help me choose a 70" or 75" TV

C

canon007

Enthusiast
I'd like to upgrade my current 63" Samsung plasma tv with either a 70" or 75" 1080P or 4K TV. I'd like to stay under the $3k CDN price point and have only seen the following TV's that are in that range:
1) Samsung UN75J6300 75-in. 1080p Smart LED TV - $2999 (costco)
- indicates a 120 true motion rate. Is that actual refresh rate, or back light?
- Full array micro dimming Pro (direct LED) display

2) Sharp Aquos LC-75N8000U 75-in. Smart 4K Ultra HD LED TV - $3199 Costco
- Refresh Rate: 120HZ
- Full array LED Display
- can't find any reviews

3) LG 70UH6350 70-in. Smart 4K Ultra HD LED TV - $2699 Costco (on sale from $2999)
- refresh rate - true motion 240
- IPS LED display

4) Vizio D70-D3 70-in. Smart 1080p LED TV - $1699
-refresh rate 120 hz
- Full array LED display

I'm mainly interested in watching movies on Blu-ray and watching tv shows with an HD cable receiver and watching hockey in HD. My viewing distance will be close to 20 feet.

Based on these, which TV would be the best option. I still haven't been able to figure out whether the information provided is motion rates and actual refresh rates and how much of a difference there would be between actual and the marketing backlit refresh rates.

Anything else in the 70-75" in this price range?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
At your viewing distance, you need to consider your sources and budget. If you want larger you may not need to consider certain displays. 20' is a long way for dollar to performance ratio. Have you considered front projection?

M

MasterpieceAV

Audiophyte
It's currently priced 300$ over your listed 3k mark but you might consider the Sony XBR75X850d has really good 4K Upscaling for HD content its a true 120hz(Sony Motionflow 960) and overall good image good feature set and you might be able to find one on sale for like 3200ish if you keep your eyes on sale ads...

C

canon007

Enthusiast
It's currently priced 300$ over your listed 3k mark but you might consider the Sony XBR75X850d has really good 4K Upscaling for HD content its a true 120hz(Sony Motionflow 960) and overall good image good feature set and you might be able to find one on sale for like 3200ish if you keep your eyes on sale ads...
Is that in Canada or the USA?

D

DanTou

Audiophyte
I own the LC-75N8000U.

First, it's not full array. It is edge lit, 16 zones.

It is a VA panel, not IPS. When you watch from the sides, image degrades sightly. If this is important for you, get a TV with an IPS panel.

It will not get perfectly dark. But close. With a couple of 60 watts bulbs in my room, there is no way to see where the black frame becomes the black panel when displaying black bars.

I'm sure there are better TVs, but I can't imagine how it could be better (aside from image from sides, and perfect black). Most people would think like me.

If any questions, do ask.

I personnally love this TV, and it will not go back to Costco.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I own the Sony XBR75X850d. I agree with MasterpieceAV. The picture is amazing. When you attach Blu-ray player the TV makes DVD looks almost like Blu-ray. I strongly recommend it.
I bought my TV last black Friday at HH Gregg for $2,800. You can wait one more month and pay much less than now. Trust me you will not regret it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd like to upgrade my current 63" Samsung plasma tv with either a 70" or 75" 1080P or 4K TV. I'd like to stay under the $3k CDN price point and have only seen the following TV's that are in that range:
1) Samsung UN75J6300 75-in. 1080p Smart LED TV - $2999 (costco)
- indicates a 120 true motion rate. Is that actual refresh rate, or back light?
- Full array micro dimming Pro (direct LED) display

2) Sharp Aquos LC-75N8000U 75-in. Smart 4K Ultra HD LED TV - $3199 Costco
- Refresh Rate: 120HZ
- Full array LED Display
- can't find any reviews

3) LG 70UH6350 70-in. Smart 4K Ultra HD LED TV - $2699 Costco (on sale from $2999)
- refresh rate - true motion 240
- IPS LED display

4) Vizio D70-D3 70-in. Smart 1080p LED TV - $1699
-refresh rate 120 hz
- Full array LED display

I'm mainly interested in watching movies on Blu-ray and watching tv shows with an HD cable receiver and watching hockey in HD. My viewing distance will be close to 20 feet.

Based on these, which TV would be the best option. I still haven't been able to figure out whether the information provided is motion rates and actual refresh rates and how much of a difference there would be between actual and the marketing backlit refresh rates.

Anything else in the 70-75" in this price range?
I'm in Ottawa myself and the Costco carried 4K Vizio models as well. I'm not sure why you didn't list these. Also, did you check Costco online?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis