Help -Lost about connecting mac to 1980s Nakamichi

80soundwave

Audiophyte
My guess is this question has already been asked, but I could not find thread. Like many today, I'm looking to integrate my music on computer with my hi-fi and I am completely lost about what steps to take!

My set-up:
music source: spotify premium (HQ streaming checked) on mac desktop
hi-fi: Nakamichi RE-3 (yes the one from the 1980s)

My questions are:
Is the best connection possible just a RCA cable out of the mac into the Nakamichi?

Would a DAC make a difference? From what I've read here the answer seems to be no, but would really like to hear answer based on my setup. Also I know some DAC can receive audio wirelessly -would this be better than RCA out of mac?

My speakers are no-name -I'm going to be upgrading to decent pair. I'm assuming I should just get best $ can afford (about $400-$500) but maybe there are some I should consider given my setup? (I don't want to do wireless speakers).

I know my source, spotify, is a big part of problem & limits me with its quality/compression. I've heard there is software you can use to make a digital streaming source better like Amarra SQ from sonicstudio.com -Is this worth it?

I have speakers on my computer. They are decent (but old) Boston Acoustics. Sounds good. I want to play spotify on my hi-fi because I like using it & like my Nakamichi, but I know it's old & it's tech may not sound good with spotify. I don't want to toss out my Nakamichi but I would buy equipment to compliment it, including an additional amp if that made any sense. Any advice, thoughts are much appreciated.

thank you for your time and thoughts,

selden

selden

Audioholic
Unfortunately, the RCA connection looks to be the best for your current hardware. Better USB DACs are likely to be relatively expensive with no noticeable gain in audio quality. Upgrading audio hardware is an unending quest. Don't forget that the speakers and your room's acoustics have the most effect on the quality of the sound you hear. Electronics are a distant third. Spending your money on quality speakers is a wise investment.

You also might want to investigate music sources other than Spotify, many of which are free and might provide better quality sound.

80soundwave

Audiophyte
great thank you for this info -clarity on issue is what I wanted more than anything & this helps!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis