $250 (minus sub and receiver - $750 with them). I would personally invest in a better sub. You can also check out Accy's for Less for a better deal on a Receiver. The speakers themselves sound really good for the price. You could have a very nice system for the money invested.
Since the thread is from 2007, he may have already decided....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis