Help me choose a Receiver!

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
Hello,

I am currently contemplating between Receivers. I am looking for something that would last me over 5 years hopefully so having HDCP 2.2 on all ports seems to be important to me. I have a 4K TV already so I want something equipped enough to handle that. I have a BIC F-12 sub and am using KEF Q100's as my main left right speakers for a 2.1 set up. Eventually I would like to expand the set up to be 5.1 and maybe buy stronger front speakers and move the KEF to rear.

I am not especially picky about the receiver having wifi or network as the only important feature would be AirPlay, but I would have that through my Apple TV already so it isn't super important.

I am on a tight budget, looking for $200 - $300 USD. Considering between:
1.) Yamaha RX-V381 : http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...1-ch-x-70-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html
2.) Denon AVR-S510BT: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...2-ch-x-70-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html
3.) Denon X-1200W: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-ch-x-80-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Now of course the X-1200W is the best one but would it be worth the 50% price increase?
Will the Yamaha cut it for me as I am not requiring too much? And is the Yamaha a better choice over the S510?

Open to all opinions. Thank you!!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Didn't you ask same question in another topic? I would go with Denon / Marantz for Audyssey. Denon / Marantz / Yamaha are all solid choices. Just get the unit that fits your budget and has all the features you need.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
+1 here. It is always more about the needed features than anything else. All listed are good choices. I also prefer Marantz/Denon, but Yamaha is a solid performer as well. Could NOT go wrong w/any of them being considered, as long as, it has the needed feature set. Anything above and beyond is just a bonus in my book!

Cheers,

Phil

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
All are terrific choices. Agree you should pick the one that meets your specifications, BUT since you plan to keep it for at least 5 years, understand the "wants" will change..... I think they will all do Atmos, I like the Yamaha 740 Afterlife2 suggests....great price. Too many times we get the item that meets the minimum of what we want, than find things have changed and we want more. I think it's actually better to include "Future Proof" in our minimum requirements. Don't underestimate ATMOS....it DOES make a difference.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
All are terrific choices. Agree you should pick the one that meets your specifications, BUT since you plan to keep it for at least 5 years, understand the "wants" will change..... I think they will all do Atmos, I like the Yamaha 740 Afterlife2 suggests....great price. Too many times we get the item that meets the minimum of what we want, than find things have changed and we want more. I think it's actually better to include "Future Proof" in our minimum requirements. Don't underestimate ATMOS....it DOES make a difference.
The only problem I see w/the 740 is that it is not HDCP 2.2 compliant. To many, that is a big deal because everything is moving in that (4k) direction. Noticed the Samsung 4k BR player is now down to nearly $300. That is much better than $400 when it first was released. Just hope that the trend continues.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis