Help! How do I hook up Headphones to TV with only Coaxial Digital Audio Output??

M

mnweinfeld

Audiophyte
I purchased a TV (Sharp LC-26AD22U) for use in an exercise room. Problem is I cannot hear it when using the treadmill. I wanted to hook up headphones but the only output jack is for Coaxial Digital Audio. I was told that I would need to buy a receiver to hook to this jack and then plug in the headphones into the receiver. Do I really need to buy a new receiver to listen to the headphones? Is there any cheaper alternative? Thanks very much.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
As much as you won't want to hear this, the guy who gave you that advice about the receiver was 100% correct. Sorry.

But, all is not lost. A/V Receivers that can take digital audio inputs can be had for a dime a dozen nowadays. Look at the bright side. You can use a pair (or more) of speakers with it, too. It won't be a wasted investment.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, welcome to the forum!

I haven't been able to find much info yet on that model, but a listing on eBay for it stated that it had both a digital audio output and a headphone output. Are you sure that there isn't a headphone output on it, perhaps underneath a plastic cover on the front or sides?

EDIT: I've now found multiple sites listing a headphone output. Doesn't mean that they are right...

M

mnweinfeld

Audiophyte
Headphone Jack?? And followup question on receivers....

Adam,

Thanks for the response and for looking up some info on the TV. Strange, but I have been over the TV very carefully, and looked in the manual and there is no headphone jack. It does have a built in DVD player - I don't know if this has anything to do with the absence of headphone jacks or not.

In any case, Markw states that A/V receivers that can take digital inputs are "a dime a dozen." As I look for such a receiver online, it seems as if some have digital audio inputs and some don't. Are there any keywords I should look for? ANy inexpensive recommendations? How would I know if a receiver has the input to accept the output from my TV or not??

Thanks very much.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If your TV has a coax digital audio output, then you'd just want to make sure that the receiver has a coax digital audio input. That's what to look for. When I look, I check the descriptions and also often check the pictures of the receivers' back panels to see what connections they have.

An inexpensive option, IMO, is the Onkyo TX-SR506. It is currently just under $200 on Amazon, but I've seen it cheaper. It has two coax digital audio inputs and a headphone jack.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis