help me clarify some stuff for my dj mancave setup

F

fatdjsin

Audiophyte
i got myself a house 3 years ago, i'm in the process of renovating and shaping it to my needs/dreams
i want to split the basement in 2 (it's around 1000 ft2) so the audio part would be 500 sq ft

i'm first of all a dj, been doing it for 20 + years. and home theater enthusiast.
i want a pro level sound system for djing and partying when i get some friends over to mix with me

what i want to acheive, good sound and dynamics !
this is not going to be driven to an insane levels as i care about my ears but i want to be able to enjoy the system without any fear of ever of overdriving it.
---------------------------------
what i got :
-peavey pv1200 power amp
-2 (AMPS DEAD), drivers good, mackie sa1521z
-2 altec lansing big horns (511b horn + driver 808-8a)
-2 rcf sub msw8 (band bass) i hate them they make SO MUCH WIND NOISE !
-2 bose sub no model on it.. i think it's 502 (i don't have the processor)

what i will soon have
-4 sub (2x15 rcf 1000w)
----------------------------------

the questions now :
-----
while making demo and mixtapes at home i used my pioneer ht receiver and i noticed a BIG delay between the input and the output (as a dj i have to sync 2 song together) so delay is a big deal, i tried to turn off every dsp / eq settings ... to no avail i could not remove it.

is this something to expect on every dsp amps ?
would a minidsp introduce a similar delay ? (i'm not talking about the voluntary delay for phase matching)
-----
i want big quality bass, i want to enjoy being shaked by bass,
currently my home theater is a 1000w b&w sub + an aura shaker screwed under my seating position and i love it ! wish i could shake things more. but if i push this setup more it sound funny / bad :(

so i have place enough and 4 twin 15 rcf sub coming. will i be able to have these sound flat and go very low (again i'm not gonna drive them like a deaf zombie) but i want ideally to come close or better the bass from big nightclub.

i'm ready and frankly feel like ... building some big sub box for adding that 20-40hz that will probably miss from the 4 (double 15 rcf).

will i need that (a build to go very low) or i will be able to eq/dsp my 4 big sub to make it a perfect bass ?
------------
is it a good idea to set my bass in 2 different frequency ... let's say my 2 sub will do 50-200hz and the 2 other will do 20-50hz .... would i hear a difference in quality of sound ??
-------------
when you design a sub what is your starting point ? choose a type of enclosure ? then what ? think of the size you want it to be ? select a driver ? select how many drivers ? .... can someone give me an order of the steps they use to conceive a sub ?
-------------
what would you install ? many small top (mid and high) or just 2 big ? 4 corners ?
--------------
in the list of the stuff i currently own do you see something you would keep ? would you keep the mackie and use them as passive ? keep the woofers and build a sub ?... put the bose sub near the dj mixing position? (i'm open to all suggestions)

if you made it all the way down here THANKS
and thanks again if you take some of your time to help me build the dj kit of my dreams :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
i got myself a house 3 years ago, i'm in the process of renovating and shaping it to my needs/dreams
i want to split the basement in 2 (it's around 1000 ft2) so the audio part would be 500 sq ft

i'm first of all a dj, been doing it for 20 + years. and home theater enthusiast.
i want a pro level sound system for djing and partying when i get some friends over to mix with me

what i want to acheive, good sound and dynamics !
this is not going to be driven to an insane levels as i care about my ears but i want to be able to enjoy the system without any fear of ever of overdriving it.
---------------------------------
what i got :
-peavey pv1200 power amp
-2 (AMPS DEAD), drivers good, mackie sa1521z
-2 altec lansing big horns (511b horn + driver 808-8a)
-2 rcf sub msw8 (band bass) i hate them they make SO MUCH WIND NOISE !
-2 bose sub no model on it.. i think it's 502 (i don't have the processor)

what i will soon have
-4 sub (2x15 rcf 1000w)
----------------------------------

the questions now :
-----
while making demo and mixtapes at home i used my pioneer ht receiver and i noticed a BIG delay between the input and the output (as a dj i have to sync 2 song together) so delay is a big deal, i tried to turn off every dsp / eq settings ... to no avail i could not remove it.

is this something to expect on every dsp amps ?
would a minidsp introduce a similar delay ? (i'm not talking about the voluntary delay for phase matching)
-----
i want big quality bass, i want to enjoy being shaked by bass,
currently my home theater is a 1000w b&w sub + an aura shaker screwed under my seating position and i love it ! wish i could shake things more. but if i push this setup more it sound funny / bad :(

so i have place enough and 4 twin 15 rcf sub coming. will i be able to have these sound flat and go very low (again i'm not gonna drive them like a deaf zombie) but i want ideally to come close or better the bass from big nightclub.

i'm ready and frankly feel like ... building some big sub box for adding that 20-40hz that will probably miss from the 4 (double 15 rcf).

will i need that (a build to go very low) or i will be able to eq/dsp my 4 big sub to make it a perfect bass ?
------------
is it a good idea to set my bass in 2 different frequency ... let's say my 2 sub will do 50-200hz and the 2 other will do 20-50hz .... would i hear a difference in quality of sound ??
-------------
when you design a sub what is your starting point ? choose a type of enclosure ? then what ? think of the size you want it to be ? select a driver ? select how many drivers ? .... can someone give me an order of the steps they use to conceive a sub ?
-------------
what would you install ? many small top (mid and high) or just 2 big ? 4 corners ?
--------------
in the list of the stuff i currently own do you see something you would keep ? would you keep the mackie and use them as passive ? keep the woofers and build a sub ?... put the bose sub near the dj mixing position? (i'm open to all suggestions)

if you made it all the way down here THANKS
and thanks again if you take some of your time to help me build the dj kit of my dreams :)
That post makes my head spin.

It seems to me you are mixing the HT and DJ system. This is not a DJ site. However I can tell you that all digital processing has some delay.

it seems to me that for DJ you need a mix panel, turntables and digital audio sources. Go directly from the mix panel to amps or active speakers. I would do your own bass management with an external crossover.

I don't know what sort of sound you are after. Most DJ rigs sound absolutely awful to me. I have never heard a good one, and just cringe every time I' confronted with one. Every time I see one at a wedding reception I know I'm in for a bad evening.

The main reason I think is that DJs have a perfectly vile taste in speakers pretty much universally.

May be you want to do something out of the mold. I don't know.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis